Best pair of speakers under $1000? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 20 Old 04-21-17, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
SGA

Best pair of speakers under $1000?

I'm looking to change my home theater's speakers and willl start with front 3. Any opinions on best pair (for L & R) of speakers available (tower or bookshelf - doesn't matter) for no more than $1,000 plus tax? Application is 80% movies, 20% music in 15ft x 16ft theater. These will always be used with subwoofers (dual DIY sealed Dayton UltiMax 15's) so performance in a strictly 2.0 channel setup is a non-factor. Also, I want something that has a center channel in the same product family. SVS Ultra bookshelves and Elac Uni-fi towers seem to be at top of most reviewers' lists, for what that's worth.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-21-17, 11:01 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Re: Best pair of speakers under $1000?

If you built your own subs , is there any reason you arent building your LCR's ?

Just curious - I just built this LCR set for about 1500 - but that is also a CC - so your L/R would be about 1K

Componants

DAYTON PT2C-8 tweeters
MOREL CAW 938 woofers
Dayton xover @2500

I also have a dual Ultimax 15 subs

Im running LCR + surrounds with XPA7
Attached Thumbnails
Best pair of speakers under 00?-img_1569.jpg  

Best pair of speakers under 00?-img_1570.jpg  

Best pair of speakers under 00?-img_1572.jpg  

post #3 of 20 Old 04-22-17, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
SGA

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
If you built your own subs , is there any reason you arent building your LCR's ?

Just curious - I just built this LCR set for about 1500 - but that is also a CC - so your L/R would be about 1K

Componants

DAYTON PT2C-8 tweeters
MOREL CAW 938 woofers
Dayton xover @2500

I also have a dual Ultimax 15 subs

Im running LCR + surrounds with XPA7
I'm considering it, but don't have much spare time to invest in yet another project. Especially one requiring lots of research into drivers, WinISD calcs, etc. Were these from a kit or a recipe? Or did you design the cabinets and select/match components yourself?

They look great! How do they sound?

post #4 of 20 Old 04-22-17, 12:03 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

If you want to look at some bookshelf speakers, check out the Chane A Series. For a killer deal, there's also the Dana's. Those are being practically given away.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 20 Old 04-23-17, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
SGA

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
If you want to look at some bookshelf speakers, check out the Chane A Series. For a killer deal, there's also the Dana's. Those are being practically given away.
Intrigued. Are Chane's just a very good bang for the buck or do they offer high performance? How do these stack up overall compared to $1,000/pair speakers like SVS Ultra bookshelves, ELAC Uni-fi towers, Fluance Signature, etc.?
post #6 of 20 Old 04-23-17, 01:10 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

The Dana's are a legacy line of speakers, and for that price I'm not sure you could top them. The A series will stack up very well to the ones you mention, and depending upon your tastes may prove to be even more to your liking. They excel at detail and refinement, making pretty much everything sound good. A few years back I reviewed the model before those, the Arx. Click this link if you want one mans opinion of the A series predecessor.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 20 Old 04-23-17, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
SGA

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
The Dana's are a legacy line of speakers, and for that price I'm not sure you could top them. The A series will stack up very well to the ones you mention, and depending upon your tastes may prove to be even more to your liking. They excel at detail and refinement, making pretty much everything sound good. A few years back I reviewed the model before those, the Arx. Click this link if you want one mans opinion of the A series predecessor.
Thanks.

I'm ultimately replacing my front 3 though $1,000 budget is just for LR only. Thoughts on using A2.4's for LCR vs. A1.4's for LR and A2.4 for C?
post #8 of 20 Old 04-28-17, 11:11 AM
Shackster

If you are comfortable gluing and finishing flatpacks, the DIYSoundGroup stuff is very popular.

I would personally be interested in the following if I hadnt already upgraded speakers.
The Elusive 1099
The HTM-10 or 12
The Titan Kits are very new and have a lot of buzz around them on AVS.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-28-17, 11:24 AM

Quote:
sga2 wrote: View Post
Thanks.

I'm ultimately replacing my front 3 though $1,000 budget is just for LR only. Thoughts on using A2.4's for LCR vs. A1.4's for LR and A2.4 for C?
I am planning on using the A2.4's for LCR. I believe this is the recommended setup based on the help i've received on some other forums.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-09-17, 10:27 AM
Shackster

I love bass, so I did the KEF Q900 for my towers (~600 per speaker though). The Studiomonitor 65s are pretty fantastic too. Found some good recommendations for both:

https://www.householdaudio.com/best-...ower-speakers/
https://www.householdaudio.com/best-bookshelf-speakers/