Went used speaker hunting today at the pawn shops - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 32 Old 09-30-09, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
John

Cool Went used speaker hunting today at the pawn shops

I got a infinity surround speaker for 10 bucks .. Everything works gret the only thing is i need to resurround the woofers .. I found a kit for 29.00 online .. so thats a pretty good deal ... the wood and cover are spotless .. I will get some pics.. The Specs are

Model : RS video black
-::- Frequency Response : 100 Hz - 25 KHz +3dB
-::- Crossover Frequency : 2200 Hz
-::- Sensitivity : 89 dB @ 2.8V -::- Impedance : 8 Ohms -::- Power Rating : 20 - 150 watts RMS into 8 Ohms
-::- Woofers : 5 1/4" [ x 2 ] -::- Tweeter : 1" Ferrofluid Cooled Polycell
-::- Cabinet : Black Ash
-::- Dimensions [ W x H x D ]: 465 x 115 x 120mm -::- Weight : 4.5kg

Only 1 ? the refoam kit says 5 inch and that it will fit my speaker model 902-6416
HMMM so is it a 5inch or 5.25 inch ... Or should I just get new speakers for it ..

The tweet is in mint condition..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-30-09, 05:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System
Re: Went used speaker hunting today at the pawn shops

10 bucks plus 30 for repair kit? Nice!!!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #3 of 32 Old 09-30-09, 06:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

That sounds like a great bargain-say, will those new surround kits bring the woof back up to spec? Which kit are you using/considering? Anyone know which are best/best value?

post #4 of 32 Old 09-30-09, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
John

Ok here it is I have been cleaning the woofers for about 2 hours... One thing that worries me is they say to remove the dust cap and use shims but these woofers it looks impossible to do because the dust caps are flat ..
post #5 of 32 Old 09-30-09, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
John

Should I try to get the dust covers off are just take a chance and put the surrounds on and be real careful ??? The cover for this that is not pictured is in mint shape as well so if the speakers turn out a little ugly you will not be able to tell ... The woofers are 4 ohms and they were wired in series then too a crossover and the Ferrofluid Cooled Polycell tweeter is in mint shape ... I am really worried about trying to get the dust caps off??? Do I have too shim it and take the dust caps off ?
post #6 of 32 Old 09-30-09, 11:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

I've never done a re-surround, but seems to me that shimming would center the voice coil and thus enable the re-surround most accurately. Otherwise, if you glue the surround to the cone first, let dry, then apply the glue to the frame, followed by pushing the surround into the wet glue while the driver is perfectly level, it seems that would be a good method.

Perhaps someone else has done this successfully?
post #7 of 32 Old 10-01-09, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
John

Well I decided to remove the dust cover .. it was a slow process but probably well worth it .. I used a little thinner and rubbing alchol and a razor blade .. Took me about an hour to get this one off ..
Attachments
post #8 of 32 Old 10-01-09, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
John

After removing both dust caps , I really see the need to shim before putting on the new surround because with out the surround the coil moves everywhere.. And if you are off one MM of an inch you will have to start all over .. so now I am going to shop for the new surround .. I think I am going to go with a woofer rubber surround instead of the cheap foam that was on it originally... More to come
post #9 of 32 Old 10-01-09, 08:14 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Sorry I missed this thread. I could have saved you some time. I have done many of these and found that rather than removing the dust cap, I can get more perfect centering by leaving it, and not risk getting dust and debris in the gap. What I do is use a slow drying glue (my favorite is WelBond) and start by gluing the surround to the cone. The slow drying lets me get the centering as even as possible. Once that dries, if you put a weight on the cone (use a smaller speaker) to push it down slightly, it lifts the outer edge of the surround off of the basket, allowing a bead of glue to be run along the inner edge of the basket under the surround. Then release the weight and let the cone rise up. The coil will be very close to centered in the gap if you are careful to place the weight inthe center because of the tension from the spider. Tamp down the outer edge, then as the glue is drying you can move the cone up and down to verify that there is no scraping of the coil on the poles. The slow drying glue lets you center it if needed.

The problem with shimming the gap is that you can get some uneven surrounds or pulling due to glue drying, and still get an off center job. You also have to be very careful not to get dust in the gap.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #10 of 32 Old 10-01-09, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
John

OOPs .. I guess if they screw up I could get some Dayton's and throw in there but i am tring to keep it all orginal .. I guess i Could glue the caps back on .. and I have a couple of old cv tweets I could set in the center of the speakers for weight ... I may try the shims .. my biggest problem with these 902-6416 speakers is that they are 4 ohm and hooked in series in the cabinet.. It is a center channel infinity .. And it is hard to find good 5.25 inch 4 ohm home speaker replacements.. Since I have already got the dust caps off should I shim it or just put the caps back on and try it with weight and slow drying glue..?