Mating bookshelfs with subwoofer - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 09-07-09, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Q

Re: Mating bookshelfs with subwoofer

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Does it need to be a bookshelf speaker?

I'm partial to Boston Acoustics, so I'll toss the VS 260 out there first.

There is the Exodus Audio Kepler.

Salk SongSurround I's.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1.

SVS MBS-01.

Totem Acoustics Model 1.

So many others too. I'm not trying to sway your opinion by any means, all I'm saying is if you are going to spend $1500 on bookshelves, make sure you've listened to as many options as you can.

If you are open to floorstanders, your options have just tripled
Thanks,
That is an interesting list which deserves some thought. Of course, the biggest barrier is how can I audition these. I have a local Totem dealer, so that should work okay (if they stock this model). Do you happen to know if the BA's are sold at Fry's or Best Buy? I'm guessing the SVS, Salks, and the Ascend would cost about $40 each to ship back. The Exodus is really interesting, but it seems pretty awkward to have to build a speaker to see if you like it. Can I trial the pre-built and return them if I didn't like (or order the kit if I did)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-08-09, 10:40 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Another couple I'd suggest you audition, and should not be too difficult to find a place, the Revel Performa M22, as long as you're there check the Concerta M12 (these are about half your budget and may be just what you're looking for) and the Monitor Audio gs10.

As for the RBH,... I'm biased, I'd get them . 61-SE/R is a great speaker. I'd double check your prices though. The Status Acoustic Decimo is about $2800 and last I saw the 61-SE/R comes in about $1499 in black.

Mark
post #13 of 16 Old 09-08-09, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Q

Quote:
nova wrote: View Post
As for the RBH,... I'm biased, I'd get them . 61-SE/R is a great speaker. I'd double check your prices though. The Status Acoustic Decimo is about $2800 and last I saw the 61-SE/R comes in about $1499 in black.
You are probably right. RBH pricing is not easy to find the internet (at least for the signature series).
I was guessing/remembering the price from an Audioholics review - http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...signature-se-r
They could not have made determining the actual price anymore confusing.
Thanks, I'll look into the others.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-08-09, 05:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

You would need to ask Kevin Haskins (he's on this forum), but I'm pretty sure you can audition the finished Kepler's as long as you cover shipping and don't damage them.

The Bostons's mentioned are their high end, so you would probably need to find an audio shop that carries Boston to listen to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-09-09, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Q

Thanks Steve.
It looks like they are discontinuing the Kepler's!
(see the Exodus forum)
post #16 of 16 Old 09-12-09, 02:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Greg

For $1500, I think you are going down the right path of getting the best bookshelf you can, vs going with a floorstander at that price point. I would agree with most here, to audition like crazy. I found, I liked the Era D5 ($1000) better than the Monitor Audio GR10 ($1500) I had previously. All ears are different...speakers are a VERY personal choice.