Oh No, My 2 year old did it again! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 45 Old 08-06-09, 09:37 AM
Marty

Re: Oh No, My 2 year old did it again!

Tony's speaker trauma reminds me of the time when a customer called me up at Tweeter and said he shot his speaker. He was cleaning his gun not realizing it was still loaded and ended up blowing a 2 inch hole in his Martin Logan ReQuest stat panel. I was glad no one was injured but it made for an interesting call to Gary Powers at ML. I joked that his next speakers need to use Kevlar drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 08-06-09, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
mjb1023 wrote: View Post
I joked that his next speakers need to use Kevlar drivers.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #23 of 45 Old 08-06-09, 12:27 PM
Banned!
andy summers

LOL I just saw the thread title and read it miles ahead betting it something to do with pushed in dust cups and I was spot on!

Okay you’ll first need a bog role and a lot of sucking on the speaker! Just don’t let the wife catch you doing it with the speaker otherwise she’ll get it in her head that your into speakers more.

Don’t use a vacuum cleaner unless you can control the level of sucking or have steady hand where you hold it at an angle and the sucking grabs onto the dust cap and snaps it back into shape and place.

I’d use Bog role it’s a lot safer!

LOL a pen! LOL I guess she didn’t like the music or you refused to play teletubbies DVD for her.

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
LOL that would work but some toddlers today are becoming more advanced in speaker terrorism.

It’s like my cat and cats like children have this curiosity where they like to explore, prod things push them in to see if they can withstand the hush punishment of fingers or even claws take your pick?

My cat I don’t let it roam around the living room anymore because of cables and such and a simple shake of the (tape measure) the cat runs out of the room.

Last edited by Andysu; 08-06-09 at 12:35 PM.

post #24 of 45 Old 08-06-09, 01:03 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
need to use Kevlar drivers
My rear surrounds were quite exposed to my grandsons curiosity, so I added metal screen which can't be seen when the grills are in place, but if you poke your finger at them, it protects....

Oh No, My 2 year old did it again!-rear-speaker-screen.jpg

brucek
post #25 of 45 Old 08-06-09, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Hmmm, Thats not a bad idea Bruce. My question is would that not effect the sound in some way particularly the tweeter?

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #26 of 45 Old 08-06-09, 01:44 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
My question is would that not effect the sound in some way particularly the tweeter?
The tweeter already had the integral guard on it. I only added the screen on the 3 main drivers. I put rubber washers underneath each screw and nylon washers on the outside to avoid the screen from contacting any surface that might cause it to vibrate.

If it affects the sound I haven't noticed. Either way, it's better than having to get out my vacuum....

brucek
post #27 of 45 Old 08-06-09, 04:18 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
brucek wrote: View Post
My rear surrounds were quite exposed to my grandsons curiosity, so I added metal screen which can't be seen when the grills are in place, but if you poke your finger at them, it protects....

Attachment 15283

brucek
The problem with that is it looks like the grills may be in contact with the rubber surrounds or during moments of high bass my paradigms have momentarily extended beyond or up to where your screens are located. It might be better just to leave the cloth cover on the front, if he cant see it, he won't be tempted to touch it.

Or just put them on a pedistool/ wall shelf 3 feet off the ground.
post #28 of 45 Old 08-06-09, 04:48 PM
Elite Shackster
brucek

Quote:
The problem with that is it looks like the grills may be in contact with the rubber surrounds or during moments of high bass my paradigms have momentarily extended beyond or up to where your screens are located.
Nope.....

Quote:
It might be better just to leave the cloth cover on the front,
I do leave the cloth cover on. It goes over top and doesn't interfere with the metal screen. The screen is about 2 or 3 mm back of the cloth.

Quote:
if he cant see it, he won't be tempted to touch it.
hehe, I'm guessing you don't have kids......

brucek
post #29 of 45 Old 09-16-09, 09:56 AM
Senior Shackster
monkeyboy

Tony, don't feel to bad. My two year old recently decided to tune up my Polk rti 6's. After having thought I trained him not to touch daddy's speakers o took the grill covers off. I came home andy wife had this very worried look on her face. What happened? I said. She pointed to my speakers and he had punched a screw driver through not one, not two, but three of the woofers. He really had an axe to grind with one of them as he ripped the out of it. All I could do was drop to my knees and keep mumbling no, no, no!

Ordered new woofers the other day. I'm going to wait until he is old enough and ground his .
Posted via Mobile Device
post #30 of 45 Old 09-16-09, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
bbieger wrote: View Post
All I could do was drop to my knees and keep mumbling no, no, no!
Oh my, I totally feel for you.

Home theater:

Living room system: