Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

GoldenEar Technology Triton Two+ Tower Review Discussion Thread

8K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  G618 
#1 ·

A defining audio moment can sear itself into one’s collective memory like the taste of a flavorful food. It can’t be shaken and the desire to experience it again can be downright maddening. I had such a moment, last fall, after entering GoldenEar Technology’s demo room at CEDIA 2015. Sandy Gross, GoldenEar’s founder and former co-founder of Polk Audio and Definitive Technology, was proudly sitting to the side as his Invisa HTR 7000 speakers and a single Super Sub XXL were delivering a superb Atmos driven demo, all (save for the sub) singing from the ceiling above. Following a brief Q&A, Gross switched to a two-channel demonstration of GoldenEar’s flagship Triton One and the room immediately became engulfed with luscious sound. My “moment” came as Pink Floyd’s The Wall washed over my ears with a textured sonic attack that dropped my jaw to the floor. I’d never heard the song’s bass-line delivered with such accuracy and punch, imaging was off the charts, and vocal definition was purely electric.

I’d heard GoldenEar’s seductive sound before, but that demo made me want to hear it again, badly. This time, however, I wanted to hear it on my home turf.

Click Here To Read The Full Speaker Review

See less See more
#2 ·
Great review, sir! GoldenEar seems to be pretty universally liked among reviewers. I will be replacing my home theater system when we (eventually) figure out our housing arrangements, and GoldenEar is definitely on the audition list (probably the Triton 5 for me though) along with a handful of others.

#10 ·
I intend to replace everything I own, going from 5.1 to 7.1.4 Atmos and from 50" RPTV to front projection and UHD capability. I've been running my current system for over 8 years, and there are a couple of aspects of the speaker system that make it prohibitively expensive to expand to more channels. Plus I'd like to try something else. Looking forward to it, but waiting until we move before I do it. Finding the right house has proved to be a challenge for quite some time now unfortunately.

#4 ·
I'll likely be selling my ultra surround system to my dad once he gets into a new home and does his own theater.

Golden ear is on my list. I really like the Triton Two+ but I'm more of a passive speaker user so will likely end up with the Triton Fives

#5 ·
I would imagine that the flavor of GoldenEar's sound is still present up and down the chain of Triton Towers - although I've never heard the 5's myself. Obviously bass characteristics will change if using / not using active drivers within the speakers... As you guys move closer to demo, remember this thread and come back and let us know your impressions! Will be very curious to read them...

The great news is that GE gives you a solid product series to target. Always good to have one known entity in your back pocket ;-)

#6 ·
Thanks Todd.

How interesting it would be for that set of speakers to be reviewed by sound recording engineer working on "Dark side of the Moon" recording. What he would say about sound quality and sound stage coming out of GoldenEar speakers?

Kind regards
Zoran

#9 ·
Great review Todd. I have not heard the Triton 2+ but I do own the Triton Ones. I suspect they are very similar. I have owned the Ones for a year & really like them. Best speakers I have owned to date. One day I would like to have a dedicated 2 channel listening room to appreciate them even more.

#12 ·
Hey I have just bought a pair of Triton two+ and I think the sound is very thin and without body. Even Noah Jones sounds bad.
My old speakers is just so much better.

I dont understand it, I have good equipment. Marantz AV8805 and Emotiva XPA-5 gen2. Music is streaming from TIDAL.

My room is OK with carpet, curtains and some absorbers.

Does the speakers needs intensiv break in? the manual says 40-60 hours, but I am having a hard time believing that the sound can ever changes so much that I will like them (-:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.