What's wrong with this picture? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

What's wrong with this picture?

A $250,000.00 set of speakers. Could you make do it better for less? What I see is ridiculous.

--Dick Sullivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 01:02 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: What's wrong with this picture?

You've heard the saying, "What separates the men from the boys is the price of their toys!"

From the looks of things, I doubt it matters to this guy what they cost. It is a beautiful set up! Anybody know what those amps are?
post #3 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 01:30 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

MBL's are statement pieces, in the same vein as a Bugatti Veyron is. For someone looking at those speakers - or the Veyron, for that matter - price isn't a consideration. Not everything falls into the "best bang for the buck!" category thankfully (not that I could afford them, of course).

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #4 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 01:30 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
You've heard the saying, "What separates the men from the boys is the price of their toys!"

From the looks of things, I doubt it matters to this guy what they cost. It is a beautiful set up! Anybody know what those amps are?
I think they are MBL

http://www.mbl.de/monostereo-power-a...008-a/?lang=en
DEANO222 likes this.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 01:32 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post

Those are MBL amps as well.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

And other one from Liberace:

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

OK, first off the room effect there remove $248,000.00 quality from the loudspeakers. It's playing in a great big bathtub... boom boom boom --more reverb than the Cologne Cathedral, like 13 seconds? 15 foot ceiling, approx 30 feet wide, and a guess, 45 foot deep. 15x30x45=20,000+ sq ft. Not bad, those amps can push that much, and presumably the speakers can take the power, but sheese, all that glass, and no carpets? And the ceiling is flat and looks like plaster. Nothing there to break up standing waves. That appears to be a flat panel TV in the center. It's maybe a 65" pano but the seating area is back in binocular country, around 20 feet away. I wouldn't want to watch a subtitled movie from.

Now about the windows. There does appear to be some light screening and filtering going on, like a fain screen over the glass, but I guess stops around 1/2 a stop, but that is not going to cut much light during the day, so perhaps the flat panel is what is called an outdoor tv, if not, this is going to be an after dark event watching movies.

After a certain price level, quality reaches limit and it then becomes "what is your favorite cocktail?" You may like a Manhattan, me a Sidecar, and our friend over there an, old fashion, but it is hard to say one is better than the other. I don't know where that price level is, but I can say for sure it is a lot lower than a quarter million.

It's clearly a marketing shot, designed to tweak someone who has money, the issue is the buy (Sell?) the very best, and conspicuously so. That it does. I kind of like the looks, slightly French Belle Epoque.

I remember the old joke about hi-fi from the 60's.

Question: What is the biggest problem in hi-fi?

Answer: "You are going to put those where?"

--Dick Sullivan
willis7469 likes this.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 02:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
MBL's are statement pieces, in the same vein as a Bugatti Veyron is. For someone looking at those speakers - or the Veyron, for that matter - price isn't a consideration. Not everything falls into the "best bang for the buck!" category thankfully (not that I could afford them, of course).
Couldn't agree more, some people simply have disposable income like that. They simply want something that looks amazing in the space they have.
The flat screen display is a 2,35:1 aspect so they are not cheap either. I bet classical and jazz sound amazing on those MBLs, agree the room is not ideal but the type of music those speakers are designed for they would do well in a large space like that. The MBLs are not "rock and roll" speakers although in the right environment I'm sure would do well with that as well.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #8 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 07:29 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Precisely. When my friend graduated from high school and signed with the New York Yankees there wasn't a single set of speakers or amps he couldn't afford. He wasn't a avid audiophile but he always saw me drooling over audio gear, so what did he do?... He went out and bought the most expensive Martin Logan electrostats and Mark Levinson amps the dealer had with his signing bonus.

Money was of no concern. Some people are just in a position like that.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #9 of 31 Old 04-22-16, 10:53 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
I would probably want a bigger TV but the owners have it setup just the way they want it so I have no criticism towards anything there.
It looks very nice.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-23-16, 12:42 AM
Elite Shackster

bigbadbill

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
I would probably want a bigger TV but the owners have it setup just the way they want it so I have no criticism towards anything there.
It looks very nice.
I agree, even if they were purchased purely for the "Bling" value, they are probably more than adequate for what they want in the audio department.

Unfortunately, I don't have a room large enough to accommodate that setup.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.