Monoprice Air Motion Cinema Series Speaker Review Discussion Thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

5Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 03-01-17, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Monoprice Air Motion Cinema Series Speaker Review Discussion Thread

Monoprice has spent the last decade-plus cementing itself as the web’s ultimate budget destination for cables and audio parts. The phrase “bang for your buck” easily applies to the company’s traditional offerings, which have a reputation of being solid performers. And while good quality is certainly associated with Monoprice, notions of “high-end” or “audiophile-grade” typically don’t apply.

That, friendly reader, is about to change.

Last Fall, Monoprice invaded CEDIA 2017 with a new audio lineup (dubbed Monolith) that will forever alter how enthusiasts view the company. Monolith products are specifically designed to offer a “premium sound experience,” directly challenging competition costing two- to three-times as much. As cliché as that kind of statement reads, in this case it actually rings rather true. Loaded with robust features, high-end touches, and impressive build quality, Monoprice has rolled out several different multi-channel and headphone amps, Planar magnetic headphones, and speakers under the Monolith umbrella.

My first encounter with Monolith badged gear happened on CEDIA’s show floor, where I was lucky enough to spend some time with David LaVine (Product Manager – Pro Audio, Monoprice) looking over various models within the line. I walked away from the session impressed and fairly convinced that companies within the ID space were about to get a jolt; across the board, Monolith products are primed to disrupt the status quo. I also left knowing that a private test drive of the company’s new Monolith Air Motion Cinema speakers was a necessity. They simply looked and sounded too good to pass up.

Jon Liu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-01-17, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Monoprice Air Motion Cinema Series Speaker Review Discussion Thread

Here's a collection of images (some used in the review article, some not)

Jon Liu likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-01-17, 06:34 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Glad to hear those on a strict budget have another option. Monoprice has always been a solid company, so with them now offering value products the consumer has more choices.
Todd Anderson likes this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #4 of 13 Old 03-01-17, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Glad to hear those on a strict budget have another option. Monoprice has always been a solid company, so with them now offering value products the consumer has more choices.
These speakers are super impressive... refined sound. I think Monoprice will sell quite a few of these.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-01-17, 10:29 PM
Shackster

Don

Great review! I've been looking forward to hearing what you thought. Thank you for the work involved.

I told my son about the review you had coming out and is in the market for this exact item. We both began to research both the Monoprice AND the Emotiva B1 and C1 center channel. I was amazed how VERY similar the two products are.

The price point on the Emotiva was the tipping point for him. $299 for the pair and $249 on the center put the total at $550 vs. $700 for Monoprice. He went ahead and ordered the Emotivas.

He has had them up and running for a week or so. Odds are I'll never know which of the two, Monoprice or Emotiva, speakers sounds better. However, I will have to say these Emotivas are impressive little speakers also and should be put on the shopping list. Good, rich mid-range with good bass. We are using a sub for the bottom end and fills it out with a much bigger sound than expected. I am also a believer in this Airmotiv folded ribbon tweeter. Super clean/clear and excellent, pin point imaging. I've really enjoyed listening to them so far.

The Emotivas don't have the Oak finish but the finish is a nice, good quality flat black and the fronts have an angular modern design instead of 'flat'. It's a nice looking speaker. Black Kevlar drivers have a nice quality look also.

Comparing apples to apples these two companies are very, very similar. If the pricing was identical the decision would be more difficult... but it wasn't.

Emotiva C1...

post #6 of 13 Old 03-02-17, 12:33 PM
Shackster

If these speakers are easily driven, why not drive them directly from the Yamaha AVR? Why use a separate amplifier?
Todd Anderson likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-02-17, 01:12 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

These would be great for my bedroom system. Little steep for my wife's blood however. Really like the cab shape.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-02-17, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
dschlic1 wrote: View Post
If these speakers are easily driven, why not drive them directly from the Yamaha AVR? Why use a separate amplifier?
It's the way my system was rigged... good point, though. I probably should have put them through their paces (separately). Honestly, though... I'd be willing to bet that the AVR wouldn't have had any issues.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-02-17, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
These would be great for my bedroom system. Little steep for my wife's blood however. Really like the cab shape.
They look spectacular in person... kudos to Monoprice on design.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-02-17, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Gdaddy wrote: View Post
Great review! I've been looking forward to hearing what you thought. Thank you for the work involved.

I told my son about the review you had coming out and is in the market for this exact item. We both began to research both the Monoprice AND the Emotiva B1 and C1 center channel. I was amazed how VERY similar the two products are.

The price point on the Emotiva was the tipping point for him. $299 for the pair and $249 on the center put the total at $550 vs. $700 for Monoprice. He went ahead and ordered the Emotivas.

He has had them up and running for a week or so. Odds are I'll never know which of the two, Monoprice or Emotiva, speakers sounds better. However, I will have to say these Emotivas are impressive little speakers also and should be put on the shopping list. Good, rich mid-range with good bass. We are using a sub for the bottom end and fills it out with a much bigger sound than expected. I am also a believer in this Airmotiv folded ribbon tweeter. Super clean/clear and excellent, pin point imaging. I've really enjoyed listening to them so far.

The Emotivas don't have the Oak finish but the finish is a nice, good quality flat black and the fronts have an angular modern design instead of 'flat'. It's a nice looking speaker. Black Kevlar drivers have a nice quality look also.

Comparing apples to apples these two companies are very, very similar. If the pricing was identical the decision would be more difficult... but it wasn't.

Emotiva C1...

Thanks for the comments, Gdaddy. Great points about price... I'm trying to get some Emotivas for review. Will be interested to see how the speakers compare. Obviously, the ARX bookshelf speakers would also be competition.