Inwall/onwall/inceiling speaker advice - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 31 Old 06-03-08, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Re: Inwall/onwall/inceiling speaker advice

Doug,

I haven't considered an AT screen seriously because the one time that I mentioned it, my wife's response was, "so now we need a new screen and new speakers!?" Actually, I'm really warming to the idea of moving the components in wall and leaving the speakers, possibly mounting the center channel below the screen, to clean up the front wall.

I'd like to see pics of your HT when its finished.

SPEAKERS: Infinity Beta 20 (L,R), C360 (C), Axiom QS4 (x4-surrounds), CWS 10 Sub (x2)
AV RECEIVER: Sony STR-DA3400ES and AMP: Emotiva UPA-7
PROJECTOR: JVC RS25 and SCREEN: 112" DIY AT Seymour AV 2.35:1
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BDP-83
HD TV: Directv HD20
POWER CENTER: Monster HTS-2600

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 06-03-08, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

PT800,

I plan to follow the advice here and make less radical/costly changes to a pretty good system. Moving the components, couch and adding Ultras are my basic plan now. I may play with the L & R surround locations. But, the side wall for the RS is about six feet further than the side wall for the LS. How big of a problem, if any, could this potentially be?

Why do you say "adding a better sub will be the best solution"?

Thanks for the help.

SPEAKERS: Infinity Beta 20 (L,R), C360 (C), Axiom QS4 (x4-surrounds), CWS 10 Sub (x2)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-03-08, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Owen,

Thanks for complement on the current setup. The new component cabinet will be built in to the right wall (when facing the screen). The DVD baskets and PS3 will be moved as well, leaving only the speakers up front. Seems like that would clean up the front without the costliness (sound quality and price) of in walls.

I tried to access your HT page, but was unsuccessful. I'd like to see it when its working.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments

post #14 of 31 Old 06-03-08, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Matt,

Just took a look at the Magnepan website. I remember the S&V article about the MC1. They seem like awesome speakers but are out of my range.

What is an LLT?

Thanks for the help.

post #15 of 31 Old 06-04-08, 09:28 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Quote:
kjlewie wrote: View Post
Doug,

I'd like to see pics of your HT when its finished.
Here's some work in progress photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/dougbrucemac/HomeTheater

I'm further along, but my camera is at the Canon repair center. Framing is finished. Wiring will be finished tonight. I've gotten one estimate for drywall, but it was a joke ($4k for two rooms! ). I'm waiting for another estimate from a guy who came by last night. My wife has gone from "There's no way in we'll drywall" to "How long do you think it will take?"

I'd like to be in the theater by July 4th.

Doug
post #16 of 31 Old 06-04-08, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Awesome looking theater/bar - 12 foot ceilings in the basement - very nice. The AT screen looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product. I am glad I got to see the intermediate pics though, becaue they led to a few questions.

Would you describe the in wall component space in a little more detail? How many components are you building for and what will the finished product look like (front and back and internal dimensions)? I plan to built the same thing but my current design is a little aggressive for my skill level and needs. Initially, I planned to build a side by side cabinet with enough slots for 8 components and four DVD drawers below (apprx 4' x 4'). I dropped the drawers from the plan as out of my league and, similar to your dry wall bid, too expensive from the pros. I like what you have framed and I know I can build it.

What are your room dimensions? It looks fully enclosed. Is this necessary to achieve ref level "pressurized" bass? Not sure of the correct terms here.

What kind of gear will you use?

kjl

post #17 of 31 Old 06-04-08, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Very nice HT and DIY sub. What size in the driver? How much does the sub weight?

post #18 of 31 Old 06-04-08, 04:28 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Owen,

Thanks for complement on the current setup. The new component cabinet will be built in to the right wall (when facing the screen). The DVD baskets and PS3 will be moved as well, leaving only the speakers up front. Seems like that would clean up the front without the costliness (sound quality and price) of in walls.

I tried to access your HT page, but was unsuccessful. I'd like to see it when its working.

Thanks for the help.
kjlewie, it sounds like you're going to have a very nice, clean arrangement after. I know you have to keep your wife's opinions in consideration as well, but I really lke having the speakers up front and visible, and I think they can look even better in a setup like your future one where there's less clutter and wires etc. up front. Something about just speakers and display seems so clean and nice, and makes me happy.

My page should be up, it worked OK for me just now, but it really is a pretty modest setup (I don't even have HD yet!).

- OJ -

post #19 of 31 Old 06-04-08, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

I got to your webpage earlier today. Very nice HT and DIY sub. What size is the driver? How much does the sub weight?

post #20 of 31 Old 06-04-08, 08:12 PM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:
Hello,

We are planning to upgrade our HT equipment to 7.1 as part of a larger project...
What about building a false wall to hide speakers and bring screen a little to the front

Take a look at this two threads ... I like what they did in the front

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...on-thread.html and http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ld-thread.html

If you're happy with your sub (or even if you get the new SVS PB13) ... a good addition to supplement your subs will be a Buttkicker LFE ... you'll be watching movies ...