THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 181 Old 02-11-11, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Re: THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens

That is made from 2400mm x 300mm x 16mm (x2) and 1100mm x 300mm x 16mm (x2) black laminated MDF and was the 'expensive" part of the project. I stacked the two long lengths, then drilled the holes for the 6 pieces of pine which were screwed into place before adding the raw MDF baffles. I just wish I had used the 2mm plastic edging instead of that 0.5mm edging. The 2mm stuff actually takes a knock without chipping or cracking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 181 Old 02-11-11, 04:40 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Thanks Mark..that's what I was wanting to know..
I'll will probably just use to 300mm.wide MDF and paint it black!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #23 of 181 Old 02-11-11, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Hopefully the guy that I'm helping will sign up and post photos of his baffle wall soon. He is doing the full wall. I think given the chat on other forums, this is really a good place to start over and develop the HT version.

post #24 of 181 Old 02-11-11, 09:49 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Mark - Thanks for posting all the pictures.

Has definitely given me food for thought in terms of designing a baffle wall down the road..

You've definitely done a nice job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #25 of 181 Old 02-12-11, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Thank you. Yes I like the end result.
post #26 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 02:30 AM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

Great job on the baffle wall Mark!

I was wondering during your course if they stipulated an ideal radius for the curve?

Cheers
Simon

post #27 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
raZorTT wrote: View Post
Great job on the baffle wall Mark!

I was wondering during your course if they stipulated an ideal radius for the curve?

Cheers
Simon
Thanks Simon.

Curve for the wall? They actually seemed to suggest a flat wall and toe the speakers in from that. I ran with my three panel wall because it made sense at the time and was fairly easy to construct. In fact, during design, my speakers were on wide stands under the screen that mimicked a baffle wall to a degree and they were already set up in the same fashion, so I knew then that they idea would work.
post #28 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 05:25 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Hey Mark..

You mentioned previously that not all speakers are suitable for a baffle wall set up..particularly speakers with rear drivers and or ports, which I can understand..
But are there any other types of speakers that won't work in this type of installation?

For example I have Behringer Monitors which are nearfeild speakers..Would this type of speaker be suitable in a baffle wall?

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #29 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 05:55 PM
Senior Shackster

raZorTT

Quote:
Mark Techer wrote: View Post
Thanks Simon.

Curve for the wall? They actually seemed to suggest a flat wall and toe the speakers in from that. I ran with my three panel wall because it made sense at the time and was fairly easy to construct. In fact, during design, my speakers were on wide stands under the screen that mimicked a baffle wall to a degree and they were already set up in the same fashion, so I knew then that they idea would work.
Thanks Mark

Forgive my ignorance, but what advantage do you get by building a baffle wall that you don't get by treating the entire wall behind the speakers?

Love the rig setup by the way, great idea for a rented house!

Cheers,
Simon

post #30 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Hey Mark..

You mentioned previously that not all speakers are suitable for a baffle wall set up..particularly speakers with rear drivers and or ports, which I can understand..
But are there any other types of speakers that won't work in this type of installation?

For example I have Behringer Monitors which are nearfeild speakers..Would this type of speaker be suitable in a baffle wall?
Not sure how near field monitors would go baffled to be honest. This is assuming they are the same type as I have seen in recording studios that sit on the top of the console. I have seem images of monitors that have been "built in". What makes such a speaker "near field" anyway?

The baffle wall is about directing all the sound into the listening space and provides a fixed symmetrical environment for them. The same speakers behave differently in a free space on stands due to the interactions with the room. The baffle simply acts as an extension to the speaker's own baffle and it is treated for HF reflections, something very few rooms (apart from curtains which are usually not symmetrical to the speakers) are.

Quote:
raZorTT wrote: View Post
Thanks Mark

Forgive my ignorance, but what advantage do you get by building a baffle wall that you don't get by treating the entire wall behind the speakers?

Love the rig setup by the way, great idea for a rented house!

Cheers,
Simon
Hi Simon,

It appears I just answered that in the response to Prof. Providing a controlled symmetrical space that is treated. A standard room could be anything from open plan, brick, timber, plaster or even glass. The chances of finding a room that is truly symmetrical with good acoustic properties is rare as most "rooms" were made for living in, not designed for film and music playback. So whilst the baffle really only controls the direct area around the speakers, it has to be more predictable that the average room.

Yeah the rig was designed to be movable. I wanted what would normally be considered a "no go" for a rental. In the end, a rental is still just a roof over my head (with many restrictions), so I figured that if I am living there and paying for that privilege, why not enjoy the system to the max in the space I have.