Comb Filtering Confusion - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 32 Old 10-12-06, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jack N

Re: Comb Filtering Confusion

Ok guys. Donít take this the wrong way Ė Iím not arguing with you, Iím just trying to understand something here. My towers are quite narrow. From the centerline of one speaker to the centerline of the next speaker is approximately 8Ē. Iíve seen speakers that have numerous drivers, all the same size, all in a single column in the enclosure, where the bottom driver might be as much as 18Ē or more away from the driver on top. Are you saying that a single speaker of that configuration would be better than 2 narrow towers side by side, and if so, why ? I'm sure some of the drivers are playing different frequencies, but we're still talking a sizeable spacing of like drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 10-16-06, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jack N

Where did everyone go?
post #13 of 32 Old 10-17-06, 12:02 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

Quote:
Dain Bramaged wrote: View Post
Iíve seen speakers that have numerous drivers, all the same size, all in a single column in the enclosure, where the bottom driver might be as much as 18Ē or more away from the driver on top. Are you saying that a single speaker of that configuration would be better than 2 narrow towers side by side, and if so, why?
A vertical driver configuration is designed to integrate multiple drivers and works best for a certain listening height. Listeners in various places will be seated at similar heights and there is no problem.

A horizontal driver configuration works fine for the center listening position, but as you move to the side you get comb filtering effects. For example, center channel speakers with horizontal configurations can be problematic, and a center channel with the tweeter over the midrange is often recommended. This yields a more uniform horizontal distribution, and sounds clearer from the sides.

We are the Shack. Existence as you know it is over.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

post #14 of 32 Old 10-17-06, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jack N

I think I understand where youíre coming from as far as the dispersion pattern is concerned. However, with multiple drivers arenít you still going to have comb filtering ? The sound waves are still going to overlap each other regardless of driver orientation, right ? Or are you saying that itís just not as noticeable in a vertical array ?
post #15 of 32 Old 10-18-06, 07:33 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Naut

A loudspeaker should be designed physically and electronically to integrate the drivers smoothly. Sometimes a lot of effort goes into "time aligning" the output from the multiple drivers.

We are the Shack. Existence as you know it is over.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
post #16 of 32 Old 11-26-06, 09:43 AM
Shackster
saabman

A single integrated speaker (multiple drivers) has the crossovers custom designed for the driver location/geometry to minimize many undesirable effects, including baffle step response.

Your two (2) speakers side by side playing the same signal has not been crossover optimized for this specific geometry, in fact, it probably compromizes some of the original response curve, because the baffle design is radically changed from the original design.

Everybody has their own preferences about what they like, so what you like is all that really counts.

In that small room of yours, you might have been listening to what we call the near-field speaker response. In a much larger room it will be be much different for a far-field speaker response.

Some of us may even be hamstrung by what we know (ignorance is sometimes bliss).
post #17 of 32 Old 11-26-06, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jack N

Thanks for the terminology/clarification. I would have to agree with you on the near-field effect, especially after learning more about accoustics from the posters above.

"ignorance is sometimes bliss" Man do I hear you loud and clear on that one !
post #18 of 32 Old 11-27-06, 03:39 AM
drf
drf

And HomeTheatreShack takes first prize for the best well informed and knowledgable members.

I have seen combfiltering arise on other forums and the responses have been, well to be honest, terrible.
I have seen people who think it only applies to single speaker enclosures, that it is only an accostical phenominum and that it has nothing to do with reflections or delay . But here it it has been encapsulated and explained clearly and also with some rather indepth examples of how it can be experienced/dealtwith in situ'. I am so glad I found this forum.

To add to the topic heres a link to an article by Rod Elliot, concerning phase/time delay and how it relates to comb filtering. If you get a chance to read other articles on his site I highly recommend it as they are both educational and eye openers.

http://sound.westhost.com/ptd.htm
post #19 of 32 Old 11-27-06, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jack N

Thanks for the link. It gets a little too far into the electrical side for my abilities (still learning), but I found some of it iteresting. I've added the website to my list of audio websites and will look at the other articles as I get time. Thanks again.
post #20 of 32 Old 11-27-06, 10:49 AM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
Is the big change in room size and layout going to act as a detriment ?
So when will you hook all this back up and experience how it sounds in the big room?

brucek