Corner Traps finally finished! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 56 Old 12-01-07, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
chas

Corner Traps finally finished!

I finally got around to finishing my "superchunk" style corner traps:

Last edited by chas; 04-27-10 at 01:00 PM. Reason: updated photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 12-01-07, 03:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Crunch Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Crunch
Re: Corner Traps finally finished!

Those are sweet nice job .
How much of a difference do they make? How you done any testing yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 56 Old 12-01-07, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
chas

Quote:
How much of a difference do they make? How you done any testing yet?
I haven't done any measurements, but music definitely sounds better! Imaging seems to pull slightly to the left...I have a bare wall on the right (opposite the sofa) that needs a panel. I'm still working on panels (for that spot and behind the L-C-R speakers). Haven't had time to watch any movies yet.

post #4 of 56 Old 12-01-07, 04:06 PM

Andrew

Send a message via AIM to avaserfi Send a message via Yahoo to avaserfi

Did you document the build by any chance? I am pretty curious to see how you built these as they look great.

Imaging might be pulling slightly left because of non-symmetry within the room. It seems that the couch on the left side of your set up could be acting as an absorber and cause this off-set imaging.
post #5 of 56 Old 12-01-07, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
chas

Quote:
Did you document the build by any chance? I am pretty curious to see how you built these as they look great.

Imaging might be pulling slightly left because of non-symmetry within the room. It seems that the couch on the left side of your set up could be acting as an absorber and cause this off-set imaging.
My thoughts exactly on the imaging....which is why I want a nice panel on the wall opposite the couch.

I did snap a few photos during the build of these. I'll post them as soon as I have time to get them edited and uploaded.
post #6 of 56 Old 12-01-07, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
chas

The traps were designed around my limited woodworking skills. It's basically a stack of 703 wedges with a cloth covered "grill". I started with a triangular wood base and stacked wedges half way up the wall:

At the halfway point a center support was cut from 2 X 2's. The sides were cut a half inch longer than the fiberglass wedges, and cut at a 45 degree angle to match the face of the wedges:

The stack was continued to the ceiling where I attached another set of 2 X 2's with 45-degree face cuts. Industrial stength velcro was attached to the faces of the 2 X 2's to attach the "grills":

The grills were made from 8-foot fir strips with cross braces top, bottom, and center:

Braced behind with t-braces and L-braces:

Test fit:

The "grills" were sprayed flat black and then covered with speaker cloth from Joanne's Fabrics (not too expensive with a 50% off coupon). The velcro was stapled to the back of the grills and they were placed against the 2 X 2's in the corner that had been faced with velcro. That industrial strength stuff is quite strong!
post #7 of 56 Old 12-01-07, 09:38 PM

Andrew

Send a message via AIM to avaserfi Send a message via Yahoo to avaserfi

That looks very different than expected - I was expecting a stand alone unit that could be pulled away from the wall. Nice and sneaky build, I like it.

Is there any reason you did not use OC705 rather than using OC703?

Thanks for the pics.
post #8 of 56 Old 12-01-07, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
chas

Quote:
Is there any reason you did not use OC705 rather than using OC703?
I bought two cases of the 703 a while back. I think I was planning on using one case to build two four foot corner traps and use the other case for some 2" panels. Somewhere along the line I decided to make the traps floor to ceiling.
post #9 of 56 Old 12-02-07, 12:39 AM
Banned!

Very nice, now you just need a black curtain across the rest of that wall to even out the look.
post #10 of 56 Old 12-02-07, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
chas

Quote:
Very nice, now you just need a black curtain across the rest of that wall to even out the look.
Thanks. Actually I lke the contrast of the black corners. The paint on that wall is much darker in person (the camera flash makes it look several shades lighter than it is).