hoping to ugprade soon - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 11 Old 05-25-06, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Bri

Re: hoping to ugprade soon

My stuff arrived a few days ago. We're settling into a new house right now, but I hooked it all up the first night it was here (I had the TV/equipment all hooked up, speaker wires run the night before), and re-did the wall mounts last night.

I ran some sweeps with Avia and found a good spot for the sub (out from the front right corner, along the wall on the right side sort of in front of the front right speaker. I then re-did the calibration and got everything tuned real well. It helped to have done so much playing around with my H100 at my previous residence. I will probably end up tweaking some more, but with the Avia sweep tones, the sub plays pretty flat (at least it's much flatter than it was when placed in the front right corner).

It sounds amazing. I haven't done any big-bass stuff yet, but music sounds absolutely amazing, and the bass is tight and very musical (Bright Eyes, The Shins, Norah Jones, etc.). A few movie scenes I tried (House of Flying Daggers, a few others) even sounded a little different, more detailed and clear, more defined bass and more detail in the mids/highs. We watched last week's 24 and this week's finale last night. I noticed a bunch of sounds during scenes in the CTU office I had never noticed before. I had to pause it because it sounded like people outside or somewhere talking/murmuring. And this is at the same volume level I used to listen on the previous system.

The soundstage is great. I haven't done a lot of critical listening, but with my rectangular room (18.5deep x 14.5wide x 8.75high, plus 4' or so extra deep for a step-up path from front door to dining), the soundstage in 2.1 stereo goes beyond left/right past the speakers (sometimes sounds like it's coming from behind me) - may be partly due to room acoustics, reverb, but it still sounds great even at high volumes (much higher than I could take my old low-end line Infinitys). Voices are crystal clear and instruments are very detailed.

I can't wait to listen to more music and watch more movies on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement