Speaker stacking - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-17, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rich

Speaker stacking

Hi guys,

I have the polk rt-3000p speakers for LCR and surrounds the SB channels are f/X1000. I'm thinking about buying another pair (just the bookshelf tops) and stacking my mains. My plan is to not hookup the tweeter on one speaker so only one tweeter plays thus adding 2 more midrange speakers to my mains. I would stack them so the midrange speakers are directly on top of the working tweeter, so the tweeter would be dead center of 4 midrange's. My goal is to accomplish a thicker/fuller sound. I am not worried about my amp as I am using the sunfire cinema grand 400x5 amp which can handle extremely low ohm loads and it's only going to be running the bookshelfs as the bottoms are powered. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of doing this please.

Marantz 8801--sunfire cinema grand signature
Sony es45, 148" DIY screen
svs cs ultras (4)-- svs PB ultra 13.5 (2)-- sms-1 (2),
paradigm s8--- paradigm s-45 --paradigm s1 (4ea)--paradigm prestige 5b
Samsung BD--room treatments--monster power cond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-17, 02:29 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Re: Speaker stacking

At least you have tried to think it through. But, alas, experience shows that this is rarely a successful approach.

Thicker and fuller sound implies mostly improvement in the upper LF range, say 80 to 160 Hz or so, which will NOT be improved by your approach, or at least not without side effects. Those side effects would probably include interference in the lower-mids - interference that varies with the tiniest change in listening position and is hard to put one's finger on, elusive, but bugs you like crazy about half the time then not at at all the other half of the time. Driver integration is the key, and in your case it is not likely to be very good. It usually does not happen as a happy accident.

Getting all the drivers to work together and behave in a speaker design is the secret in the sauce that can make all the difference in its listening pleasure.

If you just want to be able to blast louder, go for it. If you are looking for any improvement in sound quality beyond that, you will probably be disappointed.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-12-17, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rich

Is there someone that makes a multiple driver LCR? Maybe something with like 4 ea 6.5" drivers.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-12-17, 05:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

There are many speaker manufacturers who use a design like that but have you simply tried moving your current speakers out away from the walls a little? That can dramatically open up the sound of a speaker.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 11 Old 02-13-17, 06:32 AM
Elite Shackster

Lou

My System

You can also try manual EQ. A slight boost of 1-2dB in the 80-160Hz range Wayne suggested might help. If it doesn't, try around 200-400Hz. You want a broad peak here (like a tone control), so use a low-Q filter. My AVR lets me sweep a center frequency up and down, so I can hear the effect while source material is playing.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-13-17, 08:33 AM
HTS Moderator

AJ

My System

You could have poor integration between your mains and subs creating a hole and "thinness". Or.....
So more speakers, EQ etc may not help, or help but create other problems.
Solutions are tough when causes are unknown.
The first thing to establish is the source of the problem.

cheers

AJ

post #7 of 11 Old 02-13-17, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rich

Don't stack speakers, got it. Lol
Right now my mains are just outside my screen aproxamatly 16-20" from the side walls and 3' or so from the back wall, my plan is to move the mains in Aprox 16-24" more and place them just inside the corners of the screen (screen in acousticly transparent ) and re-run audyssey. I had originally thought that I had enough clearance from the side walls and was trying to achieve better separation. My room is treated as well.

I think one of the things I'm trying to change possibly is trying to get "a more forward sound". The sound seems deep like it's coming from the back of the box (if that makes sense) that being said my polks are wayyyyy better than my klipsch RF-7's ever were. After I treated my room the RF-7's had to go and ever since then I've been scared to try a different speaker because the I don't hate the polks "I really LIKE them", LIKE being the key word not LOVE, these polks were really expensive and well built back in the day so I wonder if I'm just chasing my tail............

post #8 of 11 Old 02-13-17, 09:50 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ya, the Polks you have are really nice speakers. Do you have any toe-in on those speakers? How about room treatment?

What does Audessey have set for your mains crossovers?

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #9 of 11 Old 02-13-17, 11:11 AM
Shackster

Don

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
You can also try manual EQ. A slight boost of 1-2dB in the 80-160Hz range Wayne suggested might help. If it doesn't, try around 200-400Hz. You want a broad peak here (like a tone control), so use a low-Q filter. My AVR lets me sweep a center frequency up and down, so I can hear the effect while source material is playing.
This advice worked wonders. Boosting the frequency from 80 to 200hz brought out a fullness/richness to the sound that was much improved. Since the vocals were boosted it improved the imaging as well. Highly recommended.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-13-17, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
rich

Yes, my room is fully treated. I think I'm going to try and move those speakers tonight and re-run audyssey to see what happens.