THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens - Page 16 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #151 of 181 Old 03-06-11, 07:21 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Re: THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens

Sure sounds like it would work. I tried it over at a friends house though and it did have an effect, just not the desired one. I can't answer why, but it may be d/t the narrow directivity of his tweeter. You shouldn't have that issue.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 181 Old 03-07-11, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

The foam used on the THX 150 M&K speakers was because of the three close spaced vertically aligned tweeters to control the vertical directivity. The foam helps make them a little more "musical" as they released a cheaper version without the foam.
post #153 of 181 Old 03-07-11, 09:49 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Rummaging through my box of bits and pieces, I found some foam stripping..It's some sort of semi-rigid foam 1/2" thick and 1" wide with sealed faces and it's grey!
I have no idea what it is or even where it came from, but it looks like it might be ideal for putting strips between the tweeter and the port..

I'll try that idea first and then maybe use it to cover the ports completely..
it looks to be quite a porous material so I might be able to use that instead of the cotton balls!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #154 of 181 Old 03-08-11, 09:19 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Well I tried a few different set ups on the Behringers last night, with a variety of end results..
These are the test I did..

Test 1..
Ports stuffed with cotton wool and the foam strips placed between the tweeter and ports..

Not good..The overall sound felt closed and flat, with voices sounding withdrawn..

Test 2..
Ports stuffed with cotton wool and foam strips placed over the ports..

This was a little better and started to sound like it did previously with just the cotton wool, but it still sounded flat and lacked openness..

Test 3..
Cotton wool removed and just the foam strips stuffed into the ports..

This set up sounded very similar to the ports stuffed with cotton wool..Overall the sound was very smooth and I could hear more timbre to the instruments.The highs sounded really sweet with no sign of edginess..Voice projection was good, but it still lacked a bit of openness and the low to mid bass didn't have that clarity that I had heard previously..

Test 4..

This time I stuffed the bottom half of the ports only with the foam and left the top half open..

That did it for me!..I retained all the benefits of test 3 but now the openness had returned and the low to mid bass sounded much clearer..
Voice and instrument projection was very good..and it was very easy to pin point and track sounds across the screen and beyond!
It also showed me just how affective the THX Baffle Wall really is..

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #155 of 181 Old 03-08-11, 09:25 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Sweet Prof! You really are inspiring me to get to work......

Dan

Last edited by DanTheMan; 03-09-11 at 11:03 PM.
post #156 of 181 Old 03-11-11, 03:36 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
This is a cool thread guys!

The one doubt I have is regarding installing typical monitor speakers in this configuration. Most have baffle step compensation built into the crossover to account for their own baffle width. Isn't this installation going to screw up the polar response? A baffle step compensation isn't going to work properly in an infinite baffle.

I can see it working if the speaker was designed for IB or if you are eliminating the factory crossover but I don't think those Berhingers are designed that way...
post #157 of 181 Old 03-12-11, 12:52 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

It won't screw up the polar response(should actually fix some problems there), and his automatic EQ should fix the bass. That is what the baffle will screw up in a sense. So actually it's a win-win. Additional free bass from acoustics, means a cut from the electronics which frees up headroom and reduces energy consumption.

a happier planet,

Dan
post #158 of 181 Old 03-12-11, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Yes mine boosted the mid bass.
post #159 of 181 Old 03-12-11, 05:30 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
vann_d wrote: View Post
The one doubt I have is regarding installing typical monitor speakers in this configuration. Most have baffle step compensation built into the crossover to account for their own baffle width. Isn't this installation going to screw up the polar response?
Polar response it quite good actually..Certainly better than my previous set up..

Quote:
A baffle step compensation isn't going to work properly in an infinite baffle.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here..The baffle wall isn't an infinite baffle!

Quote:
DanTheMan wrote: View Post
It won't screw up the polar response(should actually fix some problems there), and his automatic EQ should fix the bass. That is what the baffle will screw up in a sense. So actually it's a win-win. Additional free bass from acoustics, means a cut from the electronics which frees up headroom and reduces energy consumption.
That is something I've noticed also..At times I think that it's lacking a bit in bass, but then when it's there in the movie it really comes through in bags!!

Quote:
Mark Techer wrote: View Post
Yes mine boosted the mid bass.
Likewise!

Prof..

post #160 of 181 Old 03-15-11, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Here are some photos of that baffle wall project I have been involved in.

Image 1: LCR and Sub in place.

Image 2: Screen in place.

Today was the first real look and listen and it impressed me. I so want to upgrade my screen fabric now.
Attached Thumbnails
THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens-chris-k-baffle-wall-3.jpg  

THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens-chris-k-baffle-wall-4.jpg