JBl Northridge E90 EC35 E10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 35 Old 10-23-06, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
JBl Northridge E90 EC35 E10

My JBL distributor made me a mad offer today on some of their close-out Northridge speakers so I ordered up some. They slashed the cost so they can move them on out and make room for the newer models coming soon. I looked at few reviews on these and am surprised at what they can offer for the price. These actually seem like a fairly popular speaker. I can't wait to see how they perform in the HT room.

E90

EC35

E10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-23-06, 11:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: JBl Northridge E90 EC35 E10

Cool stuff sonnie. I like CHEAP stuff Those were the first speakers that caught my eye entering into this hobby...I'll be awaiting your impressions of these

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #3 of 35 Old 10-24-06, 12:23 AM
Senior Shackster

Fincave

Send a message via Skype™ to Fincave

I had some of those before I was struck down with 'upgraditis'. I was using the E35 as a centre, E10s as rears and an E25 as rear centre. I had xTi 80 as mains, could have gotten the Northridge series but I preferred the xTi's which are an earlier model. They were my first 'proper' speakers and I did get very many hours of enjoyment out of them. The person who bought them from me is still as pleased as punch wth his speakers. For the price I paid for them they were hard to beat!

post #4 of 35 Old 10-24-06, 01:22 PM
Shackster

Jim

Sonnie,
I've always been a big fan of JBL's stuff. I have the Studio 38's and Center for front stage, and the new Venue Balcony's as my rears (replaced my S26's, moved to the bedroom).
I think you'll be pleased with the way they sound. The E90's rock, and the EC35 is a nice center as well. I did find the E10 sounded a bit on the thin side. If your receiver has assignable x-overs, you may want to cross them at 100 as they roll off pretty hard below 90Hz.
Good luck.
Jim

"Relax. Don't worry. Have a Homebrew."
Charlie Papazian
post #5 of 35 Old 10-24-06, 11:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Im interested in a subjective comparison between these JBL's and your current system Sonnie. Interesting stuff indeed.

post #6 of 35 Old 10-24-06, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

HA! My hearing is terrible and that may be why just about anything seems to sound good to me. I'm beginning to wonder if I could get by with the cheapest of the cheapest when it comes to the sound system and put more focus on the image quality.
post #7 of 35 Old 10-25-06, 08:09 AM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
HA! My hearing is terrible and that may be why just about anything seems to sound good to me. I'm beginning to wonder if I could get by with the cheapest of the cheapest when it comes to the sound system and put more focus on the image quality.
Hey Sonnie you might have to BFD your hearing aids

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #8 of 35 Old 10-25-06, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

HA HA HA! Might not be a bad idea.
post #9 of 35 Old 10-25-06, 08:22 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Rodny Alvarez wrote: View Post
Hey Sonnie you might have to BFD your hearing aids
Haha, nice one. Wish I would've thought of that.

Sonnie, please don't let your poor hearing stop you from building that IB. You'll barely be able to hear it but you WILL feel it

post #10 of 35 Old 10-25-06, 08:30 PM
Senior Shackster

MrPorterhouse

Quote:
azjimmy wrote: View Post
I think you'll be pleased with the way they sound. The E90's rock, and the EC35 is a nice center as well. I did find the E10 sounded a bit on the thin side.
Jim
I agree completely. I had the E90 mains/EC35 center/E30 rears in my setup for just over one month. They were the set that I assembled for my sister and had to "store" them in my house for a month while she was moving into a new place. Over the course of that month, I came to the conclusion that they were one of the(if not THEE) best value speakers ever built. Yes, I mean EVER built. The E90's significantly better than the E80 mains, and they have tremendous clarity and detail. The EC35 is a very capable center channel and blend perfectly with the E90's, and the clarity and detail mimic the E90's. The power of that front soundstage is going to floor you! When you look at the price paid, you are going to be shaking your head at how such a small investment can produce such an amazing sound.

The E10 rears are weak. Even for rears, the E10's can't give you much at all. I didn't think the E20's were even enough, so that's why I went with the E30's for rears, even crossed over at 80Hz, the E30's are about as little as you can go in the Northridge line and get decent dynamics. The E10's are certainly going to be thin and you'll likely miss out on any significant dynamics coming from the rears. You're in luck, though, because the rears are only called upon to carry such dynamics less than 5% of the time. I don't know how much you got your package for, but I paid $700 for the E90/EC35/E30 package back in 2005. You can still get the E30's for $119/pair shipped to your door from B&H Photo Video. You could donate the E10's to a good cause, and pick up the E30's at that minimal cost to add a significant upgrade to your rears.