THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 08:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens

Quote:
Mark Techer wrote: View Post
Not sure how near field monitors would go baffled to be honest. This is assuming they are the same type as I have seen in recording studios that sit on the top of the console.
They are..
Quote:
What makes such a speaker "near field" anyway?
To be honest I don't know..All I know is that they can be positioned close to the recording engineer and that monitors generally have a very flat response through the frequency range..
The Behringers are virtually flat from 55Hz - 21KHz..

I was a bit concerned when I bought them as to whether they would give enough projection of sound for a theatre set up..
I found that they have as much projection as any other speakers and my individual sound levels remained about the same as set for my previous speakers!

I can't see that there would be any problems with mounting them in a baffle wall!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 09:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

I could be wrong, but I think part of what makes a "nearfield" monitor nearfield - is dispersion characteristics.

I think that most of them are designed to have very wide dispersion, since they likely are sitting just a few feet away from your face --- when used in a studio.

Prof - which ones do you have? 2031A?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #33 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 09:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Jim..I think you're right..I seem to remember reading somewhere about their dispersion characteristics..
Wide dispersion would seem to be ideal for a front stage set up..

I have the 2030p's..I was considering the 2031p's but they only come in 4 ohm..

Prof..

post #34 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 09:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

You happy with the 2030s?

I've thought about buying a pair of 2030/2031s -- with as good as they're supposed to sound.

Would be nice to have a pair of very flat speakers.

post #35 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 09:29 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Very happy with the 2030's..infact I've just ordered another pair to use one as my centre speaker (only wanted one but they come in matched pairs) to have all matching speakers across the front..for when I build my baffle wall..

They have a very smooth sound across the range with silky highs!

Prof..

post #36 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 09:48 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Here's some monitor graphs to look at: http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/2011/...ar-graphs.html

I actually have 5 of the 2031P in my theater. Price to performance I couldn't be happier. It was only $152 for my matched pairs X2 and then I paid $140 for the center channel. I probably should've bought another pair for the extra $12 and had other parts laying around in case something broke.

anyway,

Dan
post #37 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
I found that they have as much projection as any other speakers and my individual sound levels remained about the same as set for my previous speakers!

I can't see that there would be any problems with mounting them in a baffle wall!
And from that, then neither do I. I guess the so called "near field flat response" would almost be like an anechoic response - IE flat with no assistance from the room itself and why they can be used close to the mixer. Some "music" speakers seem to need 'breathing space" to give their best. These would be no good for near field monitoring and may even suffer as a result from being baffled.
post #38 of 181 Old 02-13-11, 09:54 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

The 2031P have a forward lobe angled toward the tweeter:
http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/searc...&max-results=7

IOW away from the console. This is good for the HT guy as well b/c you can mount them lower and the center channel can be beneath your screen while the treble reaches your ear.

Dan
post #39 of 181 Old 02-14-11, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

I did treat behind mine in the current room because I had already done the treatments prior to moving the gear in. In the room prior, I didn't really have much apart from a few pieces of foam sheet thrown behind for good measure. In the town house where the rig first built (07) was built, I had nothing behind the wall.

The real THX wall I got to see also didn't appear to have anything either. It seemed that they simply used the space behind as storage.
post #40 of 181 Old 02-14-11, 03:22 AM
Ile
Shackster

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Many studio monitors are designed also for flush mounting to wall in mind and those have dip switch to drop bass level few dB in the region below 200 Hz.

http://www.genelecusa.com/ht/learnin...nting-to-wall/

Those Behringers are copy of 90's Genelecs.
http://www.genelecusa.com/products/p...-models/1030a/
http://www.genelecusa.com/products/p...-models/1031a/

When I visited at their factory, best speaker set was three flush mounted 1036a.

Here's some info about that room.
http://www.genelec.fi/documents/publ...ns/aes16th.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens-1036a.jpg