Monitors - Where to Start? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 05-02-06, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Re: Monitors - Where to Start?

I surfed across this

"The monitors (Mackie HR624) are clearer than the Polks (LSi7)...Surprisingly enough, despite the clarity on the monitors, there are some tracks I have prefered *without* the extra bit (of information?) from the Mackies, and have enjoyed it more on the Polks...on the Mackies, the percussion sounds so good, its like what you would expect to hear live. The Polks still sound great, but still sound like a speaker...You can hear so clearly every 'croak' (got a better word?) and alteration in Diana Kralls voice on the Mackies. The Polks give a good voice, but lacks a certain detail."

He decided to go with the Polks. Which leads me to wonder, which of you prefer a more detailed, informative or revealing system, and which of you would prefer a more euphonic one that might hide the waeknesses in a soundtrack or recording? Would HT be better served by the more revealing speakers and music by the more euphonic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 05-02-06, 05:13 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

If the question is directed at me, I want to hear EXACTLY what the recording engineer put down on the track. As much as possible, I want to have speakers that are as dynamic and transparent as possible. If the performer coughs on a track, I wanna hear it. For me, I'm looking for the illusion of feeling like I'm actually there. So if someone coughs while recording a track, I'd like to hear it.

If that means a poorly produced record shows it's flaws, then so be it.

Now, I can totally understand if someone doesn't want that kind of clarity, neutralness, etc. That's why there are many different brands of speakers out there.

As a side note, I've also heard some sound engineers purposely alter a track so it will sound better on a lesser system. Pure hearsay, but I have heard it a couple of times.

Anyway, that's me..

JCD
post #13 of 26 Old 05-02-06, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

My question is directed to everybody. Everyone is welcome to chime in. Maybe I won't go so far as to post a poll.

Thanks for your response JCD. I think I feel the same way, but I'll have to listen for myself and let you know my final answer.

Quote:
I've also heard some sound engineers purposely alter a track so it will sound better on a lesser system. Pure hearsay, but I have heard it a couple of times.
If you're not being sarcastic (I'm slow) or to inform the uninformed, then the extreme example is TV. High pass filters and dynamic compression/volume leveling galore. Sometimes to the point of distraction. All to try to make it listenable on TV speakers.

Dynamic compression is very often overdone to make stuff listenable on cheap CD players in noisy cars. An "audiophile" recording is very hard to listen to in that circumstance.

post #14 of 26 Old 05-02-06, 05:48 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Quote:
Ayreonaut wrote:
If you're not being sarcastic (I'm slow) or to inform the uninformed, then the extreme example is TV. High pass filters and dynamic compression/volume leveling galore. Sometimes to the point of distraction. All to try to make it listenable on TV speakers.

Dynamic compression is very often overdone to make stuff listenable on cheap CD players in noisy cars. An "audiophile" recording is very hard to listen to in that circumstance.

Nope, not sarcastic -- and when I heard this, it was directed at regular CD recordings, not just TV which is almost always going to have poor fidelity. And your point about TV sound signals makes a certain level of sense.

Again, I can't confirm or deny these allegations, just reporting what I've heard around the proverbial watercooler.

JCD
post #15 of 26 Old 05-03-06, 02:11 AM
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Send a message via Skype™ to Fincave

I am keen on hearing everything that is on an album though admittedly sometimes it is not desirable. If an album is put together well then the experience can be sublime but hearing a song that you like that then does not sound as good can be disappointing, even if you are hearing exactly what has been put down. My local hifi magazine had an article on cds that they use when testing and reviewing speakers, one of which was Johnny Cash - The man comes around. I have the album and have listened to it a lot, both with my previous speakers and my monitors. The track Hurt is a favourite of mine and sounded really great with my old speakers. Listening with the monitors that are very accurate there seems to be a lot of distortion towards the end of the song. I almost thought that somewhere something was not right. Read their article and the reviewer specifically mentioned the track and said that accurate speakers will reveal a lot of distortion. Relief to know that nothing was wrong, but a bit disappointing that a great song could have sounded better. All said and done, I still want to hear everything as it was put down, mistakes and all!
post #16 of 26 Old 05-04-06, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

I've been doing my research (surfing) into the possibility of using studio monitors in my HT setup. There aren't many choices if I need a horizontal center channel speaker, and I do.

The best option looks like Mackie who makes the HR626 and HR 624. These are both bi-amped active monitors with 6.7 inch woofers and 1.0 inch Aluminum/Impregnated Cloth tweeters. They street for about $650 ea and $450 ea respectively. I think I can swing that.

The only other option in the sub $1000 studio monitor route with a horizontal center is the Tannoy Reveal 66D and 6D. These take a digital signal and have onboard DACs. They go for a bit more at streets of $700 and $550.

The Mackies seem to have the better rep and I'll definately have to get down to guitar center one of these days and hav a listen. It will be interesting to pit them against the more "hi-fi" offerings from good companies like B&W and Paradigm.

I'll keep you posted.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-04-06, 04:53 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

I can't wait to hear what you think about them.

Regarding the center channel, why not just use a regular speaker mounted vertically? They're relatively small, so I don't think they'd look too funny. Also, if you put the speaker on MoPads, you'll get great isolation and the ability to set them up at an angle (so they point at you).

Also, you can find the 824's for $630 with free shipping here. If you're willing to spend $650/speaker, I think the 824's are supposed to be a "worth it" upgrade.

As a side note, beware of going down to the Guitar Center -- the last time I went to one and took a look at the speakers that were set up, every dust cap was poked in, one of the speaker cones was punctured.. and I have no idea what they did to the tweeters.

JCD
post #18 of 26 Old 05-05-06, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

It would be nice to use three identical monitors for the fronts. Not only would they be perfectly matched, but it opens up a lot of other options. But in my living room, I can't see it work.

My TV is in an armoire. Its a big WAF thing. She wants to close it up when not in use. I know, its a no-no to put my center channel in an armoire. I just have to make it work.

When I first set up I noticed an ugly resonance coming form the armoire. The Polk center I have now is rear ported and it was a problem. I tried the sock in the port and wasn't satisfied with the result. So I found this stuff.

Technifoam Polyurethane Acoustic Foam Panels - 4" Pyramid.

I cut it to fill the whole space behind the center over the TV and put in two layers of the stuff. Worked like a charm. Resonance gone.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was, when I went to the only local acousitcs place to pick up the foam and they said that they had never had a home audio enthusiast come in to buy acoustical foam before. Go figure.

Long story short, until I build a HT room years from now, I need a horizontal CC to go on top of the TV. I will look into the angled MoPads. I'd never heard of them.

By the way, I've read that the HR824s have a better bass response, but many actually prefer the mids and highs of the HR624. Since I'll be using them in a sub/sat configuration with an 80 Hz crossover, I think the smaller ones will be fine. But I'll have a listen to both anyway.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-06-06, 01:20 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Send a message via MSN to Danny

With speakers you generally get what you pay for. however if you bought a driver worth $1000
it might only be 3 times better that a $100 driver even though it is 10 times the price. that said one of the things I like to do when buying a new speaker is to have a listen before I buy it.
Recently had a chance to listen to some speakers worth $1000 for each driver, sounded awesome. Just be aware if you are comparing speakers by ear, the room they are been used in can make a huge difference to the sound so what sounds good in one room could sound terrible in another.
post #20 of 26 Old 05-18-06, 01:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Greg

I would not neccessarily be afraid of a rear ported speaker. There are compromises when putting any speakers against a wall or in a bookshelf that have nothing to do with the port. I think especially if you cross the speakers over at 80hz there is not much going on with a typical port anyway. I am not saying it has no effect, but I wouldn't rule out a speaker if it was my sonic first choice with rear ports to one that I didn't like as much that has front ports. I have my L/R speakers in bookshelves and they are rear ported. I like them much better than the sealed speakers which should have done better from a technical standpoint in the bookshelves. Just something to think about.

Greg