Inwall/onwall/inceiling speaker advice - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 31 Old 06-05-08, 08:50 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Re: Inwall/onwall/inceiling speaker advice

Quote:
kjlewie wrote: View Post
I am glad I got to see the intermediate pics though, becaue they led to a few questions.

Would you describe the in wall component space in a little more detail? How many components are you building for and what will the finished product look like (front and back and internal dimensions)? I plan to built the same thing but my current design is a little aggressive for my skill level and needs. Initially, I planned to build a side by side cabinet with enough slots for 8 components and four DVD drawers below (apprx 4' x 4'). I dropped the drawers from the plan as out of my league and, similar to your dry wall bid, too expensive from the pros. I like what you have framed and I know I can build it.
I bought a Raxxess 20 space rack (http://www.raxxess.com/product.asp?ID=209) and the optional smoked glass door. The rack was ~$90 and the door was ~$120. I'm building a table in the closet on which it will sit. The table will have storage underneath the rack. I'm building the table larger than the rack's footprint. This will give me room to pull out the amp, make connections, then slide it back in. I'm also building two panels flush with the back of the rack, rack height. One side will have power outlets. The other side will have connections for speakers, Ethernet, component and HDMI to the projector, satellite antenna cable, subwoofer cable, etc. The sides will be removable to allow access. All cable runs are through conduit to allow change/upgrade. The power to the rack, projector and sub will be on the same dedicated circuit.

Quote:
What are your room dimensions? It looks fully enclosed. Is this necessary to achieve ref level "pressurized" bass? Not sure of the correct terms here.
The HT space is roughly 16x18, with the refreshment area to the side roughly 8x10. It is fully enclosed. I've read that a sub acts differently in an enclosed space. I've heard it descibed as loading up the room. I'll leave it to the better informed to fill in the technical details.
Quote:
What kind of gear will you use?
kjl
This will be a practical man's, not an audio/videophile's HT.

Projector - Optoma HD70
Screen - Seymour AT DIY*
Speakers -
L/C/R - Ascend Acoustics CMT 340 SE's (vertical center)
Surrounds - Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 SE's
Surround Backs - Ascend Acoustics HTM 200 Classics
Subwoofer - SVS PB12 NSD

Satellite - Dish Network HD Tuner*
BD Player - PS3*
Other Gamer - Wii*
DVD/DVD Audio/SACD Player - Oppo DV980H*

AT Receiver - Panasonic SA-XR57K
I was fascinated by the concept of digital amps. This unit was on sale for $239. I found out Panasonic has discontinued this item, so I bought it. I've been pleasantly surprised. There's only one HDMI in, so I may purchase a 4x2 HDMI switcher (see below).

The added bonus is that the XR57 has A&B main outs that can be switched to allow bi-wiring. It so happens that the Ascend 340's can be bi-wired, the connection between the high and low side of the crossover is an external, removable strap between two sets of binding posts. Even if there's a debatable advantage to bi-wiring, I'll be driving L&R with 200 watts a side. More headroom never hurts. I'm running two sets of wire to the fronts.

As a reality check, I may A/B with my NAD T762 when everything is set up.

HDMI Switch - Accell Ultra AV (http://www.accellcables.com/products.../4x2Switch.htm). I'm getting a 4x2 to allow me to send HDMI out to a nearby den/office space. The thought is we could buy an LCD for SD watching to save the projector bulb. The problem is for the size TV we want, we could buy two bulbs for the projector. Based on our viewing habits, I calculate we'll get >2 years from a bulb. Since we watch mostly movies and the PBS shows we watch are in HD, we may end up in the HT for all viewing. We'll see how it goes before plunking down money for another TV.

* - Yet to purchase.

I'm also considering getting an IR repeater and mounting the sensor in the ceiling above the couch. That way, I just aim the remotes straight up. This way, I can keep the door to the equipment rack closed and my remotes will still function. It will also allow me to add another sensor in the den/office when we get an LCD to watch SD programming.

Hope this helps and good luck on your project.

Doug

Last edited by DougMac; 06-05-08 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 06-05-08, 09:10 AM
Senior Shackster

John

Quote:
PT800,

I plan to follow the advice here and make less radical/costly changes to a pretty good system. Moving the components, couch and adding Ultras are my basic plan now. I may play with the L & R surround locations. But, the side wall for the RS is about six feet further than the side wall for the LS. How big of a problem, if any, could this potentially be?

Why do you say "adding a better sub will be the best solution"?

Thanks for the help.
Most HT receivers have independent distances settings for each channel. So even though your side distances are different, by quite a bit, you input those separate distances in the speaker distance menu.
If you are happy with your Infinity speakers, upgrading the sub will provide you with a more satisfying bass. As opposed to buying all new speakers, which would cost you more.
post #23 of 31 Old 06-05-08, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Very helpful information. Thanks a million Doug. I have a small request. Please get your camera fixed so you can post more pictures. The in wall rack is exactly what I want to do. If you can provide more build pics, tips and advice, I'm all ears. Are you stacking your components or adding shelves to the raxxess cabinet? If your rack is going to sit on a to be built table, will it not be connected to the wall? Or, will it be connected to the wall with the table for support?

With movies, sports and HD we use the projector quite a bit. We've had it for four years and we're still on the first bulb, probably getting close to time for a new one, though.

Nice idea for the IR repeater. I have a Harmony 880 that works through the dark glass in my setup but it's not flawless.

Thanks again for the info.

kjl

SPEAKERS: Infinity Beta 20 (L,R), C360 (C), Axiom QS4 (x4-surrounds), CWS 10 Sub (x2)
AV RECEIVER: Sony STR-DA3400ES and AMP: Emotiva UPA-7
PROJECTOR: JVC RS25 and SCREEN: 112" DIY AT Seymour AV 2.35:1
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BDP-83
HD TV: Directv HD20
POWER CENTER: Monster HTS-2600

Clearly, I'm a man of action - just give me a few minutes to think about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #24 of 31 Old 06-06-08, 08:30 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
I got to your webpage earlier today. Very nice HT and DIY sub. What size is the driver? How much does the sub weight?
Thanks kjlewie! The driver is an old school Adire Tempest 15". I built it before these crazy high excursion drivers were widely available, but I'm still quite happy with it. I've never weighed it, but it's fairly heavy... not so much that I can't move it with another person if I have to, but it doesn't walk at all.

...as much as I am happy with it, I do have a lot of sub envy over the projects on the forums. Lol.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #25 of 31 Old 06-06-08, 09:10 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

Quote:
I have a small request. Please get your camera fixed so you can post more pictures.
It should be in next week. Canon says it's an extremely rare problem; the lens would not release from the Rebel xti body. I tried to get them to fix it for free by claiming it's a design flaw. They threw me a bone and took 20% off the repair cost.

Quote:
Are you stacking your components or adding shelves to the raxxess cabinet? If your rack is going to sit on a to be built table, will it not be connected to the wall? Or, will it be connected to the wall with the table for support?
I'm using rack shelves for everything but the receiver, which will sit on the bottom of the cabinet.

The front support for the table will be attached to the storage room wall. The cabinet will be screwed to the table. There will be trim around the cabinet on the HT wall, similar to the trim around the door to the HT. The cabinet will actually stick out in the room some. Since it will have a door, it will have to stick out enough to allow the door to open all the way while clearing the trim. The door is not flat, it's about an inch deep to allow knobs on equipment to clear. Therefore, the front of the cabinet needs to be at least 1 3/4 inch out from the wall.

This weekend's agenda is to build the table. It looks like there'll be no construction photos, but I'll post as soon as my camera returns.

Doug
post #26 of 31 Old 06-06-08, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Those build threads are awesome. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop! The warm glow of the laptop at 1:00 AM didn't seem to bother my wife one bit. Thanks for the links.

I'm a little unsure about how to picture a false wall front without side walls to the left and right. I did a search and could find nothing. Do you have any more links or examples?

The look on my wife's face when I mentioned the Buttkicker, specifically when I said, "I'll rip open the bottom of the couch and screw the things in...". That was great. I think I need to find someone with the buttkicker already installed so she can experience it. Then, I can begin the delicate negotiations.

Thanks for the help.

kjl

SPEAKERS: Infinity Beta 20 (L,R), C360 (C), Axiom QS4 (x4-surrounds), CWS 10 Sub (x2)

post #27 of 31 Old 06-08-08, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Based on the suggestions and ideas I''ve received, here is a Sketchup of the changes I plan to make to the HT. I think the front wall will look much cleaner - thanks for the help. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any thoughts on acoustic treatments that I can plan to add over time? I included a coupe of additional pics to show the volume of the space for those that understand the acoustics (not me).

I think this thread should be in a different area now that we are no longer discussing in wall speakers. Which area would be better suited and how do I move it?

Thanks,

kjl

post #28 of 31 Old 06-09-08, 12:03 AM
Elite Shackster

David

Quote:

I'm a little unsure about how to picture a false wall front without side walls to the left and right. I did a search and could find nothing. Do you have any more links or examples?
Sorry I don't ...

Quote:
... The look on my wife's face when I mentioned the Buttkicker, specifically when I said, "I'll rip open the bottom of the couch and screw the things in...". That was great. I think I need to find someone with the buttkicker already installed so she can experience it. Then, I can begin the delicate negotiations.
I found this online ... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...NTWXX&ZYXSEM=0 ... it seems a good deal, you can check about their return policy before ordering one, then try it ... and if you don't like it send it back

I know you won't be disapointed with this purchase ... I don't regret getting mine (I ordered one first and a week later I got another for the second row )
post #29 of 31 Old 06-09-08, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
kjlewie

Thanks again and good luck with your project.

kjl

post #30 of 31 Old 06-10-08, 05:54 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

kjl, I think you're on the right track with the curtains behind your speakers to deaden a bit of front wall reflection. As far as any further acoustic treatments, I'd just wait and see how everything sounds, and then decide if there are any problems you want to fix. I think usually if you have a large opening on one side, you want to deaden the wall on the other side to try to match, but it looks like your opening is at the rear, so you should be good. That's my only thought right now.

- OJ -