Official Klipsch Owners Thread - Page 19 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #181 of 467 Old 10-21-13, 10:24 PM

Ron

My System
Re: Official Klipsch Owners Thread

I am once again a Klipsch owner... I just picked up a pretty ratty (cosmetically) pair of La Scalas for $500. I remember back in 1979 when I bought a pair brand new for $1k!. I was looking through my local Craigslist and I saw them... Most of them are going for $900 and up each and for a pair in fair condition to boot! 1st thing to do is sand the cabinets and paint them black (they will eventually be going behind a AT screen). This means I will be selling my Paradigms and looking for eight more Heresy speakers and one more La Scala. I think I now will have a setup that will keep up with my PSA Triax sub. :-)

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 467 Old 10-21-13, 11:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Welcome back to the club and congrats on the find. May I ask what kind of Paradigms you have and what made you want to switch? I've been mulling over a two channel setup with Paradigms.
post #183 of 467 Old 10-22-13, 01:33 AM

Ron

My System

I have the Paradigm Studio 80 v2 for my mains, CC570 v3 center, and ADP470 v3 surrounds. I wanted to get my system all to the same brand and series and was also looking into other options ie DIY. When I was browsing Craigslist tonight I saw the La Scalas for sale and remembered how much I had loved my first pair... I saw the price and picked them up. I had no qualms with the Paradigms at all.

Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (4) Klipsch RP160MS, (4) JBL 8340As, (2) Yamaha P2500s amps, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..

post #184 of 467 Old 10-22-13, 05:15 PM

Ron

My System

Is there a special spade lug for hooking up the La Scalas or does everyone just use bare wires? I have either 10 or 12 gauge wire with spades on my Paradigms but the spades look way bigger than the hookup on the La Scala.

tia,
Ron

post #185 of 467 Old 10-23-13, 02:17 PM
Shackster

Any input on these speakers?

There's a guy near me selling a pristine pair of RF62s. These are the original - not series ll. He's asking $425 and he's the original owner.

How is this price and how does the older model RF62 compare to the RF62 ll? Couldn't find much on the Klipsch website.

Thanks in advance.
post #186 of 467 Old 10-23-13, 02:43 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
arkiedan wrote: View Post
Any input on these speakers? There's a guy near me selling a pristine pair of RF62s. These are the original - not series ll. He's asking $425 and he's the original owner. How is this price and how does the older model RF62 compare to the RF62 ll? Couldn't find much on the Klipsch website. Thanks in advance.
I can't speak specifically on the RF-62's but I do own the RF-82 ii's and love them come movie night. The RF-62 ii's fared very well in the $1000 speaker shoot out so I'd think a thumbs up is warranted. I would also say the improvement for the newer version would be minimal and that price sounds quite fair. I would think at that price they'll sell fast. I say go for it!
post #187 of 467 Old 10-23-13, 04:02 PM
Shackster
expresso

those are excellent speakers - now for that price - you can just buy the new models - the difference is in the crossover - and drivers are matched to those changes - i own the RF 82's - original version and they Rock - but if i had to do it over again and never got the 82's finally dialed in - i would go with the 62's
reason for this is - they can rock just as much as the 82's - but with having a smaller driver - with the larger tweeter gives you those highs - which are more balanced - as least to me in my apt. - being i dont have the room to place the 82's away from the wall enough - i had to really adjust them - and added sound treatment etc, - they were bottom heavy - i am happy with mines -
i think the 62's would be in my case and a few others that heard them - a bit more balanced between top and bottom end - and for that price can get them brand new - even less actually -

if i were you - buy them from Klipsch - you have 30 days if you really dont like them - i had to work on my system to get the top end to match the bottom end - in the end - i love them - i added a Aphex Exciter to make the adjustments and its all you need - minor changes - brings out those horns

on the new models - you may not need it since they adjusted the crossover to give you more top end
i would recommend the new 62's easy - if you have a larger room and have the room to place the 82's away from the wall more - then maybe they be fine - or else - save your self money and headache the 62's will do the same job - and sound excellent at the same time - oh wait is that price for the pair ? the new ones are $400 each - if thats a pair - and in good condition - thats a great deal i wont even think about it and get them - i have a pair of KG3 for about 20 years and listening to them now -
post #188 of 467 Old 10-23-13, 04:45 PM
Shackster

Thanks JBrax & expresso,

Yeah, that price is for a pair and I think it might make my decision for me. New 62s were on my short list, along with ARX A5s and Emp 55s. Seems this used pair of 62s are a no-brainer considering the price difference. Still, since there's no returning these puppies I think I'll ask the guy for a quick hookup and demo since he's about 1-1/2 hours from here.

Thanks again,
post #189 of 467 Old 10-23-13, 05:35 PM
Shackster
expresso

thats a great price - and yes check them out first - how they look - if all in good shape and listen to them - everyone is different - i am in an apt. - and i went with the 82's - i did find a place to hear either of them - i knew they couldnt be bad thats for sure - but i didnt realize or expect the 82's to be so deep on the bottom and with the ports in the rear - it was a little work to get them right - i am fine with them and adjusted it with the exciter - but a friend who also has the 82's after i he heard mines - he did hear the 62's and would have went with them if the store had them - they didnt and had the 82's so he just went with the 82's because he heard mines already - he did hear the 62's and agree with the balance issue - its an issue for US in our apt. - it may not be for others - all depends on the space you have -

but you cant go wrong with the 62's - they are rock solid on the bottom - i tend to like the horns - i just needed to tame the bottom end and give the top end a little boast - didnt need much for my ears - i got the bottom nice and deep - tight not boomy -

yah go hear them - i cant see anyone not liking them - but then i been with klipsch for over 20 years - even if i wanted to try a different brand - it just wont do it for me -

my friend at first went with the Polk's before he heard mines - and he didnt like them at all - no life in them compared to Klipsch horns
post #190 of 467 Old 11-15-13, 11:38 AM
Shackster

My System

I have KG 4.5. For a 10" two-way, they go fairly deep and to my ears, a sweet sound. Have been searching around for a larger sound - KLF 30 looks pretty sweet, but hard to come by. How do they compare to modern Klipsch towers?