Front Height Placements - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cichlids

post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-17, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Front Height Placements

Just curious and since I do not know thought I would ask. Hope this makes some sense, as much as I would like to get a new AVR w/atmos is not going to happen anytime soon. My current AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2010 this will handle a 9.2 with Front and Rear ( as Yamaha calls it Presence ) Height speakers. I was reading or daydreaming about Atmos and it says the best place to mount atmos speakers are in the ceiling or on top of the mains and surrounds. I was wondering based on what I read about mounting front height speakers is as high as you can on the front wall in the corners at 45 deg.'s. My line of thinking using an atmos ready speaker placed on the mains facing up would reflect off of the ceiling correct? I know this in no way will compensate for not having atmos but using the atmos speakers on top of the mains firing towards the ceiling work? This could be completely pointless and that is fine as well. As it stands my system is right on the verge of being done so either way I am good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-12-17, 02:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System
Re: Front Height Placements

In a nutshell: (ceiling-mounted ATMOS = good) ; (any other mounted ATMOS = bad), as you've no doubt already found out. Not having the links handy and heading out the door, I can only say that other companies make ATMOS speakers intended to sit on top of mains. The effect is better than no ATMOS at all, but I've heard it pales by comparison. A true ATMOS configuration has specific speaker-to-listener distances and angles just like regular multichannel. But if you already have the set-top hardware, set 'em up and let 'em rip! You won't get bona-fide ATMOS from your AVR, but you should experience more ambience from the height channels. Whether or not that gives you a genuine improvement is partially up to your perception, and partially up to how well your AVR's room-correction software deals with the extraneous reflections introduced by them.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-17, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Okay we both agree my AVR Yamaha RX-A2010 is not Atmos ready. It will accept front and rear height speakers. Having read the speaker placements on Atmos even though I will not get get Atmos with current set up but using the Atmos concept using upward firing speakers on my mains could improve the sound similar to mounting front height speakers as per the owners manual and the info that can be found elsewhere. Not looking for perfection just some improvement if this makes sense?
Thanks

post #4 of 9 Old 01-12-17, 03:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

I compromised, initially, being in the same boat as you I had an AVR that did front height or wide. But fully planning to run an Atmos or DTS.X AVR in the near future. I read some reviews of front highs being ran for atmos with great results. And DTS.X not needing specific placement I went ahead and mount my speakers in the front high position near the ceiling (I couldnt do in ceiling due to noise transfer and plumbing). I have since reviewed the system after the AVR upgrade, and it sounds amazing (to me).

-Colton
ED Cinema 6 cabinet package for sale

Media room

Dayton 15" rss390hf build v.2 (behind the wall)

post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-17, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Drifte wrote: View Post
I compromised, initially, being in the same boat as you I had an AVR that did front height or wide. But fully planning to run an Atmos or DTS.X AVR in the near future. I read some reviews of front highs being ran for atmos with great results. And DTS.X not needing specific placement I went ahead and mount my speakers in the front high position near the ceiling (I couldnt do in ceiling due to noise transfer and plumbing). I have since reviewed the system after the AVR upgrade, and it sounds amazing (to me).
Alright someone else besides me thinking the same way!! I would not mind wiring the speakers in the ceiling or on the ceiling if I had no knee issues. This leaves the upward firing its much easier for me to place these on my mains ( if I like the effect?? ) and surrounds and crawl under the house and run the wire. Without going nuts in price what would be a decent choice for these?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-13-17, 12:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

Really wish I could've offered more in my previous post. I just noticed nobody had responded so I bumped it. Glad you found a kindred spirit!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-17, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

To be honest was really not expecting any since what I am asking only applies to Atmos. I just thought by using the same upward firing speaker on top of the mains would give the same effect as properly mounting front height speakers.Still undecided and question whether the results are worth the trouble?
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-17, 01:24 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

My hunch is that any added benefit would be negligible. However your thoughts are not crazy since the concept is similar enough, but I think they're different enough not to work. Fwiw, I've read that people get a better effect using wides vs heights. Ymmv of course, but since it seems nobody is available to hang heights, I might try wides first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-17, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Like I said not real comfortable spending money if it does not have any positive effect. Like you wrote it seems the placement concept would be somewhat the same. I have also read on various other threads concerning front heights its almost 50/50 maybe even less in favor. All I was trying to see if I was missing something that would be beneficial to my system. All ready discovered I get better sound with a 7 ch. and my subs then 9ch.
muzz likes this.