Hsu Research CCB-8 Review Discussion Thread - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 16 Old 09-25-18, 11:48 PM
Shackster

Re: Hsu Research CCB-8 Review Discussion Thread

I decided to put some decent speakers across the front in the Games Room Setup. I phoned HSU today and ordered a 3.0 CCB-8 package to replace my aged front speakers. They are having their "Fall Sale" so I negotiated. (I told the Misses after the fact.)

It's a CCB-8 satin black speaker package. He said he'd include a test CD with the speakers. That's not a problem."

I saved a whopping $21 (US no less!) Whoo Hoo! (What a Sale!)

I also bought a Denon AVR-X4400H a while back, and a second Sub so now I have a 7.2.4 setup but only enough amplifier for a 7.2.2 or 5.2.4. Oh, I almost forgot, my BluRay Player needed to be replaced. I found out most Atmos Blu-Rays are 4K (very few regular Blu-Rays do Atmos or DTS-X). Besides, my old Blu-Ray Player didn't like to output Bitstream via HDMI to the Denon for those few standard BluRays that had Atmos. So it got retired. Now the only "old" thing is my 55 Samsung 3D TV that only does 1080P.

The CCB-8s ship tomorrow.

It never ends...

Regards,

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-26-18, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Gotta love a person whose screen name is Jim...

I suspect you'll enjoy the CCB-8's. Be sure to spend the requisite time aiming them as the results will be much better when you get that part right. If Dr. Hsu sends you the same disk he sent me there is some good demo material on it. The best stuff is what your ears are familiar with though.

Be sure to come back and post your impressions. Feedback from actual owners is very beneficial to others considering them.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #13 of 16 Old 10-29-18, 01:54 AM
Shackster

Thanks for the post & encouraging thoughts Jim.

I've had the CCB-8s temporarily setup for a couple weeks. The L&R speakers are too low as I haven't gotten around to getting 36 inch high Stands for them. So far they are sitting on top of my old 25 inch high Altec Santanas. But I did spend a Saturday modifying my TV stand so I could slip the CCB-8 Center into position.

I really haven't gotten into tweaking them as yet, as work and family obligations keep getting in the way, but based on my limited testing, I'm going to keep them. The impact the Center makes alone is worth that. Mostly I've been breaking them in a Home Theater role with some BluRay concert disks, and Roger Waters, The Wall in Atmos. I also watch TV with them on but a pretty low volumes. The manual says: For optimum bass performance, use a system with bass management and crossover the CCB-8s to a subwoofer at 80 Hz. So after Audyssey did it's thing, I reset the Denon suggestion of 60 to 80 Hz. I've left both rear ports open as HSU recommends (somewhere - I forget where - but probably on their website or Forum) for the initial setup.

HSU forgot to send me the CD but I did download the tracks (in Flac) from a link they supplied. Some dig real low and are more about their subwoofers that CCB-8s. They are also going to send my the wave file link.

I'll post some more when I get further down the road and have some spare time.

Regards,

Jim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #14 of 16 Old 10-29-18, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Glad to hear they're working out for you. As time goes on and you start hearing more and more familiar material you'll likely come to realize just how much detail they have.

-Jim

post #15 of 16 Old 11-25-18, 10:37 AM
Shackster

Hi again,

I am enjoying these CCB-8s speakers, and after i decided to keep them I went looking for stands for the L&R speakers, so I could officially retire my Altec Santanas.

Locally I couldn't find any suitable 36 inch high stands for them, so off to the web I went. I found a set, and thought (erroneously it turns out) that they'd have a "special" Black Friday promo price. So after waiting for weeks I bought them anyway last Friday from a US based vendor. They'll take a while to get here as the estimated delivery is Tue, Nov 27 - Tue, Dec 04.

HSU did send me a link to the Wave Files for their test CD. I have some vacation time to burn up before year end. I'll add mucking about with this to an ever growing long list after the "Honey Do" list is complete. Wish me luck!

Regards,

Jim
post #16 of 16 Old 11-25-18, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Congrats, I'm glad to hear they worked out for you. Not surprised though...

-Jim