Acoustic Treatment Phase 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 51 Old 10-25-13, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Acoustic Treatment Phase 2

I caught the upgrade bug this year and decided to go from 5.1 to 7.1 to 9.1 to 11.1 and buy or build some larger subs. I sold my 7.1 pre/pro and one sub and bought some extra surround speakers. Long story short, I am now wired and "speakered" for up to 11.1, but have not yet purchased a new receiver or subs. I am stalled partially due to funding but also due to the realization that I need to improve my room acoustics first, or I may just be wasting money on equipment upgrades. I think now is the best time to do it, but I want to throw a few ideas out there and get some feedback before I start. For reference, there are some fairly recent photos of my room here (latest photos toward the bottom). The panels on the side walls are 2 inch thick OC 703 and they are flush mounted. The placement is based partially on aesthetics, and partially on the first reflection points of an earlier seating arrangement. To give you an idea of my starting point, I have included some REW measurements below.

Measurement Graphs
The graphs represent response from several different system configurations (including several different subs in different locations, several different receivers/processors, and a few different main listening positions). These measurements were all taken without EQ or room correction applied. The side wall panels were installed before all of these measurements.

Full Range Frequency Response

Bass Only Frequency Response

The waterfalls correspond to four of the FR curves on the graphs above

Waterfall 1

Waterfall 2

Waterfall 3

Waterfall 4

Based on listening/measuring, my target areas are (in this order):

1st - 30-60Hz
2nd - 100-200Hz
3rd - 200-1kHz (if it is still an issue after treating 1 & 2)

So here are some ideas I'm kicking around...

1. Double the 2" panels on the side walls (2 panels each in a 4" deep wood frame) and mount them with a 2"-4" air gap to the wall (meaning the frame is open front and back).

2. Add diffusers between existing panels on side walls. My initial thought would be the 2'x2' DIY wooden QRD "skyline" diffuser panels - 4 total.

3a. Triangular bass traps in the rear corners (can't do front corner placement due to existing doors). I'm thinking DIY, either mineral wool or pink fluffy, probably about 4' tall with a 24" wide face.

3b. OR move the side wall panels closest to the back wall into the back corners and make them thicker (i.e. like step 1 - 4" or 6" thickness) for bass trapping.

4. Add damping to the 1st ceiling reflection, probably 2 or 3 panels, 2" or 4" thick, something similar to what I end up with on the side walls.

5. Damping/Diffusion behind front speakers? This is a maybe since I plan to cover the entire front wall/doors with heavy curtains, mostly for aesthetics/light reflection.

Ideally I would have the budget and time to do all of these, and maybe someday I'll get there. I guess what I'm looking for in terms of feedback is - if I could pick two, maybe 3 to do first, which will give me the best bang for my buck? I'm thinking 3a, 1, and 2 in that order to start. I assume triangular corner traps are my best bet for the 30-60Hz range. Will they be effective in the back corners if my subs are at the front of the room? Will option 1 improve my 200-2kHz response, or will the difference be negligible?

Last edited by Peter Loeser; 10-31-13 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Spelled acoustic wrong in the title... duh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-25-13, 12:09 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: Acoutic Treatment Phase 2

5a. Damp the entire front wall to address reflections from the surrounds messing up the front soundstage.

In the rear, stay with the triangular chunks. Better performance for the same $$$ as 6" straddling.

Side wall panels - going to 4" is good. Probably a 2" gap is fine.

I would do side wall and corners first. Diffusion probably last.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #3 of 51 Old 10-25-13, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Thanks for the feedback Bryan. When I get around to treating the front wall, will 2" thick panels be sufficient?

post #4 of 51 Old 10-25-13, 02:51 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Generally speaking, yes. 2' will be fine. You can go thicker but I'd want to know what else is going to be going on in the room overall.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #5 of 51 Old 10-25-13, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Thanks again Bryan. I think I will start with options 3a and 1 as suggested, and decide what is needed from there. Front wall treatment would not be too difficult, and sounds as though it would be worth the effort. That may be phase 3 for me.
post #6 of 51 Old 01-08-14, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Gave it some thought and kicked around the idea of building my own bass traps, but the longer I think about it the more he GIK tri-traps look like the way to go. I ordered a couple fabric samples this week, to get the color right. This will most likely be the next purchase for my HT. After that I'm going to get some pre-built 4" deep frames and 6 more 2" panels to expand my side wall absorption panels.

Bryan - what's the best way to mount tri-traps to the wall (sheetrock)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #7 of 51 Old 01-09-14, 09:22 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Re: Acoustic Treatment Phase 2

Tri Traps have no provision to mount. They're designed to sit on the floor and stack. If you need to get them up, you'd just need to build a small corner shelf for them to sit on.

Bryan

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #8 of 51 Old 09-02-14, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Old thread here but I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on some acoustic updates. I want to get this done correctly before the subwoofer and Atmos upgrades I'm hoping to do possibly early next year. I'm going to forgo the DIY option and get GIK 244 panels for the side walls first and re-evaluate. Next step will be tri-traps in the back corners if needed.

post #9 of 51 Old 09-02-14, 10:59 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Both are good things to do. Which first is personal preference.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician/Owner
Sensible Sound Solutions
post #10 of 51 Old 09-02-14, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
HTS Reviewer

Ordered 3 sets of 244 panels this morning. I will follow up here once I have them installed.