What's wrong with this picture? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #11 of 31 Old 04-23-16, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

I fully agree with the conspicuous consumption issue these speakers raise, and yes, if I were Bill Gates I might build a home theater of top gear too. However I would certainly pay more attention to room effects. If there is one thing I am learning after about a decade of limping along with half dead Hogan's Goat system, it is what room effects can do. Software wizards can do much to "fix" bad rooms and placements, but only so far.

I have been in too many college lecture halls where it was impossible for anyone to hear what was being said over the pa system. (And some that were superb as well!) Most of the time it was a "multi purpose room," perhaps doubling as a basket ball court of gymnasium, hard floors, and flat high ceiling.

The gear is spectacular looking and likely sounds OK, but is all show. Clearly only a stereo set-up, with no surround and not well suited for watching movies.

--Dick Sullivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 05-01-16, 11:43 AM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

If I had the disposable cash, I'd buy that system (but I wouldn't have it in that room and $1M systems are way out of my reach). I've heard the little brother to those Radialstrahlers, and they are superb transducers in every respect. Those amps are equally impressive (after 16 hours of driving a 101E at insane volumes, each was barely warm), as is the entire MBL line. I'm very happy with a ridiculously pedestrian system, by comparison, but I don't look at those unreachable grapes and think, "Ah, well, they're probably sour, anyway."
willis7469 likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 05-01-16, 10:21 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Looks great. Probably sounds like a 1k HTIB(loudness notwithstanding) with about 5 minutes of decay in the room. I'd guess the open magazine on the table provides the most absorption of any surface in there. Room is gorgeous though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #14 of 31 Old 05-07-16, 08:22 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Richsul wrote: View Post
A $250,000.00 set of speakers. Could you make do it better for less? What I see is ridiculous.

--Dick Sullivan

If I had the money, these would probably be mine. They handled everything thrown at 'em, rock music was not a problem in the least. The MBLs are not silly, over-priced jewelry, they are a purpose built statement piece that completely live up to their asking price.

I'd work on the room, it is likely the room pictured in the OP has an interior decorator's touch. The 2016 Axpona exhibitor room was painstakingly tuned, which certainly accounted for much of what we heard.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-report-3.html

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #15 of 31 Old 05-07-16, 09:47 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

The picture is taken from MBL's website, so it might just be for appearances sake and not someone's actual setup.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #16 of 31 Old 05-10-16, 02:10 AM
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
The picture is taken from MBL's website, so it might just be for appearances sake and not someone's actual setup.
Yup, it could be from the showroom.
There's nothing wrong with this picture, just luxury living, and some expensive speakers.
Too bad I don't have enough space to do this.
post #17 of 31 Old 05-11-16, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I agree.

And of course, they are not selling to a knowledgeable market, at least not as theater and sound systems go. This also tells you that the system may not be that much better than say one that sells for perhaps, $12,000.00. I believe that at a certain point it's the "cocktail" that counts, not some supposed quality issue. In fact, a system that reproduced a "perfect" replication of the original sound may not be one that is preferred. Is it a good system? Yes. And it is powerful enough to fill the room --and pretty too. Would I like to have one? <Drool>

There used to be a 15 to 1 ratio of cost of manufacture to sales price for speakers, but today it may be different. Back when, that only applied to systems a normal human being could afford. Here it is a market where cost is of no concern. (One I'd like to be in!)
post #18 of 31 Old 05-11-16, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Well I admit one of the benefits of a system installed like this is I wouldn't have to turn on the "Arena" reverb function on my cheapo AV receiver, I would get the real thing here. Audessy or REW could remove a lot of the room effects here, but still, the room effects are going to be a real problem.

Then there is the point of diminishing returns where the curve flattens out, and then it becomes a "what is your cocktail effect." The conspicuous consumption, the WOW effect is certainly at play here, and big time. Would I like a system like this? You bet. But only if someone gave me a set. I would venture to say that many here, could for one tenth the $250,000.00 build a system that could egual this one in a double blind crossover test, and especially in this room. Double that and it is a done deal. The visual effect of the speakers is stunning, and it is interesting to note that all of the promo pics show the covers off. I do believe that they might move into the area of intrinsic value as art objects. A real Vermeer is priceless, one that takes serious scientific testing to determine it is a forgery, not so much.

--Dick Sullivan
post #19 of 31 Old 05-12-16, 08:54 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Richsul wrote: View Post
I agree.

And of course, they are not selling to a knowledgeable market, at least not as theater and sound systems go. This also tells you that the system may not be that much better than say one that sells for perhaps, $12,000.00. I believe that at a certain point it's the "cocktail" that counts, not some supposed quality issue.
You should frame that as opinion, instead of a sweeping generalization.

I am confident enough of my knowledge in this market to know that I have plenty to learn. The more you know, the more you understand what is left to know.

Quote:
In fact, a system that reproduced a "perfect" replication of the original sound may not be one that is preferred. Is it a good system? Yes. And it is powerful enough to fill the room --and pretty too. Would I like to have one? <Drool>
So you have heard these particular speakers?

Quote:
There used to be a 15 to 1 ratio of cost of manufacture to sales price for speakers, but today it may be different. Back when, that only applied to systems a normal human being could afford. Here it is a market where cost is of no concern. (One I'd like to be in!)
You can either afford the cost of admission, or not. This system is not for "normal" humans. It is for those that want and can afford the state of the art.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #20 of 31 Old 05-13-16, 08:23 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Why do most ppl hate what they can't afford ?