THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 05:37 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens

Quote:
DanTheMan wrote: View Post
WoW! Even the graphs of the Genelec and Behringer (as I measured) are close to identical. The graphs of the newer Genelec monitors step it up a notch.

Dan
That is surprising, considering the price difference between the two brands!..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 05:48 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Mark Techer wrote: View Post
Well that is what I would think too and why if possible, build the faceted wall as I have done. It is not that hard as you simply add material behind one side to bring it out. If you absolutely knew the angle, you could simply have triangles cut from MDF as a template to ensure the wall was vertical.
Yes..I have to cut three separate panels anyway to make it easier for a one man installation, so that will allow me to angle the L&R panels to match the toe in..

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #53 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 05:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
Prof. wrote:
That is surprising, considering the price difference between the two brands!..
Ive seen a thread somewhere on modding the Behrs to improve them too... easy to take apart apparently.

post #54 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 05:57 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Each speaker sits on a square of 2mm neoprene (dive suite rubber) to prevent it moving or vibrating due to any seismic activity from the SUBs.
I've been thinking that I would need something like that, to stop the speakers jumping around with sub vibrations!..
I was planning on using that non slip rubbery mat stuff you can buy in small rolls and different colours, Can't remember the name of it but it looks like a weaved mat..
Do you think that would be suitable or would it compress too much? The Behringers are quite heavy for their size..

Prof..

post #55 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 06:00 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post
Ive seen a thread somewhere on modding the Behrs to improve them too... easy to take apart apparently.
Yes I saw that..I think it was Dan the man that did the tests!

Prof..

post #56 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Yes..I have to cut three separate panels anyway to make it easier for a one man installation, so that will allow me to angle the L&R panels to match the toe in..
For sure. I think it is easier to divide the wall into three and go from there. Certainly much easier to lift one panel into place at a time. Will you curve your AT screen too?

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
I've been thinking that I would need something like that, to stop the speakers jumping around with sub vibrations!..
I was planning on using that non slip rubbery mat stuff you can buy in small rolls and different colours, Can't remember the name of it but it looks like a weaved mat..
Do you think that would be suitable or would it compress too much? The Behringers are quite heavy for their size..
The neoprene I had excess from when I was making MK1 and 2s . I know the weave your talking about and it might be OK for that purpose.
post #57 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 08:30 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Dunno if anyone cares, but I read in a THX document once that they require sub-woofers to rest on Mason Super W pads.

I've seen sections sold on various sites, some information here:
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/mo...per_w_pads.htm

I'm sure there are equivalents - but wanted to throw it out if you were trying to find somthing a little more "industrial" in terms of isolating the speakers.

post #58 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

They look neat. I like how you buy a sheet and cut what you need off or out. A good idea. I wonder if I can get these in AU or do I have to import them.
post #59 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 08:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
They look neat. I like how you buy a sheet and cut what you need off or out. A good idea. I wonder if I can get these in AU or do I have to import them.
I had a feeling you'd ask...

I've had a hard time finding any place in the US that sells it... I think it's rarely purchased by individuals..

I found this:
http://www.labsafety.com/Super-W-Vib...ters_29527755/

And that's $86 for an 18" x 18" square. Seems rather pricey. Hmmm.. $72 here, http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MAS...tion-Pad-4C972

70-80 seems expensive for 4.5 lbs of rubber.

post #60 of 181 Old 02-15-11, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post
I had a feeling you'd ask...

I've had a hard time finding any place in the US that sells it... I think it's rarely purchased by individuals..

I found this:
http://www.labsafety.com/Super-W-Vib...ters_29527755/

And that's $86 for an 18" x 18" square. Seems rather pricey. Hmmm.. $72 here, http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MAS...tion-Pad-4C972
OK, so if they are 45PSI rated, and there is 81 of them per sheet, do you really need the whole sheet or do you cut away individuals and bond (using double sides tape) one per corner of the speaker?

Quote:
70-80 seems expensive for 4.5 lbs of rubber.

I will go down to a local rubber supplier later today and ask and them for a price on their similar rated rubber mats and we shall see what they have and what they want for it. I just have to remember not to mention HT or it goes up 3x anyway. The mere mention of HT in this country seems to be as bad as the word "wedding".

Last edited by Mark Techer; 02-16-11 at 12:06 AM.