Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Acoustics (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/)
-   -   EQ Question (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/154089-eq-question.html)

matthijs87 08-02-16 11:30 AM

EQ Question

1 Attachment(s)
It surely has bin asked before but i coudn't find it in the search options.

My question is about when and if to eq ?

i have read this nice tutorial from some years ago

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...urve-long.html

but its only meant for bass. I was wondering if this has to do with something ?
is it more safely to eq the bass for a better response then to eq above it ?

Or does it equaly creates the same benefits and concequences ?
I have read allot of diffrent stories about it so im realy curious in
what the facts are. Also where to draw the line between eq adjustments or treating the room?.

tonyvdb 08-02-16 11:37 AM

Re: EQ Question

EQ to the lower end is much less invasive on the over all imaging of the soundtrack. Applying EQ above 400Hz has to be done with care and generally its not a great idea to boost. When applying EQ above those frequencies it must be done evenly on both channels otherwise imaging can be dramatically effected in a bad way.

Often room Acoustics play a larger role in how it sounds and should be addressed first.

matthijs87 08-02-16 12:53 PM

Ah yes that makes totaly sense, thank you !.

When aplying EQ above the 400 would you say the stereo imaging is the only important thing to look out for ?

tonyvdb 08-02-16 12:56 PM

Yes, but keep in mind that when you change the imaging its not just the stereo image that can be affected. Phase is also changed.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt 08-02-16 05:17 PM

What Tony said down the line, and Iíll add I havenít had any issues boosting above 400 Hz. Just use matching filters, and you have to use EQ judiciously on the main speakers. You canít use any crazy boosting or cutting because the main-channel amplifiers have much less power than the typical subwoofer and as such can run out of headroom real fast.

Hereís a good thread on full-range EQ you might want to digest. Feel free to ignore most of the advice given by the party making the second post.

Spridleís Experiment

Treatment mainly affects reflections in the room, and typically has minimal effect on speakerís frequency response. Hereís a good post on the topic.

Equalization vs. Treatments

Regards,
Wayne

matthijs87 08-03-16 07:01 AM

Verry great stuff ! this realy helps allot :).

@ tonyvdb : isn't phase the only thing responsible for diffrent stereo imaging in this case ? and thus the same thing, or better said the source for the diffrent stereo image ? What i learned is that the stereo image can only be changed by diffrent (left and right)frequenties and or diffrent timings in a nutshell. thus the phase and stereo imaging are the same things for "this" example becouse the timing wont be affected when eqing, is that true ? or am i missing something ?

@ Wayne A.

Thank you ! I will read all of it :). but when talking about crazy boosting or cutting, where would you say the danger zone starts approximately ?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt 08-03-16 08:08 AM

Quote:

where would you say the danger zone starts approximately ?
Impossible to say. It all depends on available amplifier power and the efficiency of the speakers, which is different in every system. Fortunately with main-channel speakers itís not hard to tell when youíve gone over the line, as youíll hear audible distortion at the stressed frequency when you run out of headroom.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

matthijs87 08-05-16 11:38 AM

Okay thanks,

Is there an option in REW to edit both left and right speakers at the same time ? At the EQ Menu i can only get a prediction of one file. For the matching filters it would realy come in handy to look how it affects both. I have searched for it but cant figgure it out.

tonyvdb 08-05-16 12:27 PM

Quote:

matthijs87 wrote: (Post 1484737)
@ tonyvdb : isn't phase the only thing responsible for diffrent stereo imaging in this case ? and thus the same thing, or better said the source for the diffrent stereo image ? What i learned is that the stereo image can only be changed by diffrent (left and right)frequenties and or diffrent timings in a nutshell. thus the phase and stereo imaging are the same things for "this" example becouse the timing wont be affected when eqing, is that true ? or am i missing something ?

Yes and no, there is not hard fast answer to this question as there are so many variables at play as speaker position can also play a part in the outcome.

AudiocRaver 08-06-16 02:09 AM

291 Attachment(s)
Quote:

matthijs87 wrote: (Post 1484737)
isn't phase the only thing responsible for diffrent stereo imaging in this case ? and thus the same thing, or better said the source for the diffrent stereo image ? What i learned is that the stereo image can only be changed by diffrent (left and right)frequenties and or diffrent timings in a nutshell. thus the phase and stereo imaging are the same things for "this" example becouse the timing wont be affected when eqing, is that true ? or am i missing something ?

Although in theory what you are saying is correct, it seems more accurate to think in terms of timing than phase, to me at least. Looking at typical phase plots between two channels does not give a clear idea at all what might be happening with imaging, but looking at impulse timing plots can be very informative.