Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Acoustics (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/)
-   -   Do I even need bass traps at all? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/114009-do-i-even-need-bass-traps-all.html)

Talley 03-02-15 01:12 PM

Do I even need bass traps at all?

53 Attachment(s)
Take a look at my graph below. The only treatment I have is a 13' long couch along the back wall and I purchased 4 packs of 2'x4' panels of 4" 4lb min wool each pack having 4 panels each. so I have a 2'x4'x16" thick package of minwool ONE in each corner sitting on the floor up to the 4' height.

This was my result of my SVS speakers and HSU sub which is located in the front center wall.

I don't have the graph but I removed these 4 packs of minwool and the result was the decay only added about 50ms of decay to the graph below. Like it's effect was minimal at best.

Or is this just saying the bass trapping is not needed at floor level and I need to tray various locations in the room.

My other question is based on the graph below other then the obvious 22hz and below (which I think is some stuff shaking in the room like my ladders leaning on the wall getting ready for paint) do I even need bass trapping?

Blacklightning 03-02-15 01:18 PM

Re: Do I even need bass traps at all?

That does look good. Attach your Mdat file. "Go Advanced" button below and press the paper clip (Attachments).
Chose the file and upload.

I do not think any bass traps work below 30hz.

Lumen 03-02-15 02:13 PM

Just a beginner myself, but I believe improvements can be made. Frequency response is decent, but there's modal ringing up to about 100Hz causing bass "bloat" and midrange "smearing." Bass traps will help by absorbing that excess energy. In the corners behind the mains will give you best bang-for-the-buck. It's best to treat the corner from floor to ceiling, but add-on as budget allows.

bpape 03-02-15 03:24 PM

Just udnerstand you are looking at a 500ms window - most rooms should be more like 300-350ms

willis7469 03-02-15 05:08 PM

58 Attachment(s)
Can you move your couch off the wall any?

Talley 03-02-15 05:53 PM

53 Attachment(s)
Quote:

willis7469 wrote: (Post 1117777)

the couch is 4" off the wall but I see exactly where you are going with this.

I'll move the couch to the center of the room and try again.

Lumen 03-03-15 07:54 AM

Quote:

bpape wrote: (Post 1117521)
Just udnerstand you are looking at a 500ms window - most rooms should be more like 300-350ms

Thanks, Bryan. The graph shows about 150msec of decay over your 350msec threshold. Is that significant? Do you think it's a good response as-is?

Quote:

willis7469 wrote: (Post 1117777)

:duh: I missed it... bass pressure-zone is against the wall.

Talley 03-09-15 11:53 AM

53 Attachment(s)
I played around with the sub location and found that the HSU 6" away to the right of the center channel... facing sideways toward the center channel which pretty much gets the woofer centered in room and the sub sitting about 3" away from the rear wall and one port open (the port closest to the wall) gave the most even/loudest results. I gained 10db by moving it 3' and turning it.

I also put the sub 6' out from side wall and 5' out from back wall and according to the SIM part of REW would produces the "flattest" bass and it indeed did... in direct mode without tuning it was VERY flat... but it was sitting in front of my left main speaker so it was unpractical. anywhere else and the 90hz dip moves down to the 40/50 range.

Sub in center gives me a reasonably flat response but the decay falls off below 30hz at 500ms and my room noise sits around 43db. above 30hz the decay becomes gradually less the further up.

I have another graph (red) of just the sub by itself AFTER audyssey.

With these graphs is there any reason to add anymore traps beyond the 4 2x4 4" panels (one in corner each sitting at floor hugging the corner making a triangle)?

Or would more traps help the nulls/dips/peaks in the 100-800hz range? which seems like it's my worse area and main concentration of treatment.

Blacklightning 03-09-15 12:09 PM

Attach your Mdat file. "Go Advanced" button below and press the paper clip (Attachments).

looking at your graphs is okay but some of us like looking at your data another way.

Talley 03-09-15 12:17 PM

53 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Blacklightning wrote: (Post 1127409)
Attach your Mdat file. "Go Advanced" button below and press the paper clip (Attachments).

looking at your graphs is okay but some of us like looking at your data another way.

Here ya go. This was after placing sub in the location I mentioned and running audyssey. I think bumped the sub hot by 3db also.