Recommendations for surrounds without breaking the bank? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 26 Old 10-04-09, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rancho

Recommendations for surrounds without breaking the bank?

I've got SVS SCS-01's for fronts and an SVS sub. I'm using my old surrounds for now but was wondering what is considered a great bang for the buck (Like my SVS's) in surround speakers. Budget is maybe three hundred bucks for both, at the absolute most, since the ones I use now are decent.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-04-09, 11:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Re: Recommendations for surrounds without breaking the bank?

Surround sound quality is negligible. You mention the ones you use now are decent - as long as they aren't satellites and actually have a seperate tweeter and woofer, I'd say stick with them and save your money.

Just out of curiosity, because you were willing to spend $300, wouldn't the pair of SCS for mains have run about $350?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 01:15 AM
Banned!

I'd agree with steve, if you say the surrounds you have are decent then why change? on the other hand though if you were to change just match the rears with some more SVS speakers, which makes sense then, and that would be the best solution....

post #4 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 09:08 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
I agree with John (Recruit). It is nice to have matching tweeters on all of your speakers so the SVS would be a good call. That would give you true timbre matching. Because the Cambridge are so tiny, it might be worthwhile to go ahead and upgrade. Though I would not think it essential.
Cheers,
JJ
post #5 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rancho

The side surrounds are Cambridge Soundworks S200's and the rears are MC200's.

Here is a link for the surrounds. http://cambridgesoundworks.com/store...=53CW0010AA001

Although this link is for 205, it is basically a 200 from what I could find.

I am kind of a newb and one thing I did notice... Audessey put my surrounds at 150hz. According to the specs on the link, what should I set these side surrounds at on my Onkyo 705?
post #6 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 11:29 AM
Banned!

Quote:
Rancho5 wrote: View Post

I am kind of a newb and one thing I did notice... Audessey put my surrounds at 150hz. According to the specs on the link, what should I set these side surrounds at on my Onkyo 705?
Audyssey is usually pretty good with detecting the xovers on speakers although running the xover that high can usually lead to the subs location being more audible, the specs say 100hz so I would set it to that and see how you get on...remember xovers are not brickwalls and they roll off at the given frequency so output is still being reproduced below the 100hz...
post #7 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 04:56 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

I'd get the SBS from SVS. It has the same tweet and woofer I think and runs $225/pair.. scratch that, they're now $209/pair.

I know that the surrounds aren't as important, but I think with these, the tonal balance should be a pretty good match so when you pan from behind forward, it should blend well. SCS's would be even better IMO, but if you're looking to stay on the cheap, I think the SBS is the way to go.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rancho

Forgive my ignorance please but I thought side surrounds had to be triangular-ish with speakers facing each way whereas the SCS's are direct facing.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 05:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

No, the "triangular-ish" speakers you are talking about are multipolar speakers. They are an individual preference, but not necessary for everyone. I would definitely look into getting the SCS for surrounds as everyone else has said.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #10 of 26 Old 10-05-09, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Rancho

What are the benefits/drawbacks of multipole vs standard?