Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Acoustics (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/)
-   -   Magnepan - 80+100-400hz being sucked out and looking for advice (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/158089-magnepan-80-100-400hz-being-sucked-out-looking-advice.html)

scot 10-27-16 09:54 AM

Magnepan - 80+100-400hz being sucked out and looking for advice

3 Attachment(s)
Something about my room is sucking out 100-400hz. I have corner traps in the front corners, and corner over the speakers, and 2" panels behind my Maggie 3.5s to tame the worst of the rear reflections. I also have some material behind the seating position to tame reflections from behind.

Room is not a perfect rectangle.

26ft x 19'9"ft with a 10x20 chunk out of the back left. Speakers wall the long wall and on the right side of center, with the right speaker about 8' from the right wall and 5' from the speaker wall. Left speaker is 8' to the left.

Seating position is 10' from speaker positions and centered.

Room is a basement, concrete under laminate. Walls are drywall over insulation/wood with a 2" gap to foundation poured cement.

I've tried moving the speakers back and forth, left and right. Up to the wall, and out as far as they can go (but can't stay.) Moved my absorber panels all over and.. Just not getting anywhere.

Audessey just gives up and moves the crossover point for my maggies to 200hz :) Sub is a DIY using ye' olde 18" tempest from many moons ago.

bpape 10-27-16 10:15 AM

Re: Magnepan - 80+100-400hz being sucked out and looking for advice

Can you post a sketch of the room along with your head position in relation to the wall you are facing?

scot 10-27-16 10:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not perfect, but I had done a sketchup diagram a long time ago and re-used it. Close to accurate.

bpape 10-27-16 11:19 AM

Thanks. And the distances?

scot 10-28-16 07:39 AM

Right speaker (from the listeners viewpoint) is 8' (to the middle of the panel) from the right wall and 5' from the back. Left speaker is 8.5' from the right speaker and also 5' from the wall behind it.

Listener position is 10' from speakers and equidistant.

Listener position can move forward a foot or so, but not laterally. Room is also a home theater and the tv is mounted with no possible way to convince anyone that moving is even a remote possibility :)

Speakers are as far out in the room that they can go, they can move laterally out from center and back towards the wall. Keep in mind they are magnepans so wall interactions can become a separate issue.

Sub is in the right corner, but my preferred crossover frequency is 60hz or below (40hz is ideal) so it really doesn't play into this too much. The tempest is great super low, but not so much for higher frequencies.

Mic is an old generation ECM8000 pointing at the ceiling. I tried to use a canned calibration but it is not right above 10khz, so you need to ignore the drop off unfortunately. All of my speakers show the same pattern even near field and in another room. Low end seems to be accurate.

bpape 10-28-16 09:22 AM

Got it. But how far straight line are you from the wall you are facing?

scot 10-28-16 09:55 AM

12'6" from wall to head position

bpape 10-28-16 10:51 AM

Try moving forward with the seat about 6" and then put the speakers 1' closer together. Do each one one at a time.

scot 10-28-16 10:58 AM

Quote:

bpape wrote: (Post 1513041)
Try moving forward with the seat about 6" and then put the speakers 1' closer together. Do each one one at a time.

Wish I could, but the speakers can't come forward any more. Literally up against the couch at 5'2". I could move both the speakers and couch back 6" but I'm running on the edge of my households nerves as it is, plus the screen is 65" so it's getting far away.

Moving them closer together is also a no go as it becomes an issue with the tv, I have them as close together now as possible while providing most of the seating positions a view. Any closer and it blocks the screen. The further back we go the further apart the speakers need to be for the tv.

If you want me to try each and see what I get from REW, just for informations sake, that I can do.

scot 10-29-16 12:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Position moved 6" away from the wall behind the speakers. Both listening position and speakers.

No major change on left. Right is more affected by nulls in fairly critical regions.