help with further construction off cinema / music room sloped front and rear wall - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 78 Old 05-16-13, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: help with further construction off cinema / music room sloped front and rear wall

1/3 octaaf smoothing, only fronts
Attached Thumbnails
help with further construction off cinema / music room sloped front and rear wall-image.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 05-17-13, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: help with further construction off cinema / music room sloped front and rear wall

Further listening is telling me that without subs, the room definitly sounds pretty good, there is an occasional boom in the bassfrequency, probably the peaks at 55 and 100hz, it would be great if i could get rid of those, without further lowering the overall rt60 times above 200Hz
Attached Thumbnails
help with further construction off cinema / music room sloped front and rear wall-rt60.jpg  

Last edited by mikesp1; 05-20-13 at 04:14 AM.
post #63 of 78 Old 05-22-13, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Bpape,

i did different test with trapping in midlle of backwall aswell as in backcorners. (see posts above)
it did nothing to the spikes in the 55hz and 100hz range but instead created a dip in 200hz to 300hz range.

Do i need more trapping on frontwall or do you think left and right to ceiling corners can help here?

thanks a lot!

post #64 of 78 Old 05-27-13, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Anybody?
post #65 of 78 Old 05-29-13, 04:44 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Your frequency response plots with smoothing really look pretty good.

I read through your posts quickly and could not tell if any of the absorption is thick enough to be effective as bass traps. Traps need to be 6" to 8" thick to be effective. I ended up with 5 of GIK's Monster Traps in my room plus R30 insulation above a suspended ceiling before I got the waterfall plots to look acceptable. But, as you have noted, my room does sound rather dead. But, it is 100% HT, so that works for me. Perhaps adding some dispersion panels would liven up the room for music.

I can identify with your concern about matching the subs to the sound of Klipsch. I have Klipschorns in my system and found that sealed subs, in my case Hsu ULS-15s, matched rather well. I still have the excellent transient response of the horn bass plus nice, tight LFE from the subs. I recently added Hsu MBMs to the system in sealed mode to add more "punch" to the system.

In summary, I think you have made good progress in treating your system. I agree with Bryan that the first few plots appeared to have the sub level up a little high.

Hug your pet today!
post #66 of 78 Old 05-29-13, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

hjones4841,

The room is definitly sounding verry well now. I am verry verry happy.

Currently i am still playing without subs but ordered two SI18's and will put them in sealed enclosures.
I will report later on if they blend with the rest of the system.

Bpape helped me a lot with this room and he was right on almost all things he suggested, so a big thanks to him!

I have learned that at a point it's time to listen to music and dont look too much at frequency graphs!
post #67 of 78 Old 05-29-13, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

How do you like your Klipschorns?
post #68 of 78 Old 07-04-13, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Ok, in the past weeks i managed to build four SI18 sealed subwoofers.

I am wondering if someone can give me some advice regarding placement of the four subs regarding room modes.

room is 11.7 foot wide
20.8 foot long
7.6 foot high

Thanks a lot!
post #69 of 78 Old 07-31-13, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

finished frontwall:
Attached Thumbnails
help with further construction off cinema / music room sloped front and rear wall-2.jpg  

help with further construction off cinema / music room sloped front and rear wall-4.jpg  

post #70 of 78 Old 07-31-13, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

My System

Installed fiber optic star ceiling:
Attached Thumbnails
help with further construction off cinema / music room sloped front and rear wall-stars.jpg