Timbre matching...only important for music? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 28 Old 05-20-08, 09:28 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Timbre matching...only important for music?

Quote:
nitrox1 wrote: View Post
Hi Kal,
Sometimes I think that speaker placement is more important than the actual timbre matching. Each speaker in a set up will have it's own set of acoustical challenges not only internally but externally, when you take all the component parts that make up a HT and the environment in which it will perform, the chances are that 100% nirvana will not be achieved. I take great pains to place each speakers distance, height, angle and tilt if necessary. When you get all those factors dialed in for your particular theater the image can be fantastic. If you can scare yourself once in a while with the way it sounds during a movie than you have done something right.
While it is hard to argue with the importance of placement, matching is a matter that is underestimated by most people until they actually experience it. You can get the placement perfect with poorly matched speakers and never get what you could out of the reverse case, properly matched speakers with less than perfect placement.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 05-20-08, 09:35 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Quote:
While it is hard to argue with the importance of placement, matching is a matter that is underestimated by most people until they actually experience it. You can get the placement perfect with poorly matched speakers and never get what you could out of the reverse case, properly matched speakers with less than perfect placement.
I agree 100%!!!!! I have Maggie fronts and surrounds but a conventional center and I can tell that the center does not match. When it is turned off or a pillow placed over it the sound is SO much nicer!! I have heard many a surround sound system but an all matching Maggie sound is something YOU must experience before you die.

Matt
post #23 of 28 Old 05-20-08, 09:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Warp

Hey Kal... thanks for stopping by the Shack....

Great review of the Canton Vento Reference 9 DC.... for those who haven't read it.... http://stereophile.com/musicintheround/308mitr/

Curious if you are still using the Bel Canto Ref 1000 amps with your B&W 802D's...?

post #24 of 28 Old 05-21-08, 07:16 AM
Shackster
Dennis

Hi Kal,
You can also get 5 to 7 times the problem depending on system you own, not to mention the sub. A good HT is created by trial and error, it really cannot come out of a box. I guess before the term timbre matching was coined everyone had terrible sounding systems. Sometimes speakers can complement each other by adding another layer of acoustical depth by the fact that they are different. It's another tool in the box maybe no more or less important than all the rest. I wish you pleasing sound all around.

Learn to listen and listen to learn.
post #25 of 28 Old 05-21-08, 07:44 AM
Elite Shackster
Bob

Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

What I found out when, a few years back, I went to using JBL "E" series all around (except the sub) for a 7.1 system, was that the speakers "disappeared" like they really should. No channel drew attention to itself. IMHO matching the tweeters and the upper midrange is important. Middle midrange and lower seems to be greatly affected by placement in the listening room and reflections.
post #26 of 28 Old 05-21-08, 02:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
nitrox1 wrote: View Post
Sometimes speakers can complement each other by adding another layer of acoustical depth by the fact that they are different.
I disagree with this statement. If your target is a euphonic effect, perhaps, but if your target is accurate reproduction, it is an entirely wrong approach.

But, "I wish you pleasing sound all around," too.

Kal
post #27 of 28 Old 05-21-08, 08:15 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I agree with Kal 100% on this. You can say "sometimes" something will happen that someone will like under some conditions. If you want to get the best results overall for them most material, removing variables and maintaining consistency is important.

Like I said before, most people simply underestimate the value of matching speakers because they have never lived with properly matched speakers.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #28 of 28 Old 05-21-08, 08:34 PM
Shackster
Dennis

I guess we can agree to disagree, Ive had matched systems and I was so impressed I broke them up and sold some of them off. I had Klipsch Cf-2 mains a Kv-4 center and CF-1 in the rear. I now have the CF-2 still as the mains and the KV-4 as the center, but now have Yamaha NS-15 as rears and Ego's as the sides.

Learn to listen and listen to learn.