Official Klipsch Owners Thread - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 467 Old 09-24-11, 10:35 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
chashint wrote:
Overall he said nice things but if you read between the lines its the same old song and dance when it comes to Klipsch reviews.
Highly revealing = harsh
Need low-distortion amplification that tends to the warm side = harsh
Willing to live in the sweet spot = only one place sounds good

I really do wish reviewers would think of the source material being the potential issue first instead of the amplifier or the speakers. There is a difference between being clear and well defined verses harsh and grating. If you hear things with one speaker that you don't hear with another maybe the other speaker just can't reproduce that sound. This has nothing to do with the amplifier.
Far too often I see the warm amplifier moniker tossed out to pair with "highly revealing" speakers. Amplifiers are neither warm or bright or revealing or muddy... if they are functioning correctly and not being over driven they are the same.
Klipsch has the reputation of being a highly directional speaker but I have found that the Klipsch horn provides one of the most forgiving soundstages, the 90x60 horn does provide focus but you don't have to be in the perfect position to hear the clarity and detail of the various instruments any more so than any other speaker.
The one thing he got right (if he had refrained from qualifying it) is the speakers are efficient and don't need a lot of power to produce a lot of sound.
Yea I agree with what you said but, I wish their was a way for them to quantify a low distortion amp. I have heard klipsch with 35 watt tube amps that sounded great and, 600 watts that just were ehh-ok. Every one claims low distortion so looking at it how do you tell if it is a low distortion. And when he says warm is he referring to the preamplifier section.?

He brings up more questions, I am glade that he is willing to bring them up though as opposed to brushing over them as I have seen in some others so you should give him credit. Eg from a review i read not on klipsch but a different system they lean slighty to the yang in my room. ( what does that even mean!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 467 Old 09-24-11, 02:28 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Re: Official Klipsch Owners Thread

That is interesting to hear the XPA3 has an audible hiss during quiet passages.
The only time you should hear any hiss is when the volume is turned up to the maximum level and there is no input signal... even then it should be just barely audible right next to the speaker.
If you are hearing hiss with the volume set to produce reference level, I would consider that unacceptable.
Anyone else out there with a XPA that hisses ??
post #113 of 467 Old 09-24-11, 07:21 PM
Shackster

CHiNGOBLiNG

My System

hmmm; you got me thinking about that hiss your hearing. Now did you calibrate AVR with on board software. If so go to step to "if" hiss persist; go into menu an maybe play with db range. Give it a shot. Once I calibrated; I messed the db settings will keeping eq curve that AUDESSEY MULTI Q32. An a once to my liking; MANNN ! IS IT LOUD if I want it. An CLEAR !! . LIKE scary loud. but that is rarely the way I play it. I could put it a level that is comfortably louder than usual and the dynamics that movies have is amazing. But enjoy.

YOU GOT TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #114 of 467 Old 09-24-11, 09:03 PM
Shackster

CHiNGOBLiNG

My System

http://www.hometheater.com/content/k...speaker-system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #115 of 467 Old 09-27-11, 08:32 AM
Senior Shackster
SGA

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
That is interesting to hear the XPA3 has an audible hiss during quiet passages.
The only time you should hear any hiss is when the volume is turned up to the maximum level and there is no input signal... even then it should be just barely audible right next to the speaker.
If you are hearing hiss with the volume set to produce reference level, I would consider that unacceptable.
Anyone else out there with a XPA that hisses ??
The XPA3 hiss is audible - and same level - regardless of AVR (calibrated with Audyssey MultiEq XT) volume level. Again, not very loud... but not dead, either.

Regards,
sga2
post #116 of 467 Old 09-27-11, 08:55 PM
Shackster

CHiNGOBLiNG

My System

Well then i would have to recommend you contact them an explain to them what is going on. An if it is less than the 5 yr warranty; SEND IT BACK !. I just had a thought disconnect all inputs to amp; an listen? I mean just to see. Could it interference? noise bleeding into the system......

post #117 of 467 Old 09-27-11, 09:14 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Quote:
sga2 wrote: View Post
The XPA3 hiss is audible - and same level - regardless of AVR (calibrated with Audyssey MultiEq XT) volume level. Again, not very loud... but not dead, either.

Regards,
sga2
That is very unfortunate, it appears the unit is defective.
Hopefully Emotiva will fix it and you don't have to pay shipping charges on it.
post #118 of 467 Old 10-11-11, 05:35 PM
Shackster
nomar

New member, here's my setup as of now. temporary of course. Just moved, and still settling in.

EDIT:
Okay, so how do I post pictures? I posted the [IMG] code, and nothing appeared.
post #119 of 467 Old 10-11-11, 05:39 PM
Shackster
nomar

Okay, I get it. 5 posts..
post #120 of 467 Old 10-11-11, 07:42 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

So let's see!

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks