Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Acoustics (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/)
-   -   GIK Acoustics DIY Acoustical Panel Build Thread (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/158249-gik-acoustics-diy-acoustical-panel-build-thread.html)

AudiocRaver 10-30-16 10:19 AM

GIK Acoustics DIY Acoustical Panel Build Thread

291 Attachment(s)
DIY Panels from GIK

A funny thing happened at RMAF. I was talking with Glenn and Shelly from GIK about their new DIY panel kits, and commented that they were exactly what I need to finish my front wall. Then Glenn offered to send me panels for the purpose if I would review them.

Naturally I said YES!

They just arrived. I will chronicle the experience.

DqMcClain 10-30-16 05:36 PM

Re: GIK Acoustics DIY Acoustical Panel Build Thread

Just checked out the GIK website for info on these... There's about a 100% chance I'll be buying those frames for my HT. Can't wait to hear your review!

ellisr63 10-30-16 05:45 PM

Do you know if they are going to be offering the diffuser slats(Alpha Series) as a kit too?

tboooe 10-31-16 12:35 PM

I assume you are referring to the DIY frames? I just checked the GIK website and it seems they are not offering the Monster Bass Trap frame? At only 4" thick the DIY frame is not quite thick enough for me to use it as a bass trap. Too bad.

DqMcClain 10-31-16 03:14 PM

Quote:

tboooe wrote: (Post 1514001)
I assume you are referring to the DIY frames? I just checked the GIK website and it seems they are not offering the Monster Bass Trap frame? At only 4" thick the DIY frame is not quite thick enough for me to use it as a bass trap. Too bad.

From what I saw, that's the way it looks. There just might not be any convenient way to make a bass trap as a flat-pack item... OR maybe we're just talking ahead of the release of that item. That would be nice.

Todd Anderson 10-31-16 09:04 PM

Popcorn is ready.

Let's get this going! ;-)

AudiocRaver 11-02-16 06:07 AM

291 Attachment(s)
What I was sent is 4 of the 2 ft x 4 ft x 4 in frames, plus fabric to cover them with (Guilford of Maine - Aquamarine), plus 6 pieces of Knauf board. The Knauf board comes 6 to a package, they would normally be used 2 per panel, but there was discussion about the extra shipping cost and I am only going to be using 4 of them anyway, thus the 6 pieces instead of 8.

Although my traps are not going to be official "Bass Traps," as you will soon see, the final result will have some bass-trap-ISH characteristics.

I will get some photos loaded today.

AudiocRaver 11-02-16 06:18 AM

291 Attachment(s)
The primary purpose of the front of room panels in my room will be:
  • Eliminate reflections that disrupt soundstage and imaging (SS&I).
  • Optionally include controlled diffusion.
  • Dampen LF reflections and standing waves that involve the front wall.

Savjac 11-02-16 12:24 PM

Anxiously awaiting the photographs, as Todd mentioned, popcorn in hand.

Tonto 11-02-16 01:33 PM

Hello Jack, haven't heard from you in a while! Glad to see you posting again. How have you been? Seems like the last thing I remember, you were toying around with some surround speakers for your room. How did that ever go?