Personal Speaker Evolution Thread - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 108 Old 08-20-10, 09:07 PM
Shackster
john

Re: Personal Speaker Evolution Thread

dwr,

It has been more than a month now since you took delivery of the Abbeys, congratulations! Can you share with us here your impression on these highly sought-after speakers? Wow, glossy black, how COOL!! You'll need to polish them often and handle them with white gloves!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 108 Old 08-20-10, 09:45 PM
dwr
Senior Shackster

jheyau, yes I have had the speakers for just over a month now, and I will say right off the bat that I now have far and away the best sound I have ever had in my room. I have the Abbeys set up with three subs for 2 channel listening following Geddes multiple sub theory. Neighbors and friends that have come over and listened to the system are completely amazed at the sound, these are people with what I call consumer level systems (read Best Buy) every one of them has asked how do you get the sound so "real" sounding. So needless to say I am COMPLETELY satisfied with these speakers. The best part of the whole thing is the excellent value that these speakers are. My previous 2 pairs of speakers over the last 6 years have been a pair of Martin Logan Ascent i with descent sub, and a pair of Linkwitz Orion ++ speakers. The value is the Abbeys are, a few hundred dollars less than the Logan setup and about $2000 less than the Orion system, and this is including the cost of my subs, that makes them a fantastic value in my book. As for the sound, I have listened to all kinds of music thru them over the last month at both low dB listening and Led Zepp at 101dB at the listening chair and the Abbeys sound every bit as crisp and clean from low volume to high its like there is no distortion to these speakers at all. I have listened to both solid state and tube amplification with them, as my CJ tube pre is out being modified right now I have them hooked up to my Rotel solid state amp and prepro, they sound great with either but I much prefer the tubes for 2 channel listening. They work great in the H/T mode as well as the front L & R speakers for my 5.1 listening/viewing but at heart I am an old fart 2 channel guy so thats where my emphasis is.
post #53 of 108 Old 08-24-10, 06:45 PM
Shackster

Back in High School I started with DIY speakers with some cabinet where no math was associated in it, just a box with DAI-1CHI OEM speakers (they're OEM for Klipsch among others).

My first manufactured speakers, which I find decent is Bose 301 Continental Edition. Only a few appeared in my country of residence, and after 15 years or so, they still serve as the FL/FR speakers in my home theater setup.

I sort of "walked away" from home audio for a while and when I built my first "audiophile" system, I bought the Inifinity Kappa 200 bookshelves. Love these speakers, but I sold them to a good friend who is not willing, as of yet, to sell it back to me.

I bought another speaker, the JBL LX2002 and loved it for my HT setup, which temporarily replaced the Bose. When another friend saw it, he begged for it to complete his all-LX2002 setup. So they're with him now.

The LSA1 monitors from the LSA Group was next. I purchased it supposedly for my office setup, to be driven by a HK vintage receiver. The receiver broke down, and I lost interest in the office setup so it was sold, with regrets.

In my 2-channel setup, I'm currently being spoiled by my DIY speakers, with the cabinet based on Altec 604 plans, with Altec 406-8Y 10" woofers, Oxford mid-horns, and Fostex FT-17H super tweeters. They're being driven by a Naim Audio NAIT 5i.

post #54 of 108 Old 08-24-10, 07:06 PM
dwr
Senior Shackster

Thats a great progression of real nice speakers there, I'll bet your DIYs sound great!!
post #55 of 108 Old 08-24-10, 07:44 PM
Shackster

dwr, thank you sir. They're great for my needs now as it offers the tone and tibre I prefer. I am going to upgrade my crossover, as I have some inductors coming from Germany. I hope to pull off a little bit more performance from that upgrade.
post #56 of 108 Old 08-24-10, 10:10 PM
Shackster
john

dwr, "101dB at the listening chair and the Abbeys sound every bit as crisp and clean from low volume to high its like there is no distortion to these speakers at all", now THIS is the performance trait of a truly great loudspeaker! I'm sure you will be spending all your hi-fi time in rediscovering your music collection. Congratulations again and enjoy, my friend!! BTW, how far is your listening chair from the Abbeys?
post #57 of 108 Old 08-24-10, 10:25 PM
dwr
Senior Shackster

I am 11 feet from the front plane of the speakers.....and yes I have been rediscovering my music collection for a month now one lp and cd at a time. And this system will be complete when I get my CJ preamp back from being modified, and I am having a phono preamp built this week, real nice 274B tube rectified unit that uses 12ax7s in the preamp section, and I am having Modwright do the tube mod on my Oppo bdp83se which modifies the 2 channel output of that unit to a tubed circuit using the modwright power supply. All 3 pieces should be back in the system the first week in Sept. I'll probably start rediscovering the music collection all over again then too!!
post #58 of 108 Old 08-27-10, 09:38 AM
Shackster

When I was a young teenager, I remember telling my mother that I wanted to get a nice stereo. I didn't really know WHAT "nice" meant at the time, just that I wanted something that was visceral.

For that Christmas, I received a Yorx (IIRC) all in one, AM/FM, 8-track, turntable with two little 10" tall speakers (RCA inputs on the back) with 4" full range drivers.

When I was 18, I had my first job and started reading the sterel magazines. I read a glowing report on the Pioneer CTF 1000 cassette deck as well as the ElectroVoice Interface D speaker.

I went to my local dealer and heard the EV's. I bought them on the spot. I knew my mother would freak out so I took them to my girlfriends apartment and kept them there for several weeks.

Later that year, I heard my first pair of Klipsch, story (long) here

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-thread-5.html

So now at the age of 19, I had a pair of ElectroVoice Interface D's and LaScalas. I took these to college with me and was the man when it came to cranking it up. I also played a number of frat parties, weddings and outdoor parties. I got paid for the frat parties.

I still have BOTH pair of these speakers although the EV's are currently stored in a closet with rotted woofers. I can't bring myself to sell/give them away nor as of yet, deal with fixing them.

Along this road, I also bought a pair of ESS speakers with the Heil AMT tweeter. I used these in my car...and they were stolen.

1994, I was getting into the HT deal and bought 3 Klipsch Academy's to mate up with my system. I didn't realize how inadequate the Academy would be for a center speaker between LaScalas and have since sold all three of them, obtaining another LaScala to use as a center.

Somewhere around 2006, I found a pair of walnut Klipschorns in Chicago. This was my dream to own and jumped on them. I drove the 12 hours (one way) to Chicago and brought them home. My wife freaked out when she saw how huge they were. I had enough foresight that PRIOR to her coming home and seeing them, I quickly put them in the corners where the corner would hide their actual size.

She got over them and while still detesting virtually any speaker over the size of those little 2" cubes that we all know about, she's learned to put up with them. I keep reminding her that I was a package deal.... I had these big speakers prior to knowing her.

Then, in 2007, I went to one of the Klipsch "Pilgrimages" and visited the plant in Hope. Something I had wanted to do decades earlier but thought it was rather strange that someone say, 25 years old would want to drive to a speaker factory a couple states away....how strange was that??

Little did I know but there had been MANY people who not only thought about this very thing but actually had the guts to act on it and actually make the trip. Most of these lucky guys had a chance to meet PWK and the stories range from meetings with him to visiting with him at his house and having lunch.

So, it was at this Pilgrimage that I first heard the Jubilee speaker. PWK's final project and his attempt to create the Klipschorn II and take the Khorn back to a 2-way speaker. From the start of the Eagles Hotel California (HFO track) I was intrigued on what I was hearing this speaker play while in mono at their lab. Then, the drumkick came in and pressurized that room like nothing I had ever heard before. I knew in the instant of hearing that initial drumkick that I loved this speaker and THIS is what I was after since telling my mother decades prior that I wanted a nice stereo.

I drove home after this gathering, talked to the wife (who seems, didn't fully grasp the depth of what I was saying and she said "do what you want"). I instantly SHUT UP with her, put my Khorns up for sale...had them sold literally, within one hour of their listing and I ordered the Jubilee's.

I lusted to own KLipschorns since I first heard them when I was 18 years old. I was now 47, had the "speakers of my life" and heard the Jubilee. I have now had the Jubilee's for several years and do not miss my Khorns for 3 seconds. The Jubilee's have completely vanquished the standard that the Khorn set for me when I was young.
post #59 of 108 Old 08-27-10, 10:20 AM
Senior Shackster
goonstopher

Wow, great story.

It really goes to show how different we all are. To my Klipsch sound like the most painful muddy and static-y speakers I have ever heard even compared to bose.

I guess speakers really can be all about tastes.
post #60 of 108 Old 09-13-10, 12:16 PM
Shackster
Ren

Hmmm....

I think my first speakers were some that came with an integrated turntable/amp/speaker system I bought while in the USAF. It may have been a Panasonic system but I don't remember.

After that, in sort of chronological order:

Advents?
British Fidelity (stolen when my house was robbed in 1994)
Radio Shack Minimus 7
ADC?
Dynaudio Contour 1.1
Zaph ZD5 (John Bateman built the cabinets and I did the rest)
Subwoofer using a Dayton RSS315HF-8 with an O-Audio 500 watt amp(Nik Brewer built the cabinet)