Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   Home Audio Acoustics (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/)
-   -   Trying to Fix Center+Sub FR (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/166274-trying-fix-center-sub-fr.html)

Lumen 03-22-17 07:32 AM

Re: Trying to Fix Center+Sub FR

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

bpape wrote: (Post 1567146)
20-35 you're not going to do much with treatment. Above that it's got to be THICK like our Soffit Traps at 17" and even then it has to be where the problem is happening.

It's not taking long to find that out! My pressure traps aren't making a dent that low, at least not in the front corners where convention says to place them. I'm anxious to track down the problem(s) and fix it(them) to get better bass.

Quote:

bpape wrote: (Post 1567146)
To me sub level still looks about 5 dB low and I'd be worrying about the peak between 45 and 70ish.
Do you have the ability to EQ the sub? Don't do a ton, just hit the middle of that broad null and see if you can change it with EQ. Don't do more than maybe 3 dB.

Okay then, the next REW session will find me raising the sub level and experimenting with that null. It's my understanding that if it reacts to EQ, then it's not a room mode, correct?

EDIT: In reviewing my measurements I found that the dip succumbed to the sub's phase adjustment as shown below. So along with EQ experiments, I'll be sure to check phase settings when remeasuring the Center+Sub response.
Attachment 139618

Lumen 03-22-17 07:56 AM

Once again I'd like to thank everyone for their interest and help. And so as not to waste your time, I thought I'd give you a heads-up - I'm not really sure if I should even be concerned about Center+Sub issues. I don't recall others working on this speaker/sub combo. I'm just pursuing it because the REW 101 Guide lists the combo as an essential measurement.

Do you know why we look at L+R+Sub rather than L+R+Center+Sub?

bpape 03-22-17 07:58 AM

If you can EQ out the dip it's going to be easier to raise the broad null than using treatment or positioning. Nulls that wide are almost certainly multiple things going on at the same time and not just a single problem. The peak can certainly be trimmed down. The other option is turn the sub level up and EQ down the 20 and 45ish

Lumen 03-23-17 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like that bit of insight! Thank you! I may need to follow an REW EQ path rather than a Dirac one. It seems my system may need special attention using PEQ, something not available with my AVR's version of Dirac. In any case, I played with the sub level and found that it didn't help to fill-in the broad dip as shown below. Tomorrow I'll try experimenting with PEQ as you suggested to see if the dip reacts at all. If not, I should be able to bring down the peaks.

Attachment 139866

willis7469 03-23-17 09:12 PM

Louie!!! Sorry for being awol. Not that I'm terribly valuable lol.
I think if you pulled 43hz down about 7db with an arrow filter and raised 30 with a nice wide one from 25-35 you might be good. Maybe I should open both eyes!

Lumen 03-27-17 01:43 PM

Not ignoring you guys... just a little behind schedule!

willis7469 03-27-17 01:56 PM

It's fine Lou. I'm just over here eating worms.....
🤣[emoji97]

Lumen 03-27-17 02:02 PM

A can of which I've opened, no doubt (lol).

willis7469 03-27-17 02:08 PM

Rofl!!! Yes...yes you did. And a very colorful one at that.

willis7469 03-27-17 02:20 PM

Gummi worms. My favorite.