JBl Northridge E90 EC35 E10 - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 35 Old 01-19-07, 01:37 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Re: JBl Northridge E90 EC35 E10

I've heard the JBL's and was impressed for the price. But for the same price as a pair of floorstanding JBL's I built some TMWW with the Dayton RS driver's that sound fabulous. But I am DIY bias.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 01-19-07, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

I wanted to build, but I'm so lazy...
post #23 of 35 Old 01-26-07, 06:23 PM
rjbudz
Inactive

I have to put in my agreement with the statement about the value of JBL speakers. I've auditioned dozens of speakers and that is the one truth I've found. The best bang-for-buck speakers come from JBL. It's really amazing that they get so little press on the (ahem) 'other' forums. I, too, have found that I'd need to go to ~5 grand/pair to sense an 'upgrade' from my S312's. (I'm using antique J350A's and Infinity Refs for surrounds, and a JBL E35 center.)

My hearing is plenty shot, too, from one too many concerts, R&R jams, and ear infections....maybe I just can't tell the difference between a 'good' speaker and a 'bad' one. Or not. LOL.

(Still...these lovely S312's are goners the second I can afford some Sonus Faber Grand Pianos or Aerial 7B's. )

Good cheer.

post #24 of 35 Old 01-26-07, 06:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Quote:
rjbudz wrote: View Post
I have to put in my agreement with the statement about the value of JBL speakers. I've auditioned dozens of speakers and that is the one truth I've found. The best bang-for-buck speakers come from JBL. It's really amazing that they get so little press on the (ahem) 'other' forums. I, too, have found that I'd need to go to ~5 grand/pair to sense an 'upgrade' from my S312's. (I'm using antique J350A's and Infinity Refs for surrounds, and a JBL E35 center.)

My hearing is plenty shot, too, from one too many concerts, R&R jams, and ear infections....maybe I just can't tell the difference between a 'good' speaker and a 'bad' one. Or not. LOL.

(Still...these lovely S312's are goners the second I can afford some Sonus Faber Grand Pianos or Aerial 7B's. )

Good cheer.
Not to put Sonus Faber down, but I saw a recent review of some of their most expensive speakers and they did not measure so great and had audible port noise. But I'll never afford a pair of those so.....
post #25 of 35 Old 01-29-07, 05:33 PM
rjbudz
Inactive

Quote:
kano32 wrote: View Post
Not to put Sonus Faber down, but I saw a recent review of some of their most expensive speakers and they did not measure so great and had audible port noise. But I'll never afford a pair of those so.....
Have you heard them, Scott? If so, what was your listening experience?

I consider reviews, unless involving A/B/X or double blind testing methods to be reasonably useless. Perhaps you could put up a link to the review you mentioned. Speakers are subjective...one does not hear 'measurements'...and reviews generally involve a huge variety of front-end equipment, depending upon the reviewer...also rendering the results/opinions below some level of 'truth' or 'proof'.

Here are 38 reviews of the Grand Pianos.

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125560_1594crx.aspx

They all represent a different opinion, whether from audiophile or average Joe (sorry AverageJoe). Some say too much bass. Some say too much treble. Some say too much midrange. Most say "JUST RIGHT". Reviews, for the most part are merely opinions.

Last edited by rjbudz; 01-29-07 at 05:44 PM.
post #26 of 35 Old 01-29-07, 10:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Quote:
rjbudz wrote: View Post
Have you heard them, Scott? If so, what was your listening experience?

I consider reviews, unless involving A/B/X or double blind testing methods to be reasonably useless. Perhaps you could put up a link to the review you mentioned. Speakers are subjective...one does not hear 'measurements'...and reviews generally involve a huge variety of front-end equipment, depending upon the reviewer...also rendering the results/opinions below some level of 'truth' or 'proof'.

Here are 38 reviews of the Grand Pianos.

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125560_1594crx.aspx

They all represent a different opinion, whether from audiophile or average Joe (sorry AverageJoe). Some say too much bass. Some say too much treble. Some say too much midrange. Most say "JUST RIGHT". Reviews, for the most part are merely opinions.

No I haven't heard them and I agree that reviews can be useless. Most reviewers praise just about everything they review so they can continue to review more.

I was speaking from memory... I remeber the review being good but some comments on the port noise, internal construction and a not so great FR. I'm sure they are ten times better than anything I'll ever own. I hope I didn't offend, I was just throwing something out there.

Take care.

PS, I found the link.

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/506sf/
post #27 of 35 Old 01-29-07, 11:47 PM
rjbudz
Inactive

Quote:
kano32 wrote: View Post
No I haven't heard them and I agree that reviews can be useless. Most reviewers praise just about everything they review so they can continue to review more.

I was speaking from memory... I remeber the review being good but some comments on the port noise, internal construction and a not so great FR. I'm sure they are ten times better than anything I'll ever own. I hope I didn't offend, I was just throwing something out there.

Take care.

PS, I found the link.

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/506sf/
No offense taken, Scott. I was clarifying for other readers that reviews are like opinions....which are like navels....everyone's got 'em, and they're all different. It so happens that my opinion includes a huge amount of affection for the sound of SF speakers. To each his own, and I honor that. One should probably refrain from too negative a statement without having heard the item, however. As I pointed out, there are tons of really positive reviews too. I'd recommend that, if possible, others should give this wonderful brand of Italian art a listen.

I do, however, question your comment about port noise or build problems in this review. I saw nothing but massive amounts of drooling over the Amatis by the reviewer. Did I miss something?

They're also likely 10 times more speaker than I'll ever be able to afford as well. But a pretty girl 'can' be enjoyed from afar. Good cheer.
post #28 of 35 Old 01-30-07, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

We've gotten totally off topic here... you guys might wanna discuss this via PM or email... or maybe start a new thread...

Thanks!
post #29 of 35 Old 01-30-07, 10:26 AM
rjbudz
Inactive

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
We've gotten totally off topic here... you guys might wanna discuss this via PM or email... or maybe start a new thread...

Thanks!
Sorry, Sonnie. I guess it's a little like discussing hearing aids in the thread, eh?

You had mentioned that you were going to update us on the JBL's. Have you rendered a final judgement on the set? Thumbs up or down?
post #30 of 35 Old 01-30-07, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Well with me needing hearing aids I'm not sure how objective my final judgment is...

I like these speakers... they seem to do very well overall. I do believe the SVS SBS-01 system is smoother and warmer than the JBL. The JBL's were on the bright and forward side initially, but have improved with use... well enough to satisfy me. I would like to try the SVS MTS towers once they become available.