Personal Speaker Evolution Thread - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 108 Old 02-19-10, 10:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Konky

Re: Personal Speaker Evolution Thread

Believe me, I feel your pain...if you look under my profile, while not quite as painful as yours, it still as yours does...NOT qualify for energy star status...but my oh my does it sound good...we are both fans of Parasound!
Cheers...

I get up...I get the paper...I read the obituaries...if I don't see my name; I go ahead and have breakfast! George Burns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 108 Old 02-28-10, 07:18 AM
Shackster

Greg

1967 - AR4x
1972 - The Advent Loudspeaker (still in use everyday in my vintage system)
1989 - Phase Technology 730es towers
1994 - Infinity Overture 3s (still in use in living room stereo)
2000 - Infinity Interlude IL60 towers (current)

Also EPI 100s for the computer, Infinity Alpha 20s in the bedroom, Yamaha bookshelfs in the kitchen, DefTech PF1500 in the HT. It's always been about the music. And the available money.

Home Theater: Onkyo TX-SR702 AVR, Infinity IL-60s & IL-36C, DefTech PF1500 sub, CSW The Surround 5.1 x 2, Draper Cineperm 92", LG PF1500, Behringer BFD, Sony BDP-S570, Pioneer Elite DV-49AV Universal player, Dish 622.

Stereo:Denon PMA-630 integrated amp, Technics SL-1300 turntable, Shure M97xE cartridge, Toshiba SD-4960 universal player, Infinity Overture 3 speakers.

Last edited by goatfarm; 03-12-10 at 06:56 PM.
post #23 of 108 Old 03-01-10, 10:36 AM
Spud

I'm only 23 so a lot of the beginning stuff is from my poor teenage years, and I also have Asperger's so a ton of what I've done is incredibly ghetto-rigged from scratch without much in the manner of forethought, but hey I'll shoot

-Creative 2.1 computer system, $40 at BB (actually a really good price for the quality IMO)
-Cambridge Soundworks 15" sub (blew my mind when I got it, kinda "meh" in hindsight )
-Built at least 4-5 bass cabinets for my brother's band, everything from 4x10 stacks up to a 2x18 monster that had to be disassembled to move
-Madison 18" 1,000w folded horn subwoofer, which despite still being some of the loudest bass I've ever heard, I had "matched" with the two little speakers from the Creative system haha
-Sold the massive Madison sub and went through a million various yardsale towers and bookshelves
-Klipsch Synergy Quintets with a Sub-10, got at BB for $900 total I think.. Had them for two years.
-Some good-condition (still junk..) Bose 301s for $50 to help a friend who needed money

-Went on eBay looking for two more Synergy speakers for 7.1 surround just after getting my Christmas bonus... Ended up getting, in this order:
-Onkyo Integra DTR 5.5
-Velodyne SPL1200
-Klipsch RF-5 fronts
-Klipsch RC-3II Center
-Klipsch RF-3 surrounds

Good sound is addictive haha. Ive been slowed down by moving and excessive Klipsch purchasing, but I will hopefully be adding DIY'd rotary sub to this list soon as well- I have most of what I need to put it together, now I need time.

Oh yeah, I also just took the stock speakers out of my TV and hooked up my remaining two Synergy speakers to the little wires that were there.. what a difference! I highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to put together a whole entertainment system for something as simple as just wanting better sound from cable TV. It's quick, it's easy, and the sound improvement is very noticeable

Last edited by Spuddy; 03-01-10 at 10:43 AM.

post #24 of 108 Old 03-13-10, 12:41 PM
james

I'll add mine to the mix. Bought my first set of speakers when I was about sixteen year old. Still buying speakers some 40 years later.

Lafayette 3-way (generally lousy sounding speakers)
Dynaco A-10 (best I could afford at the time)
Dynaco A-35 (an upgrade from the A-10's)
ESS AMT-10? (clear highs but not much else good about them)
Dahlquist DQ-10 (wonderful sounding speakers)
Large Advent (Mirror image tweeter mods)
DCM Macrophone (very nice small bookshelf speakers)
Mangepan SMGA (liked them a lot but tricky placement issues)
Wharfedale ? (very nice sounding but quite ugly bookshelf speakers)

Many other small incidental speakers over the years (Optimus, Infinity, Audio Pro) some of which I cannot remember whatever happened to them.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy new speakers again. Maybe another pair of Magnepans.
post #25 of 108 Old 03-13-10, 01:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Konky

Welcome James...You've had quite the assortment as have I...look back a little for my list. If you are seriously looking for an excellent pair of spekers I have a pair of Aerial 10Ts in black/black in flawless physical and sonic condition with Sound Anchor stands. Just gogle them if you're not familiar; they were Stereophile's 1996 speaker of the year. My pair is from 2000. If interested, send me back an e-mail and I will send pics and price. I will tell you this; you will not come close to the sound for the price...
Cheers..
Oh, and if you're not interested, tht's fine too and still WELCOME to The Shack!

I get up...I get the paper...I read the obituaries...if I don't see my name; I go ahead and have breakfast! George Burns.
post #26 of 108 Old 03-13-10, 08:09 PM
Senior Shackster

mike

No way to remember years or all model numbers but I will narrow it to starting with my first home theater in the early eighties

Radio Shack/Realistic Dolby Surround system (front floorstanders and bookshelf surrounds)
Bose 301/201 Dolby Surround system
JBL bookshelf Dolby Surround system
Bose AM 7 Pro Logic System
Klipsch floorstanders, center, bookshelf surrounds
Paradigm Titan/Atom and center
Definitive Technology 2004 bipolars, center, bipole surrounds
and currently;

theater room- Polk LS 90's, Polk CS350 center, and four Polk M3 surrounds
living room- four Polk R300's and a CS1 center
bedroom- Polk 6750 HT speaker system

for a grand total of 18 Polk speakers in the house

Subs;
Radio Shack 12" passive downfiring
Bose Acoustimass
A powered Yamaha
Definitive dual 12's in the bi-polars
Definitive powerfield 12
Dual RCA powered 12's
and currently;

Two Velodyne DPS 12's in the theater room
Velodyne VX 10 in the living room
Polk 8" in the bedroom from the 6750 system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #27 of 108 Old 03-23-10, 09:56 PM
Shackster
Jason

Neat idea for a thread!

My list is pretty short as of right now...

1997 - $300 KLH HTIB system
2001 - JBL Studio series 5.1 (White S36 fronts wall mounted, S-Center, N24 surrounds, PB12 sub)
2003 - JBL sub died, replaced with Velodyne CHT-12
2008 - Moved into a new house and upgraded everything... Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-290, ADP-190's
2009 - Couldn't resist a sale at Outlaw Audio, upgraded the Velodyne to an LFM-1 Plus

I don't know what's next... The sub is pretty much perfect for the room and I really like the Paradigm setup now that it's EQ'd. I might try to free up some space and go with some wall mounted Paradigms like the W5's or Studio Esprits. We'll see.
post #28 of 108 Old 05-06-10, 02:34 PM
Senior Shackster
goonstopher

2007 - Onkyo htib
2007 - Infinity beta 50's and bic america center
2008 - some kind of boston accoustic towers ha
2009 - paradigm studio 60's cc-570 - then switched to cc-690 and adp-590's
2009 - a single jtr triple 8 - became 3 jtr quintuple 8's and 2 jbl 8340a's
2010 (anticipated) - Salk Songtower RT's

subs

2007 - htib
2007 - psw10
2007 - hsu vtf3-nk3
2008 - pb13 Ultra
2009 - Epik Dynasty and 2 e.D. DIY sonotubes
2010 - JTR Captivator (anticipate adding second captivator OR switching to AE speakers p1512)
post #29 of 108 Old 05-06-10, 05:40 PM
Shackster
Syd

Oddball here:
I've only purchased 1 set of speakers - in the 80's ( Focal Eggs ).
Before that and since it was all manner of DIY enclosures ( sealed. reflex. passive radiator, bandpass, horns and motion feedback )

Syd
post #30 of 108 Old 05-06-10, 06:43 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Quote:
Syd26147 wrote: View Post
Oddball here:
I've only purchased 1 set of speakers - in the 80's ( Focal Eggs ).
Before that and since it was all manner of DIY enclosures ( sealed. reflex. passive radiator, bandpass, horns and motion feedback )

Syd
Same here!.I purchased my first set of HT speakers in the 90's (BA's and Parasound) and they're still going strong..Although lately I've been feeling like I'm overdue for an update!
Previous to that, I had also gone through all the varieties of DIY speakers..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.