Timbre matching...only important for music? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 28 Old 04-02-08, 09:49 AM
Banned!

Re: Timbre matching...only important for music?

Depending on where your hearing loss is, you may be down a couple dB in the frequency range where there is a difference between different speakers. So it can certainly make a difference.

Mostly I think people that don't mind mis-matched speakers fall into three general groups...

1) There is a negligible difference in their mismatched speakers, in other words, they are practically matched despite being different. Or, there are problems in their listening environment that mask the differences, like high reverb times.

2) They attribute the effects to something other than mismatched speakers, "that left to right pan didn't sound very smooth...the sound must have been mixed poorly."

3) They just don't know what to listen for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 04-02-08, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Matt

Makes sense:
1. Could be the case here.
2. I personally would hear if there was something blatantly wrong with a panned audio. Or at leat I think I would.
3. Ignorance is bliss. Wish I had it for video, where every bit of diiference or variation from a calibrated display is a horrible annoyance to me.

O.K., so considering that the mis-matched center I'm using will be gone saturday(sold, along with L&R and surrounds) and it sounded good mixed and is from another brand even, should I:
1. Buy the best center from the same brand as my new towers?
2. Try to find a center from any brand that has the same tweeter and midrange drivers?
***One thing of note is that the "matching" center from the new towers brand is only a 2-way and I want 'at least' a 3-way center.

Thanks for the help guys!
post #13 of 28 Old 04-02-08, 05:32 PM
superchad

Eagle, what speakers are in your system?

post #14 of 28 Old 04-03-08, 02:40 AM
Senior Shackster

Jean-Pierre

Send a message via MSN to imbeaujp

Yes, on my oppinion having the same tweeter and mid is a good thing for a center channel. The center channel is as important as the L and R channel in a HT system. Technically, it should handle more power than the L or R channel, but for many this channel is set to small so the bass is redirected to the sub/lfe channel.

Jean-Pierre Imbeau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-07-08, 01:56 PM

IMO, I believe all the speakers in your setup should be timbre matched. I have had systems in the past that weren't timbre match (just thrown together) and was never very happy with the sound.

I have now spent a lot of time and money to timbre match (tweeters, crossovers) my speakers and believe me it will make a difference. Either music or film it makes a big difference.

Eric
post #16 of 28 Old 05-17-08, 07:32 PM
Shackster
Dennis

I dont think timbre matching is all that important if your AVR has crossover setting adjustments, Ive used lots of different speakers in different places in my HT and find that as long as they are capable of handling the power put to them you can achieve good sound. Also setting all the speakers to the small setting also puts them in step with each other if you do not have the crossover capability. One thing I would say is that if you have horns try to use horns all around.

Learn to listen and listen to learn.

Last edited by nitrox1; 05-17-08 at 07:42 PM. Reason: after thought
post #17 of 28 Old 05-20-08, 04:11 PM
Senior Shackster
Warp

Personally unless your trying to save money, I think timbre matching is a good thing, it really pulls the front 3 together for a seamless stage like it should be. The rears IMO are not as important.

I used to have a miss matched front, before I knew anything about HT. I was always messing around trying to figure out what was wrong with my setup and constantly adjusting my center channel and trying to switch surround modes to get the voices right or the material right, when the whole time it was my awful center... I will never put up with that again....

My first real system I bought at the beginning of last year, and it truly made me appreciate how sweet it is to have everything just right, pretty much perfect - the way it should be... It really makes one appreciate what all the fuss is about.

First setup was Paradigm Studio 100's, cc 690, and 20's for the great room, and I went on to make up my bedroom system with Paradigm Sig S4's, C3, ADP's. I can truly say its really effortless integrating properly matched speakers.
post #18 of 28 Old 05-20-08, 06:27 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
nitrox1 wrote: View Post
I dont think timbre matching is all that important if your AVR has crossover setting adjustments, Ive used lots of different speakers in different places in my HT and find that as long as they are capable of handling the power put to them you can achieve good sound. Also setting all the speakers to the small setting also puts them in step with each other if you do not have the crossover capability. One thing I would say is that if you have horns try to use horns all around.
Wow! I use speakers as closely matched as I can and recently have been using 5 identical Canton Vento Refs. Even so, there are discernible differences among them when tested with pink noise. This is undoubtedly due to the different acoustical situations that each is in. I shudder to think how different really different speakers will be and how poorly they will image. (Of course, you could argue that, in view of those observations, timbre-matching is pointless but my additional experience has shown me that all efforts at matching are rewarded with better imaging.)

Kal
post #19 of 28 Old 05-20-08, 08:11 PM
Shackster
Dennis

Hi Kal,
Sometimes I think that speaker placement is more important than the actual timbre matching. Each speaker in a set up will have it's own set of acoustical challenges not only internally but externally, when you take all the component parts that make up a HT and the environment in which it will perform, the chances are that 100% nirvana will not be achieved. I take great pains to place each speakers distance, height, angle and tilt if necessary. When you get all those factors dialed in for your particular theater the image can be fantastic. If you can scare yourself once in a while with the way it sounds during a movie than you have done something right.

Learn to listen and listen to learn.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-20-08, 09:03 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
nitrox1 wrote: View Post
Hi Kal,
Sometimes I think that speaker placement is more important than the actual timbre matching. Each speaker in a set up will have it's own set of acoustical challenges not only internally but externally, when you take all the component parts that make up a HT and the environment in which it will perform, the chances are that 100% nirvana will not be achieved. I take great pains to place each speakers distance, height, angle and tilt if necessary. When you get all those factors dialed in for your particular theater the image can be fantastic. If you can scare yourself once in a while with the way it sounds during a movie than you have done something right.
True but, imho, they are complementary: correct placement and timbre-matching.

Kal