Acoustics tips and help, please - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 38 Old 05-19-08, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Re: Acoustics tips and help, please

Ok, finished all the materials I have so far. I'd like some input as to the most effective use of the stuff I have. So I'll list it all;

5 pcs 1 1/4" 2'x4'
6 pcs 4" 2'x4'
4 pcs 3'4" corner chunks, 2' face
2 pcs 2'6" corner chunks, 2' face

Currently I have the 4 larger corner chunks on the floor in each corner.
In the front corners I have one 4" panel straddlign the corner on top of the chunks, so they fill floor to ceiling.
In the rear corners (where I have my sonotubes) I have the smaller chunks stacked on top of the larger chunks, with one 4" panel straddling the corner in front of the smaller panel (if that made any sense).

One 4" panel in the first reflection point from the left speaker. This covers the reflection from the center as well, on the left wall.
Three 1 1/4" panels stacked in front of each other, making one 3 3/4" panel on the right wall in the first reflection from the right speaker. I have a door here that prevent me from killing the center channel reflection on the right wall. I'll live.

Two 4" panels upright against the front wall behind the main speakers, and two 1 1/4" panels next to those, toward the center, and the last 1 1/4" panel horizontal behind the center speaker. So my front wall is covered up to 4' high with at least 1 1/4" and up to 4" (some of the front wall panels overlap)

I plan to get another case of three 4" panels and mount them in the ceiling to kill the 1st reflection from the left, center and right speakers.

The room sounds awesome as it is now. Going floor to ceiling really helped, as opposed to the 6' stacks I had before. Ceiling height is just over 7', but covering that last foot really helped.

I feel maybe having the small chunks behind the 4" panels is overkill and could be put to better use, but then the subs are right against those corners and I figure they can use all the absorbtion they can get back there.

Any views or suggestions as to what I should do? I enjoy the room as it is now, but things can only get better, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 12-10-09, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Ok, been a while since I posted in my thread now.

Recently made some changes to the lineup. Sold the Dalis and got a set of Klipsch THX Ultra 2 speakers. KL650 front and center, and the KS525 dipole rears. Also changed my screen to a 106" Dreamscreen ProCurve with UltraHD screen material. In the process of putting up a new false front wall and get the speakers behind the screen. Also, since the screen is curved I need to make a shallow stage to accomodate the curve. I will make some other changes to the room as well, trying to move my subs up front in the room, behind the screen wall and see if that works out.

I will keep the corner treatments, and probably try to get some more treatment behind the screen now, and some rear wall diffusion to keep the room lively.

I'll post some pictures shortly.

post #13 of 38 Old 12-29-09, 04:03 PM
hybris

Impressive low end bass response. Time to do some more measurements and waterfalls? It appears you've done some changes since the initial measurements?

post #14 of 38 Old 12-29-09, 05:58 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
John N wrote: View Post
How would it sound with a nice ottoman instead of the coffee table?
Since the thread is revived, I will respond to this. I replaced an 18"x40" coffee table with a 33"x33" ottoman. However, I opened the bottom of the ottoman by removing the cloth, filled it with OC705 and replaced the cloth.

Wow! This sits in the approximate center of my room so, in addition to replacing a hard reflecting surface with a soft transmissive one, I think it is damping some midbass (80-100Hz) energy effectively. Comfy, too.

Kal Rubinson
post #15 of 38 Old 12-30-09, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Hybris: Yes, it is definetly timeto do some new measurements. I've done a lot of changes, all the speakers except subs have been replaced, listening position has changed slightly, and the subs have also moved slightly. I will try with the subs up front again, so I will have to do more measurements and comparisons then. I also have to clean up the room and do some photography.

Kal: Great idea! I will definetly try something like that, my midbass definetly need cleaning up!

post #16 of 38 Old 01-04-10, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Got around to moving the subs the other day, and did some measurements today.
I used to have the subs behind the listening position, now they are up front, near the corners. I have chunk style traps in all four corners, and got the subs as close to that (touching) as possible.
I sacrifice a little extension for smoothness. It's really not a problem, the subs reach pretty low anyway, just not QUITE into the single digits, and I really like the smoothness of them now.
Also got the new speakers, obviously. Currently sitting on empty cardboard boxes for stands. I will get proper stands for them, and I'm sure the midrange will clear up a bit. The boxes have a pretty high resonance, well into the midrange. The screen fabric needs replacing as it's just too tight now. I could get more of what I have, but the v2 (free upgrade) is due in Q1 2010 anyway, so I won't bother for now.

No pictures of the setup yet, it's not in a photogenic state right now, but some measurements should be in order:

The sweetspot measurement. This is with Audyssey active. I never play without it anyway. 6dB/oct smoothing.

I averaged all the measurements Audyssey used (as close as I could get) and averaged them. This graph has no smoothing.

I accidentally made my first measurement with Audyssey DynamicEQ engaged. This was with master volume at -27dB. Adds quite a bit down low...

post #17 of 38 Old 01-04-10, 02:19 PM
hybris

Great low-end response but relatively uneven. How about posting the graph at 15-200hz and no smoothing, easier to see the bass response in detail then.

Very interesting to see the effect of the Dynamic EQ on the last graph by the way. That's kind of house curvish.
post #18 of 38 Old 01-04-10, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Here they are.

Notice that the frequency axis is different in the two graphs.
Also not that Audyssey do NOT target a flat-as-possible response for a single location, but rather a best perceived response in all measured positions. Doing all 8 measurements in the same position give smoother measurements but sounds like ... well, not near as good as a proper measurement.

I am very happy with the way it sounds now, and it's pretty much the smoothest I've seen in my room, so I'll stop fiddling with it for a while.

The DynamicEQ will adjust frequency response to compensate for our ears' varying sensitivity vs levels, so at 0dB master volume the curve will be uncorrected, then as volume goes lower, more and more compensation is added.

First graph is the standard frequency response, unsmoothed and 75dB target. Notice the frequency axis extends to 5Hz.

Waterfall with default settings of the measurement above. You can easily see where my treatments stop working...

post #19 of 38 Old 01-04-10, 02:39 PM
hybris

Impressive subwoofers.

I'd be interested to hear how an Audyssey receiver with Dynamic EQ enabled sounds compared to the curve I've plotted on my own system.
post #20 of 38 Old 01-04-10, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I'm sure there are lots of people in your area that would love to give you a demo. Or borrow one at your local HifiKlubben store.