DIY Acoustic Panels - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Angel City Audio

DIY Acoustic Panels

Posts 1-13 moved here from "New LS Bases" thread. -droht

Quote:
arthurs wrote: View Post
He is not, Nhan is in Frisco Mark....maybe we can run out there weekend after next, I am in Chicago next weekend....one night after work would be possible also...wait a minute, maybe you guys should do this without me, that's more like me, avoiding work! :applause:
Haha! You guys are more than welcome to drop by whenever. Maybe while we work on the LS6s, we can put Art to work with mounting my DIY acoustic panels I'm working on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 01:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Are you wood framing them Nhan?

"Let the floating wall float" - m-fine
post #3 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Angel City Audio

Quote:
Are you wood framing them Nhan?
I figured I'd keep them simple and cheap for the first go-around. I'm wrapping the entire panel with some nice fabric I found at JoAnn's. Looking for some insulation like Owens Corning 705 right now. Do you know of a local carrier? I can always order it off the internet, but would like to use someone local if possible.

Here's the trace of one of the LS6s. The panels-in-the-making are in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Acoustic Panels-ls6-base-trace.jpg  

post #4 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 01:58 PM
Senior Shackster

I'll check with our guys at work tomorrow on the Owens Corning 705, although if Mark reads this tonight he may know...

The panels in my room we just used big velcro patches on all four corners and glued them to the wall and the panel, worked pretty easy....mine have no wood in them though, spray enameled the edges to make them more rigid instead of wood framing....

"Let the floating wall float" - m-fine
post #5 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Angel City Audio

Quote:
I'll check with our guys at work tomorrow on the Owens Corning 705, although if Mark reads this tonight he may know...

The panels in my room we just used big velcro patches on all four corners and glued them to the wall and the panel, worked pretty easy....mine have no wood in them though, spray enameled the edges to make them more rigid instead of wood framing....
Cool....thanks much. I'm making these bigger than normal (2'x5'x4"). I guess the owens corning fiberglass will be 2" thick. Gives me some room to work some rope lights into the back of the frames
post #6 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 02:52 PM

Try these guys for your 705

SPI SPECIALTY PRODUCTS
11232 Leo Ln.
Dallas, 75229
(972) 620-1009

They're in the Royal Ln./Denton Dr area.
post #7 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Angel City Audio

Thank you very much! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Quote:
Rube Crowley wrote: View Post
Try these guys for your 705

SPI SPECIALTY PRODUCTS
11232 Leo Ln.
Dallas, 75229
(972) 620-1009

They're in the Royal Ln./Denton Dr area.
post #8 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 04:19 PM
Shackster

Quote:
PhenomeNhan wrote: View Post
I figured I'd keep them simple and cheap for the first go-around. I'm wrapping the entire panel with some nice fabric I found at JoAnn's. Looking for some insulation like Owens Corning 705 right now. Do you know of a local carrier? I can always order it off the internet, but would like to use someone local if possible.
If you can't find any acoustical material for your panels locally, here's a real good internet source. http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fib...ards--106.html

I bought the Roxul AFB mineral wool for my DIY corner bass traps, as it is 1/3 the price of OC 705, with very similar performance. Great bang for the buck. They also have Roxul Rockboard if you need more rigid stuff. ATS also has very affordable ready made acoustical panels, with free shipping with a purchase over $300. I bought some of those too last fall and have been pleased.
post #9 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 04:50 PM
Shackster
Matt

NVM---didn't read all the way through and MLbrand posted my source as well.:thumbsup:
post #10 of 81 Old 02-22-09, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Angel City Audio

Quote:
mlbrand wrote: View Post
If you can't find any acoustical material for your panels locally, here's a real good internet source. http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fib...ards--106.html

I bought the Roxul AFB mineral wool for my DIY corner bass traps, as it is 1/3 the price of OC 705, with very similar performance. Great bang for the buck. They also have Roxul Rockboard if you need more rigid stuff. ATS also has very affordable ready made acoustical panels, with free shipping with a purchase over $300. I bought some of those too last fall and have been pleased.
Thanks. I'll keep that site in mind re: the Roxul product.