Personal Speaker Evolution Thread - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 108 Old 05-24-10, 02:55 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Re: Personal Speaker Evolution Thread

In about 1990 is when it all started for me. I always jammed a set of my step fathers sonics hooked to an old pioneer stereo that he brought home from vietnam. After that everything was home built from the parts express catalog. I'd say i built 5 different sets and sold each set as i went, funny thing about it is that i was young and thought you could just build a box and throw in the drivers and call it good back then, to me none of them sounded bad but i sure would like to hear them now as i haven't built a set since '96 or so other then sub boxes for cars. Bet they sounded aweful compared to what i have now and moved on to which was paradigm monitor 3's with a 10'' paradigm powerd sub that i'm still using to this day.

My setup now is paradigm monitor 11's front & rear
paradigm cc390 center
ADP 590 side surrounds
and that old sub for now

I never have been able to pull myself away from paradigm and not sure why, allthough i've been tempted i just never have. I think when i put a system together for my wifes room i'll probly do something other then paradigm (i hope). It's almost like i'm addicted to them even though i know there is better out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 108 Old 05-25-10, 02:05 PM
Senior Shackster

Outlaw

My System

jheyau, my first piece of equipment was a Fisher KX-90 kit integrated amp and Benjamin Miracord TT to go with the AR4's. The Dynaco factory was three blocks from my house. I was going to college starting in 1970 working on my B.Sc. Electrical Engineering. I bought a lot of Dyna Kits and spent a lot of free time hanging out with their technical and engineering departments. I learned a lot from those guys. I stuck with Dyna gear until I bought my first high end preamp (ARC SP-3) in 1978.

ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300, Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon cartridges: Marantz CD63SE, Yamaha DVD-S1800,, MSB Link D2A, Emotiva XDA-2, Accuphase T101 tuner, TEAC V7010, Emotiva UMC-200: Front speakers: Acoustat Spectra 22 ESL's, DBX223sx, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2 12" Transmission Line Subs, Behringer DSP1124P, 2 Crown XLS-402 Rear speakers: Acoustat Model 1 ESL, Paradigm X-30, 2 Adcom GFA-545, Acoustat SPW-1 Woofer.
post #43 of 108 Old 06-10-10, 10:00 AM
Shackster
john

dwr, did you get your Abbey 12a yet? What color are they? I would like mine to be glossy dark blue if Earl doesn't charge extra on the option. I saw a pic of Patrick Bateman's Summas in this color in one of the forums and they look gorgeous! Earl mentioned that it would be much easier to paint the 12a's new cabinet material. I understand he is in China now. I myself is going there also and when I come back I'd try to set up a time to listen to Earl's system. It's going to be a 5 hour drive! When I told my friend about Dr. Geddes, he wants to go too, if he likes the sound of the Summas, he will order them but I can only afford the Abbeys. My room is not big enough for the Summas even if I do have the dough for them (8'x15'x22' with a big opening on the back connecting to the kitchen area of about the same size); he on the other hand has the dough and a huge purpose-built sound room (13'x20'x30')! Please keep us updated on your new Abbeys; again congratulations!

post #44 of 108 Old 06-10-10, 11:54 AM
dwr
Senior Shackster

No I have not got the speakers yet, I will be asking for a progress update from Earl on Monday so I will let you know. Just be prepared to wait if you order the speakers and I'm sure you will after hearing them. It has been exactly 8 weeks now since my order went in so I am HOPING they will be done in the next week or so. Mine will be the satin black finish. And I just had correspondence with Earl as to the cost and where to purchase the material he uses on the cabinets and it is not cheap $300 per 4' x 8' sheet, but I have looked at this material and I will probably build my next subwoofer using it, I just finished a 18" maelstrom X sealed sub and although it sounds fantastic I am not happy with the finish at all. I will keep you updated and maybe get some pics up when I get the speakers.
post #45 of 108 Old 06-10-10, 03:17 PM
Shackster
john

An 18" sub in addition to the five others you already have? Man, that's going to be AWESOME with the Abbeys! I am totally thumbs when it comes to building anything so I envy your ability. Earl told me the backlog now is into October, I'm glad to see business is picking up for him, but it also means we all have to be much more patient in getting our speakers.
post #46 of 108 Old 06-10-10, 06:36 PM
dwr
Senior Shackster

The new sub isn't an addition, I will keep the number of subs at 5, but now after hearing the results of building the maelstrom I will be building 4 more subs to replace what I have now. I use 2 velodyne 10" powered subs right now for lfe. Those will be replaced by 2 sonotube sealed 12" dayton Titanic MKIII (keg subs) for the lfe. As for the two channel I will build a 15" sealed Dayton Titanic MKII to fire upward at about 52", and the 3rd sub will remain the same a 12" peerless xxls ported. I am putting 2400 watts to the maelstrom, and will put 950 to the Dayton 15" and 550 to the Peerless. The 2 keg subs will get 500 watts each. And jheyau when you and your buddy come out to listen to Earls system I would hope to have my Abbeys set up by then so if you guys are planning to stay the night or have the time, feel free to get ahold of me and come over and listen to the Abbeys in my room which sounds like from your description of yours is very close to the same mine is open to a breakfast nook kitchen to the left of my left speaker. I live about 20 minutes from Earl's place.
post #47 of 108 Old 06-10-10, 06:56 PM
Shackster
john

dwr, thank you very much for the kind offer, I will definitely keep that in mind. That upward firing sub at 52" above floor is exactly what the good doctor prescribes
post #48 of 108 Old 06-11-10, 11:10 AM
Senior Shackster

as a kid I had a sony boom box

My dad gave me his old technics reciver and Infinity KS 2000's (I think thats what they were)
when he bought his 2ch marantz and paradigam monitor 7's...he has had that setup for close to 20 years now and only had to replace the tweeters because my sister blew them out.

The tech reciver freaked out and made a pop one day and blew the woofers out so far the surrounds tore.

I kept them as night stands untill I got married,WAF dictated they could not stay.

I use a pair of old Aiwa shelf system speakers with my current yamaha reciver.

They sounded horrible with the shelf system when my sister had it, but they were pretty impressive powered by 100watts of yamaha power and a decent signal from my samsung DVD player.

I currently have a pair of Klipsch KG 4.2's

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...pecifications/

I love them, I think they sound waaaay better than the old Aiwas, but I actually like them better than my dads monitor 7's. The horn on the left one keeps cutting out so I will be opening them up at some point over the next week to check the internal wiring.

They are only 30" tall. I have been debating rebuilding them to make them taller, however I think I will just build a pair of subwoofers to use as stands to raise them up to a better listening position.

I want to get 3 of the 5.2's to use L/C/R and move the 4.2's to surrounds.
post #49 of 108 Old 07-05-10, 09:24 PM
dwr
Senior Shackster

jheyau, I am picking up the Abbeys on Wednesday, man am I geeked. And as a bonus, these are the first pair that Dr Geddes built using the new poly material for the cabinets and he wanted to see how the gloss black finish would work out, so I got the gloss black which is normally a $400 add on for free. I will let you know Wednesday night how they sound in my room.
post #50 of 108 Old 08-19-10, 12:31 AM
Inactive
Ty

Bose pair of 301 series 1 (I was 16 years old and with an included pioneer amp, paid $300 used)

DCM 3 way center channel and a pair of Jensen 3 ways. (I was 19 and paid about $500 for all new)

Bose Pair of 701's (I was 21 and paid $700 floor model with some signs of wear)

Bose pair of 301 series 4 (I was 25 and paid $150 used...still own, up for sale)

Bose pair of 901 series 6 with stands (I was 25 and paid $450 used....still own, up for sale)

Bose VCS10 center channel (I was 26 and paid $100 used...still own, up for sale)

Bose pair of companion 2 media speakers (I was 32 and paid $100 new....still own)

Bose 5.1 Acoustimass 6 series 3 (I was 32 and paid 500 new....still own, up for sale)

Infinity pair of P362s (I was 37 and paid $354 new...on order 8/19/2010)

Infinity PC350 center channel (I was 37 and paid $199 new....on order 8/19/2010)

HSU VTF-2 MK 3 Rosenut Subwoofer (I was 37 and paid $675.55 new...on order 8/19/2010)

Infinity pair of P162's (I was 37 and paid $170 new....on order 8/19/2010)

Unknown bookshelf pair for zone 2 (I was 37 and paid no more than $300 new...on order NLT 9/2/2010)

Last edited by TypeA; 08-19-10 at 11:26 AM.