Recommendations for surrounds without breaking the bank? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 07:05 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Re: Recommendations for surrounds without breaking the bank?

Those bi-pole designs I think had their place back in the prologic days when the back channel was a single source. With discrete signals for the surrounds with DD and DTS, I think a traditional forward firing speaker makes more sense.

There are some that will argue that the bi-poles make a better surround, but I'm of the opinion that the regular speaker is better. They're easier to set up, they cost less (few drivers), they're smaller, and they're going to image better.

There may be an argument for a diffuse sound with the bi-poles/di-poles, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

If you look at the SVS 5.1 package, they use the SBS speakers as surrounds while using the SCS's up front. I know that a lot of the pacakges use the bi-poles in the back, but I think that has more to do with marketing than and real benefit.

Again, it's just my opinion and others may tell you otherwise. They'd be wrong of course..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 07:12 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Here is a short article that gives a fairly balanced comparison between the two formats. One note, I thought, and still do, that the di-poles had a harder time with their placement whereas the author of the attached article thinks the di-poles are easier.

I'm sure you can find a gajillion similar articles on the net if you'd like a more in-depth answer.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rancho

I sure do appreciate all the information. Let me ask you this. If I purchase the SBS for sides, (and my wife just suggested that I do. I told her Harry Potter and Ever After would be more realistic) would it be wise to place the dipoles/bipoles in the back? They'd be more powerful than the SC200's I have there currently.

post #14 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 07:35 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

That's a good question -- that I don't know the answer to.

My gut tells me that the speakers closest to the listening position should be the di-poles -- this is pseudo based on the article I linked to.

You know what I would do is contact SVS directly with your question. Tell them about the room you're in and the exact model speakers you're using and ask what they'd to. I'd be shocked if you don't get an answer within 24 hours. , I'd go ahead and post your question on the sub-board for SVS here. I'll admit I don't know how often they check the board, but I'm sure there is some regularity.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rancho

Great article on that link. Thank you. My theater is rather small (10x22) and the sofas are about 7 ft wide so it is thin. I do have the surrounds high and back a tad. With the room being so narrow, what should I think about direct radiating speakers needing more space to image? I really don't have that much space.

PS. What is the difference between bipole and dipole? My speakers let me switch between the two.
post #16 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 08:17 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Some quick comments..

I don't think you're too small for a direct radianting speaker
Dipole vs bipole -- here's a link for your reading pleasure. Which one is best for your situation? Don't know, but if it's as easy as a switch, I'd experiment and see what you think sounds best.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rancho

Another great read. Thanks. Looks like I have some experimenting to do.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-06-09, 12:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

A 4" midwoofer is definitely not up to task, so knowing what surrounds you are using now, yes, I would get something better. I still wouldn't spend a few hundred though, as you could have put that money towards better mains. You'd have to live with that guilt everytime you look at your surrounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #19 of 26 Old 10-06-09, 02:24 AM
Banned!

I used for many years a pair of Boston Acoustic Dipoles VRS IIRC as my rears in the days of Prologic Surround and they gave me fantastic performance when mounted correctly, a lot people who are more interested in multichannel audio do not like using this type of speaker as they give a diffused sound rather than the direct radiating speaker, but if movies are what interests you then they certainly give a good sound, I now use tripoles which actually work even better than dipoles and give an enveloping sound which really needs to be listened to, to appreciate the quality of surround sound they can give !
post #20 of 26 Old 10-06-09, 04:11 PM
Shackster

Walt

In order to use dipole or bipole how much does the room dimensions, walls etc play a part in their effectiveness? Should this question be on another thread??

Rock n' Roll All Nite and watch blus everyday