THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 181 Old 02-16-11, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Re: THX Style Baffle Walls for AT Screens

OK just got back from a local rubber supplier that was running a few specials. They have a 450mm x 450mm x 8mm rubber grid called an "anti-vibration pad" for $29.95. I could not see a rating on it, so not sure if it is the same thing as the one in the link. It is basically two grid pieces bonded so that the cross of each grid on one side lines up with the centre of the square hole of the second.

The other product that caught my eye was called a "dome mat" which is a rubber mat with small domes all over the surface. It was softer to walk on than the "anti-vibration pad" and was about $50 for a 900mm x 600mm mat wasn't too badly priced. If I was to cut this in half (600 x 450), I'd be able to use the one mat under both SUBs.

The convoluted foam is still hideously expensive though.

Last edited by Mark Techer; 02-16-11 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 181 Old 02-16-11, 07:10 AM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Quote:
Mark Techer wrote: View Post
OK, so if they are 45PSI rated, and there is 81 of them per sheet, do you really need the whole sheet or do you cut away individuals and bond (using double sides tape) one per corner of the speaker?
The last install I saw, had individual pieces under the sub in the corners... So, 4 of them resting under.... approx 200 lbs of sub?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #63 of 181 Old 02-16-11, 04:47 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
For sure. I think it is easier to divide the wall into three and go from there. Certainly much easier to lift one panel into place at a time. Will you curve your AT screen too?
No..I've decided to leave it flat for now..I get very little pin cushion and what I do get doesn't bother me..and now with the velvet borders I can't see anything!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #64 of 181 Old 02-16-11, 04:56 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Zeitgeist wrote: View Post
Dunno if anyone cares, but I read in a THX document once that they require sub-woofers to rest on Mason Super W pads.

I've seen sections sold on various sites, some information here:
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/mo...per_w_pads.htm

I'm sure there are equivalents - but wanted to throw it out if you were trying to find somthing a little more "industrial" in terms of isolating the speakers.
Those pads look very interesting..It's a pity we can't get them here..

Prof..

post #65 of 181 Old 02-16-11, 05:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
OK just got back from a local rubber supplier that was running a few specials. They have a 450mm x 450mm x 8mm rubber grid called an "anti-vibration pad" for $29.95. I could not see a rating on it, so not sure if it is the same thing as the one in the link. It is basically two grid pieces bonded so that the cross of each grid on one side lines up with the centre of the square hole of the second.

The other product that caught my eye was called a "dome mat" which is a rubber mat with small domes all over the surface. It was softer to walk on than the "anti-vibration pad" and was about $50 for a 900mm x 600mm mat wasn't too badly priced. If I was to cut this in half (600 x 450), I'd be able to use the one mat under both SUBs.

The convoluted foam is still hideously expensive though.
That dome mat material looks interesting..Do you know if Clark's have it?

Prof..

post #66 of 181 Old 02-17-11, 07:46 AM
Senior Shackster
patchesj

That dome mat looks like the stuff you see in commercial kitchens or wherever people are standing all day long.
post #67 of 181 Old 02-17-11, 07:59 AM
Elite Shackster

Jim

I honestly wonder what the difference is between some rubber mats and so-called acoustical rubber mats.

I imagine that the acoustical rubber mats have more flex and are better at isolation -- but I can't imagine that rubber door mats or whatever - are that much worse.

post #68 of 181 Old 02-17-11, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
The last install I saw, had individual pieces under the sub in the corners... So, 4 of them resting under.... approx 200 lbs of sub?
I suppose compression under weight would not be as issue anyway. I am guessing the point is that it stops direct contact with the floor. I used pieces of foam under my subs for years. Foam compresses too, but only so much (about half the original thickness) and best of all, it kept them from wondering as it grips really well to the floor.

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
No..I've decided to leave it flat for now..I get very little pin cushion and what I do get doesn't bother me..and now with the velvet borders I can't see anything!
There is nothing wrong with flat if you are not bothered with pincushion. You have to remember, when I curved mine back in 07, I was running a very short TR of just 1.3:1, so really had no choice.
post #69 of 181 Old 02-17-11, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Quote:
That dome mat material looks interesting..Do you know if Clark's have it?
Yes they do and where I saw it.

Quote:
patchesj wrote: View Post
That dome mat looks like the stuff you see in commercial kitchens or wherever people are standing all day long.
I'd be happy standing on that all day

Quote:
Those pads look very interesting..It's a pity we can't get them here..
Like so many things...

Quote:
I honestly wonder what the difference is between some rubber mats and so-called acoustical rubber mats.

I imagine that the acoustical rubber mats have more flex and are better at isolation -- but I can't imagine that rubber door mats or whatever - are that much worse.
A name? The so called "anti-vibration mats I looked at were quite hard and why the "dome" mats caught my attention.
post #70 of 181 Old 02-18-11, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Mark Techer

Here is an update on that project I said I was involved in.

Image 1: The original room with a bitmap overlay
Image 2: The new baffle wall. You will notice that the cutouts are over-sized and this is because he intends to upgrade the speakers soon. Currently he has a THX Select system from M&K and is planning on upgrading to the THX150 system. He will fill the cavities with foam for now.

Last edited by Mark Techer; 02-18-11 at 10:07 PM.