THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens - Page 17 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #161 of 181 Old 03-16-11, 05:14 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens

Those speakers look to be very close together..What width screen is he using?
Also is there any reason why he has his sub mounted behind the screen area and not on the floor?

Upgrade your screen fabric to what!?

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 181 Old 03-16-11, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Those speakers look to be very close together..What width screen is he using?
The screen itself is 2820mm wide (3000 including the frame). Yes they do look close in that picture. They are actually about 2250mm apart. The speakers are inside the 1.78:1 area and listening tests proved the sound to picture match works extremely well. We had to pull the grills off before putting the screen up.

Quote:
Also is there any reason why he has his sub mounted behind the screen area and not on the floor?
The SUB is sitting on a concrete step that runs the full width of the room.
The room is kind of a basement - retro fit out to make a room under the house. The house is on a side of hill, so he built a room underneath using the highest part, then decided to built that into a HT. I actually suggested that he turn the room around and he then could have had a much larger screen than the 120" (approx) he has now. Even though his retro fit allowed a brand new plan, he still wanted to have the room the way it is now.

Quote:
Upgrade your screen fabric to what!?
I have the stuff on the left. He has the stuff on the right. I too want the stuff on the right.

Even with my glasses, I could not see the weave past 1m off the screen. My front row is 2x the image height or just under 2m and I can see the weave that close. My fabric has 95/5% screen surface to perf. This stuff has 97/3%. More surface area and smaller holes per square unit area make this a better AT fabric.
post #163 of 181 Old 03-16-11, 05:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Mark Techer wrote: View Post
The screen itself is 2820mm wide (3000 including the frame). Yes they do look close in that picture. They are actually about 2250mm apart. The speakers are inside the 1.78:1 area and listening tests proved the sound to picture match works extremely well. We had to pull the grills off before putting the screen up.
That is surprising that they're that far apart!

Quote:
The SUB is sitting on a concrete step that runs the full width of the room.
That explains it!

Quote:
I have the stuff on the left. He has the stuff on the right. I too want the stuff on the right.

Even with my glasses, I could not see the weave past 1m off the screen. My front row is 2x the image height or just under 2m and I can see the weave that close. My fabric has 95/5% screen surface to perf. This stuff has 97/3%. More surface area and smaller holes per square unit area make this a better AT fabric.
Is this the locally produced 4K fabric? I tried Seymour AV 4K fabric and didn't like it as much as their XD material..To me it looked to be a lower gain and the overall image was a little darker..
It certainly does allow you to sit closer though and not see any texture..

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #164 of 181 Old 03-16-11, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
Is this the locally produced 4K fabric? I tried Seymour AV 4K fabric and didn't like it as much as their XD material..To me it looked to be a lower gain and the overall image was a little darker..
It certainly does allow you to sit closer though and not see any texture..
The true SmX 4K looks exactly the same the 2K (on the left) only the threads are half the size resulting in a much finer weave.

Everything else I have seen in Australia (whilst good) is not the same. I got to meet Ruben when I was in the US last year and naturally he was not going to disclose the source of the fabric nor would he supply a sample.

It appears that both fabrics in my image are made from the same stuff, just a weave pattern on the stuff I used. The image is bright with really nice whites. You can clean it with a damp cloth and it does not rip easily.
post #165 of 181 Old 03-17-11, 05:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Mark Techer wrote: View Post
You can clean it with a damp cloth and it does not rip easily.
That's where the two types differ..According to Chris, you can't clean the Seymour 4K. material (which is actually Screen Excellence fabric) with just a damp cloth!..Infact one of the reasons I went for the XD material..

Prof..

post #166 of 181 Old 03-17-11, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
That's where the two types differ..According to Chris, you can't clean the Seymour 4K. material (which is actually Screen Excellence fabric) with just a damp cloth!..Infact one of the reasons I went for the XD material..
Did they give a reason as to why? This stuff is an indoor shade or blind material after all.
post #167 of 181 Old 03-18-11, 06:42 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Chris didn't elaborate as to why you can't use a damp cloth..
To look at the two types..the XD looks and feels like a blind material, but the 4K. is totally different..It's quite a bit thinner and feels more like a cotton dress fabric!

Prof..

post #168 of 181 Old 03-18-11, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
It's quite a bit thinner and feels more like a cotton dress fabric!
Is it like the Screen Research product? That felt like tee shirt material and looked to me like a pain to keep clean.

Dry dust clothing would be the best solution to the other weaves with damp cloths used only to remove a stain.
post #169 of 181 Old 03-19-11, 05:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

I've not seen the Screen Research fabric, but it does sound very similar..

With my theatre being right next to the kitchen, cooking fumes tend to find their way into the room..hence the need to be able to wash the screen as opposed to just dry dusting..

Prof..

post #170 of 181 Old 03-19-11, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

I had a similar issue when I was living in a town house. Since the new room has been commissioned, there is a NO FOOD policy in there and drinks are restricted as well.

Looks like I might have another Baffle Wall project coming up in the coming weeks. This will be a retro fit and conversion from 16:9 to an AT Scope screen.