New person needing purchase advice - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 06-13-08, 11:09 AM
choctaw
Inactive

Re: New person needing purchase advice

Eugovector
Thanks, I take that as a vote for the Aperions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 06-13-08, 11:52 AM
Senior Shackster
Doug

I went with an SVS sub and I'm very pleased. I narrowed down my choice of speakers to SVS and Ascend. After reading numerous customer reviews and professional reviews and looking at response curves, I went with Ascends, but it was a close call. I've been very pleased.

Doug
post #13 of 21 Old 06-13-08, 12:17 PM
choctaw
Inactive

Dougmac
Thank you for the input. I checked out the ascend site and the reviews are very impressive. I e-mailed them my question about side mounting in an enclosure.
Thanks
Mitch

post #14 of 21 Old 06-13-08, 02:56 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
choctaw wrote: View Post
JDC, I had to look up WAF in the glossary I thought it meant something technical that gives away my expertise in electronics. What do you mean by uber technical reason (not in glossary)? I defiantly need help with this very important ( to me ) decision and the more I find out the more questions I have. Thank you again for your much appreciated advise. I will contact SVS, I need to create a diagram showing the layout of my listening area first ( Picture worth 1000 words ) to make it as painless as possible to advise this non geek type person. Actually I had already read the auditioning speakers section on this site and yes this is fun. Thanks again

Mitch
I forget that I throw around some words that may not be in everyone's vocabulary..

So you've got "WAF" down now.

As for "uber", I'd just go with uber=very.

Looks like you've got some more good advice here on some other choices.

Enjoy the process!

JCD
post #15 of 21 Old 06-13-08, 03:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

I second the suggestion for SVS all around. Its fairly important to try to match speakers in a room and this way your getting the best bang for buck and wont need to upgrade any time soon.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #16 of 21 Old 06-13-08, 06:11 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

Ascend Acoustics
Sierras if ya can afford them. at least L-C-R, CBM170 SE surrounds.

The fact that SVS contributes to this forum means nada to me(although I'm glad), the Sierras will sound better from all accounts I've seen.
May wanna get 3 center channels because of your situation- talk to Dave Fabrikant at Ascend.

That's my .02

Buying more cheap stuff to get better sound is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.

Last edited by muzz; 06-13-08 at 06:21 PM.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-14-08, 09:10 AM
choctaw
Inactive

Thanks muzz
I was thinking the same thing about 3 centers. They are designed to be in a horizontal position. I already e-mailed Ascend asking about my situation (still haven't made a drawing yet). You guy are great I didn't have anything like this when I put my first system together.

Mitch
post #18 of 21 Old 06-15-08, 03:11 PM
Senior Shackster
muzz

If you CALL them and ask to speak to Dave, he will discuss his offerings directly, and give you honest advice.
I know for a fact that he gets bombarded with Emails, which may take a couple of days.

Buying more cheap stuff to get better sound is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-15-08, 06:39 PM
choctaw
Inactive

Thanks Muzz
I don't mind waiting, then I have a reply that I can refer back to. A lot of this stuff goes over my head the first time through. With e-mail I can go back reread and say "That's what he meant". I'm a Land Surveyor, this stuff is something I don't deal with often. If I don't hear from them in a couple of day's I'll call.
Mitch
post #20 of 21 Old 06-16-08, 06:42 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
muzz wrote: View Post
Ascend Acoustics
Sierras if ya can afford them. at least L-C-R, CBM170 SE surrounds.

The fact that SVS contributes to this forum means nada to me(although I'm glad), the Sierras will sound better from all accounts I've seen.
May wanna get 3 center channels because of your situation- talk to Dave Fabrikant at Ascend.

That's my .02
Just to be clear, I also wouldn't recommend SVS if I didn't think they were best of breed for their price point. I can't say that I've personally heard them, but from people that I know of and respect have and have always come through with glowing reviews.

But again, speakers are matter of taste..

JCD