Rookie (1st post) Speaker questions - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 05-08-08, 05:42 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System
Re: Rookie (1st post) Speaker questions

Well, it compares pretty well, considering the price, and it is a pretty new receiver. Has lots of bells and whistles It is a little low on power compared to the others but, depending on what speakers you get it really is not that big a difference, especially if you go with an efficient speaker from the likes of Klipsch.
For a comparison of the three Yamaha's click here.
I would recommend you pick the speakers you like first, then get a receiver or separates that can handle them.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-09-08, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Rex

Proposed Klipsch RF63, RS62, RC64, and RT12. Overpriced me on the 63's by $300 a speaker and hit the other one's dead on based on suggested retail from Klipsch. Proposed an Integra DTR7.8 AV receiver for about the same price as the Yamaha RXV-1800.
I received 4 different proposals from this company. The first 2 were blind bids...no look, no info! I had to ask them to send out a tech (NOT a salesman) to look at my room and listen to what I felt was needed. My confidence level with this company is not real high, but they may be the only game in town!
Zip, how did you get Klipsch at cost?? You got a brother-in-law in shipping?? You lucky rascal!
Thanks again for your help.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-09-08, 09:11 AM
Senior Shackster

Zip

My sister-in-law's boyfriend worked for a retailer and he could buy stuff from the store at cost. He doesn't work there anymore so future purchases will have to be researched a little harder to find the best price.

The RF63 setup you mentioned is pretty sweet. I listened to the RF63's and they are very detailed and revealing. Klipsch subs are not phenomenal for what you pay though. If you were to go with Klipsch, dump the sub and pick up an SVS PB13 Ultra or a PB12-Plus/2 (pretty nice in paino black). They cost less and best the RT12 hands down.

You might have to travel into a bigger city to find a Klipsch dealer that has stock you can try out in store. You could use the find-a-dealer link on their website. There are also a few online stores that carry Klipsch. The find-a-dealer page can help you find online stores too. I'm sure you could find a better price somewhere else. Like I mentioned before, there is quite a bit of markup on speakers. Not nearly as much as cables and speaker wire, but on a $2000 pair of speaker 30-50% is not unheard of.

I think www.vanns.com has the RF63 for $1800 a pair. I think the RT12d is about $2000 online.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-13-08, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Rex

Good Morning! Please educate me concerning OHMS for speaker set up. 4-6-8?? Why the differences? Also, what is the best and/or easiest way to hook up 2 subs. Thanks for your help.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-13-08, 02:12 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook would be a great read. It would give you a pretty good understanding of the basics and should help in your speaker quest.

Matt
post #16 of 21 Old 05-13-08, 02:28 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
RKlowetter wrote: View Post
... Also, what is the best and/or easiest way to hook up 2 subs. Thanks for your help.
If your receiver has only one Sub pre-out ... just use a "Y" cable to send signal to both subs
post #17 of 21 Old 05-16-08, 02:41 PM
Senior Shackster
jakewash

You could also daisy chain the subs if they are close to each other.

I could aslo recommend the Axioms, I have the M80s, Vp150 amd QS8s, check their website for the listening things forum and they have an audition list there. I know there are some owners in Texas, exactly where I can't remember.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-24-08, 03:39 PM
Shackster
Jared

OHMS refer to the load presented to th amp. A bsic ananogy is to compare it to a water pipe. THe lower the OHM the greater the size of the pipe, and therefore there wil be agreater amount of water flowing through that pipe. And it will be harder for the upstream componet to provide the necessary flow.

If you have 4ohm speakers you need an amp capable of driving four ohm speakers.
So, unless the speakers you are buying are 4ohms it doesn't really matter as all Home Theater amps (or receivers) can drive 8ohm loads. Not all can drive 4ohm loads though.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-08-08, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Rex

I could have kept on procrastinating...but the equipment and installation comes on Wednesday! I listened to your advice and spent over 2 hours pursuing THE package and price that we could live with. Initial equipment list for our HT
JVC DLAHD1 projector
ELITE R135WH HD fixed screen
Yamaha RXV1800 A/V receiver
BH200 LG dual blu-ray/HDDVD 1080P
KLIPSCH 7.2 2 RF62, 1 RC64, 4 RS52, 2 RPW 10 (Zip, you were right about the mark-up. This is where I was able to negotiate the most savings.)
Panamax power protection and a a Control 4 Controller to complete the system.
Add in another 30% for all cables, programming, and installation and we came in at $3.30 over our original equipment budget.
Thanks for all the input gang. Guess I'll have to go visit the HT seating forum next so we don't have to sit on folding chairs until XMAS!
post #20 of 21 Old 06-10-08, 12:11 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Sounds like you have the makings of a great setup, and you got a good deal on it all too, congrats! You should be very happy with what you've chosen, and I wouldn't worry about anything becoming obsolete unless you're one of those guys who has to be on the bleeding edge all the time. As much as I'd love to upgrade my gear every few years, it just ain't cheap! I'm still happy with my 6 or 7 year old Denon 2802 receiver, and will be for a few more years.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.