Acoustics tips and help, please - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 38 Old 01-05-10, 02:37 AM
hybris

Re: Acoustics tips and help, please

Quote:
atledreier wrote: View Post
I'm sure there are lots of people in your area that would love to give you a demo. Or borrow one at your local HifiKlubben store.
Hm, I don't know. I just bought the Pioneer, probably best to not listen to anything else for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 08-28-12, 12:58 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
atledreier wrote: View Post

It appears you mounted your projector the same way I did (threaded rod)... I slid aluminum tubing over the threaded rods to dress it up and made my equipment racks the same way as the projector stand.
post #23 of 38 Old 10-06-12, 06:17 PM
Senior Shackster

Brock

Not trying to revive an old thread, but you said you bought the KL650's?

I was dinking around and saw them on Klipsch site, are they worth the money?

1x Onkyo TX-SR876(Receiver)
1x Panasonic TH46PZ80U (TV)
1x Polk Audio CSi5 (Center Speaker)
2x Polk Audio RTi12 (Tower Speakers)
2x Polk Audio Rti6 (Surround Speakers)
1x SVS PC-13 Ultra (Subwoofer)
XBox One with 5tB External HDD
Sony Playstation2, Nintendo Gamecube, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo N64, Sega Dreamcast.

post #24 of 38 Old 10-07-12, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

I no longer have them.

I thought they were great up about 5dB below reference, then they became harsh. Mine were driven by Behringer EP4000, one channel for each, so they should have enough power on tap. They got pretty harsh whenpushed, and I haven't had that happen with any other speakers on the EP4000, so I can only conclude it was the speakers that didn't handle it.
I loved them up to that point, though. Puncy and detailed, but a little on the small side. There's only so much two 6,5" drivers can do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #25 of 38 Old 10-07-12, 12:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Brock

Yeah I thought the stats seemed a bit underwhelming for the price myself, which is why I asked

Sony Playstation2, Nintendo Gamecube, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo N64, Sega Dreamcast.
post #26 of 38 Old 10-07-12, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

Don't get me wrong, they are excellent speakers, but they won't comfortably do reference.

post #27 of 38 Old 10-07-12, 02:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Brock

Oh, didn't say that but for the money, it would seem they're better options available.

What are you running now?

post #28 of 38 Old 10-08-12, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

DIY Beyma LCRs

Two 15p80nd and a TPL-150h in each. 200liters, tuned to 45Hz. The have the SPL capability and sound quality that I've been looking for a long time. They are managed by a MiniDSP 10x10 and an EP4000 to drive each of them. Bulid thread is in my sig. inConcert Miles after the guy who originally designed the configuration, I adapted it for frontmounted slotports.

post #29 of 38 Old 01-03-13, 06:20 AM
Senior Shackster

Erwin

My System

atledreier,

Impressive speakers, these inConcert Miles. I am in the proces of building a house with HT myself. Subs are done, LLT as in sig. I was going to build DTQWT-12 by Troels Gravesen for LCR, but I am having doubts that they will do reference level without desintegrating. Problem is the midrange JA8008. Troels wrote on his website that a 95 dB speaker should not be fed 400 solid state Watts. Which is exactly what I have (Emotiva XPR-5)...

So I am looking for other options, maybe buying active speakers such as the new Emotiva Pro Stealth 8 (also uses the Air Motion type tweeter). Or build an other speaker all together, so your's got my attention. Seems like TangenAVDesign is no longer in business though? I also think going active would be more complicated. Do you think an electric noob like me could pull it off? I see you're an engineer..

Also, what are your surrounds?

Slowly building a 9.2.4 HT with 3 DIYSG Titan LX LCR, 2 LLT subs (done) and much, much more...
LLT design:

LLT Build:
post #30 of 38 Old 01-03-13, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Maverick

My surrounds are Klipsch RF82 for now, bass managed at 50Hz.

It is less complicated to go active. The crossovers can be a pain to get parts for, they are expensive and much less accurate and flexible than an active system. Active will require two amplifier channels per speaker, though, and a DSP. I currently use the MiniDSP 10x10HD DSP unit and it is excellent. By far the best DSP unit I have had in my system. Very easy to set up, and you have 8x8 in and outs that you can configure freely.

The Miles speakers do require a subwoofer though. They are tuned to 45Hz which mean they start to roll off at around 50Hz. Nice for music, but a little lean for movies. The impact and punch is phenomenal though. You can really get that 'live' sound where even male voices are felt in your chest, and acoustic instrument REALLY shine on these babies. They are also effortless even at way above reference, and so sensitive that even modest amplifiers can perform their best.