Improvements in Speaker Audio Quality in last 30 years. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 26 Old 12-09-14, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Improvements in Speaker Audio Quality in last 30 years.

Yesterday I was talking with a group of speaker designers and audio engineers. They had worked in companies like Allison, Acoustics research and had designed speakers like IC-20 (from Allison). I had asked the same question to them. According to them the improvements have not been much in the spund quality. Speaker being a mechanical device, they were pretty mature 30 years back. However introduction of wave guide has improved dispersion. Characteristics of tweeters. In addition there have been improvements in testing and reliability. The cost has also come down somewhat although there is more hype now than 30 years back and most of the hype is not based on speaker quality improvements but edorsement from paid review magazines like Stereophile, what HiFi and others. In these reviews, reviewer almost provide measurement that show significant improvement over other speakers but says that these speakers were the best he had ever heard and gives them 5 stars.

I would like to hear what you guys abd gals think. Do you hear much quality improvements from PSB, KEF, etc over the last few years.

Last edited by shkumar4963; 12-09-14 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-10-14, 12:34 AM

Ron

My System
Re: Improvements in Speaker Audio Quality in last 30 years.

Quote:
shkumar4963 wrote: View Post
Yesterday I was talking with a group of speaker designers and audio engineers. They had worked in companies like Allison, Acoustics research and had designed speakers like IC-20 (from Allison). I had asked the same question to them. According to them the improvements have not been much in the spund quality. Speaker being a mechanical device, they were pretty mature 30 years back. However introduction of wave guide has improved dispersion. Characteristics of tweeters. In addition there have been improvements in testing and reliability. The cost has also come down somewhat although there is more hype now than 30 years back and most of the hype is not based on speaker quality improvements but edorsement from paid review magazines like Stereophile, what HiFi and others. In these reviews, reviewer almost provide measurement that show significant improvement over other speakers but says that these speakers were the best he had ever heard and gives them 5 stars.

I would like to hear what you guys abd gals think. Do you hear much quality improvements from PSB, KEF, etc over the last few years.
I currently have a mix of DIY, and 20+ year old speakers, and i think they sound as good if not better than the speakers i have heard made in the last 5 years. I agree with the statement that there has not been much improvements... IMO they are just doing little tweaks in general to refine or alter the sound.

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #3 of 26 Old 12-10-14, 08:14 AM
Claudio

Hi,
This is my first post here. I think subwoofers have made a huge improvement over the last decade or decade and a half. You can now get a much more powerful bass out of smaller drivers, with absurd power handling (compared to older subs). Peak to peak excursion compared to car pistons (j/k). And enclosure size shrinking too. I agree with the shkumar4963 though, enclosure and drivers are still pretty much the same as grandpa's speakers, other than costs and build/consistency quality.

Thanks
Claudio

post #4 of 26 Old 12-10-14, 08:31 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Agreed, Subwoofer design has improved dramatically but only because there is a need to. Before 1995 there were no movie soundtracks that required a sub for home use to go below 25Hz these days if it doesn't hit 15Hz you're not getting close to the soundtracks capabilities.
Speaker sound quality has not evolved much at all simply because "if it aint broke dont fix it" My EVs from 1985 sound just as good as speakers costing thousands today.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 26 Old 12-10-14, 09:08 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

I think I agree with the posts above, no huge improvement in speaker design but lots of other technological stuff that may or may not improve the sound but likely improve reliability; wave guides, dampening materials, computer optimized crossovers, Beryllium, aluminum, Kapton, Nomex, some synthetic materials etc.

Mark
post #6 of 26 Old 01-05-15, 04:36 PM
Senior Shackster

What is interesting is that the proliferation of online research, endorsements/reviews and sales has shifted the market in a direction where great sound is now affordable. There are many great offerings and startups I dont think would have been possible even 10 years ago. But with all the online goodness comes a lot of badness for the hifi shops where an "audio life" changing experience awaits. High end is hurting now more than ever.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-05-15, 06:06 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

What I find interesting is the fairly recent trend toward narrow baffle designs (well it fits within the last 30 years). Wonder how much of that is for aesthetics? My understanding is it improves imaging but not much else, sounds like we'd be better off with the big old fashioned wide baffle speakers... or would we?

Mark
post #8 of 26 Old 01-05-15, 06:28 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
I think the reason is aesthetic. A trick of the eye maybe? I feel like personally the imaging thing is possibly sight induced. The effects of diffraction from a wide baffle can be fixed with good waveguides/tweeter bezels, and phase plugs. Long live monkey coffins!!!
post #9 of 26 Old 01-05-15, 11:27 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

The sound of box speakers has certainly plateaued. I heard the Linkwitz Orions a few years ago and they are in a different class. Mainstream manufacturers should explore more options and stop just fine tuning the monkey coffins.

We are the Shack. Existence as you know it is over.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-06-15, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I feel bad for speaker manufacturers. Think about it. You are in an industry that has matured and further improvements in sound quality are minimal. And most people listen to their music using a headphone and an iphone.

On top of that old speakers don't easily die requiring owners to purchase new ones. And this creates a healthy supply of used but perfectly good speakers. So how to increase sales and profits in this market?

The only way to increase sales now is to go for aesthetic improvements and marketing led demand generaton. Marketing costs money so speakers prices need to be raised. So they need to spend money on paid reviews like in Stereophile and others and then maintain high prices to project high quality. One outcome of this strategy is the popularity of small online speaker manufactures and DIY kits that produce speakers or very similar quality (without the looks and the brand name) as more expensive speakers. They don't have money to pay Stereophile but many forums talk about these speakers as having similar or better quality than speakers reviewed by Stereophile. They often offer home trials so that customers can see for themselves.

Aesthetics is also driving towards small size thus popularity of book shelf and satellite speakers. Narrow speakers are also to address aesthetics.

Other outcome of this situation is that companies are offering stands, cables, conditioners and other accessories that do not make any difference in sound quality at exorbitant margins. Stands that cost 20 dollars to make are selling at $400 dollars.

Last edited by shkumar4963; 01-06-15 at 01:04 PM.