DIY Acoustic Panels - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 06:22 PM
Shackster

laserman

Nhan,

See if you can find an commercial building material supplier like this one near me.

LINK

I just picked up six 2" thick 2'x4' Johns Manville equivalent to the OC 703 panels for a total of $69 for a friend to make some panels this week. I don't think you will need the OC 705, which is more expensive. Good luck and I hope you can keep the sale local.

Lou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 81 Old 02-23-09, 11:48 AM
Shackster

Nhan,

There is a place in Plano where I bought my Insul-Shield Product Link sound insulation but only available in 4X100 rolls. The good news is I have a good bit left over so I'll give you a good deal on some of it.

I can also help you with taking off your LS feet if you still need help with that.

I was going to see if I could come over some night this week to try my new grills on your Mini Strata anyway. I can bring the insulation along.

Let me know.

Mike
post #13 of 81 Old 02-23-09, 12:30 PM
Shackster

Quote:
laserman wrote: View Post
Nhan,

See if you can find an commercial building material supplier like this one near me.

LINK

I just picked up six 2" thick 2'x4' Johns Manville equivalent to the OC 703 panels for a total of $69 for a friend to make some panels this week. I don't think you will need the OC 705, which is more expensive. Good luck and I hope you can keep the sale local.

Lou
Lou I am looking forward to building these panels and hearing how they change the acoustics of my room. Then we can share in this thread our results.

Mark

post #14 of 81 Old 02-23-09, 01:00 PM
Senior Shackster
Ray

DIY Acoustic Panels

A new venue for the projects.

Ray
post #15 of 81 Old 02-24-09, 08:15 AM
Shackster

laserman

Thank you Ray for creating this new thread.

Here are some good links to visit and bookmark:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=17771.0

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_m...nt%20Chart.htm

http://bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

http://www.saecollege.de/reference_m.../Diffusion.htm

When you choose a fabric, please make sure you do the "breathe test" or as Nhan likes to refer to it as, the "blow test." You should be able to breathe normally through the fabric. Your reference would be speaker grill material.

Peace and later,
Lou

PS Nhan, I will take pictures of what Mark and I do this week.
post #16 of 81 Old 02-24-09, 09:50 AM

Quote:
When you choose a fabric, please make sure you do the "breathe test" or as Nhan likes to refer to it as, the "blow test." You should be able to breathe normally through the fabric. Your reference would be speaker grill material.

Peace and later,
Lou
Thanks Lou. My wife and I were in the fabric store this past weekend and well, I can't speak for her, but I felt just a little weird blowing through fabric. I wish there was another way of determining proper acoustic properties of fabric.

Here is a link to the absorbent material I used for my bass traps and panels

and some pictures, waiting for fabric and then proper hanging.
post #17 of 81 Old 02-24-09, 10:46 AM
Shackster

laserman

Hi David,

Yeah, the breathe test is fun to do as folks watch. We go to Jo-Ann's and a couple of years ago one of the sales associates came over to ask what we were doing. When we told her she, was very inquisitive about the panel project. A few visits later she approached us and thanked us for passing on the info because she was able to help a few other customers who were looking for fabic to make acoustic panels. She ended up giving us an extra "good will" % off of our purchase that day. :woo:

What thickness of the Boned Logic did you use? We don't have any distributors near us. I did call them to get the price of the 24.25" x 94" X 3.5" rolls and it is very expesive - $139/roll. That's just enough to make two 2' x 4' panels. Wow, that's seems to go beyond the frugal nature of DIYer panels in my book. :biglaugh:

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Lou
post #18 of 81 Old 02-24-09, 12:08 PM

Quote:
What thickness of the Boned Logic did you use? We don't have any distributors near us. I did call them to get the price of the 24.25" x 94" X 3.5" rolls and it is very expesive - $139/roll. That's just enough to make two 2' x 4' panels. Wow, that's seems to go beyond the frugal nature of DIYer panels in my book. :biglaugh:

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Lou
hmmm, I got the 3.5" thick, 24" x 94" long "batts". They came in a bundle of 8. I paid around $80-$90 for the bundle. Are you sure about that price? Check again, I'm guessing you were quoted a bundle of 8 batts.

For about $180, I got 3 2'x4' & 4 2'x2' 3.5" panels plus 2 stacks of 31" (across the front) wedges which go almost 9' high for the front corners and 1 stack of 31" wedges just over 3' for a rear corner. Plus I have 2 full batts left over.

Way cheaper then going rates of the OC or JM fiberboard stuff for the same coverage.
post #19 of 81 Old 02-24-09, 01:37 PM
Shackster

laserman

Hi David,

I called them back and asked if the price they gave me was correct. They said they had indeed misquoted me. The price of a sq.ft is $1.10 and each roll is approxiamately 16 sq. ft. and they do come in a bundle of 8, therefore the price of $139. Okay, that seems more reasonable but still seems to be considerably more than you paid. You got it at the right time and facility.

Just for grins and giggles, I called some of the stores back east, near my home town, and all of them said they don't stock it and it would have to be special ordered in a full bundle (8 rolls). I thought if they had it, I could ask a relative to go pick up a couple of rolls to experiment with. I guess I am S.O.L.

Fiberglass has gone up over 25% since I started making these a couple of years ago. I just paid $1.34 a sq. ft. for two inch thick panels. The cotton you used is definitely easier to work with since you didn't have to worry about the fibers. DIY is still the frugal way to go if someone is handy. If not, places like GIK are a good economical alternative.

Thanks for the info and clarification.

Lou
post #20 of 81 Old 02-24-09, 06:20 PM
Shackster

Here's some pretty affordable material. http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fabric--107.html I bought the Forest Green burlap and it looks pretty in my "North Woods" themed HT/Audio room, and it costs $0.75/sq. ft before shipping.