Crossover Frequency and DB level - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 05-08-06, 11:56 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Crossover Frequency and DB level

Okay... sorry if I wasn't clear on that before Arun. These frequencies are actually in hertz (hz) not megahertz (mhz)... just to clear that up.

3" speakers are not going to produce deep bass at loud volumes... but you do have three in each main speaker and two in the center so this will help some... but they still ain't gonna produce loud and deep bass.

What I actually suggested was trying a lower crossover setting and see how it sounded. If you lost bass at 100hz then go back to 120hz or even higher if the bass gets better. What that means is your mains are not producing much below 120hz really... which may be about right for those small speakers.

Try this:

Speaker Level check
Front Left: +5.0db
Front Right: +5.5 db
Center: +5.0db
Surround Left: +3.5db
Surround Right: +5.0db
Surround Back: +5.5db
Subwoofer: -0.5db

Increase sub until you get enough bass to satisfy yourself. If -0.5db is not enough then move it on up to +5.5db. That would be 10db higher than what you originally had it. In the Denon... yes... once you set these and exit they are saved and you will not lose them.

You may have experiment with the sub setting until you get the right amout of bass you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-09-06, 07:11 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Send a message via MSN to Danny

Okay some of these may have already been answered but anyway. With speakers for low frequency's you want a large driver to move a lot of air and give you a really nice bass response. For high freq speakers they need to be small because of the rate at which they need to move to produce the HF sounds (eg 10000Hz = 10000 vibrations a second). Just using your ears without any fancy equipment you can normally get within 1-3 Db of a system calibration that was done with pro equipment, just listen carefully. If you have an Eq when setting it try to make the amount of cut and boost equal or very close to it, otherwise the louder sound will sound better to your ears. Crossovers in subs are used to eliminate the higher
'muddy' bass frequency's.

D.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-09-06, 12:24 PM
barun
Inactive

Hello Sonnie,

Thank you very much.I will let you know the results. I want to know whether increasing the crossover frequency means more lower frequency's are transferred to the subwoofer and in increasing beyond 120 Mhz whether it would affect the speakers or the subwoofer or not?

Regards,

Arun

post #14 of 21 Old 05-09-06, 01:24 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Well... yes and no. Increasing the crossover means higher frequencies in the lower range are going to be directed to the sub. It may increase your sub response by enabling the sub to be able to play some of those lower frequencies that your mains can't play as well... but it does not extend the lowest regions of the sub bass. You got what you got there already. Increasing past 120hz may or may not help... you'll just have to experiment with it.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-10-06, 02:50 PM
Senior Shackster

I agree with everything mentioned above. But think about it this way. Your speakers have relatively small drivers. Automatically they're nature is to perform optimally in the higher frequencies. By sending these speakers as little bass as possible you improve their ability to shine at what they're good at doing, playing in a higher frequency range. Your main amp will have more power to provide to your smaller speakers when crossing over high. This is because bass takes power to produce. The power you send to those little speakers to produce frequencies that they're incapable of properly producing is nothing but a waste of useful headroom.

If you don't have a BFD for your sub, get one fast!
If you don't have REW, get it now!
post #16 of 21 Old 06-05-06, 12:30 AM
jbarcelona4
Inactive

Hi,
I ran a test today using only my front paradigm 100 speakers, without sub. The reading showed that at 30 hz. I was reading 87 db. with a RS meter, the older one. The thing I don't understand about this is that my crossover is set at 80 in the pre amp. It seems to me between 20 and 70, the reading should be very low. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong.
Thanks,
Joe
post #17 of 21 Old 06-05-06, 07:56 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Hi there,

Is it possible that your main speakers are set to "LARGE" in the "speaker size" setup on your receiver or pre/pro? My processor will not apply a high-pass crossover to any speaker set to "LARGE", although it will continue to apply low-pass crossover to the sub.

That'd be my first guess.

-- Otto

-- Otto
post #18 of 21 Old 06-05-06, 08:43 AM
jbarcelona4
Inactive

Thanks Otto,
That is the 1st thing I checked. I have all 5 presets in the Preamp set to small, for all speakers and the crossover is set at 80 from the preamp. The sub. is set to out. Thanks for the reply.
Joe
post #19 of 21 Old 06-05-06, 10:15 AM
Friend of the Shack

Otto

Hmmm. Could you perhaps be in some sort of "bypass" mode that ignores your bass management settings? Can you change "modes" (e.g., "stereo" to "dolby pro logic" to "5-channel stereo" or something like that)? Do these give the same results?

Also, how are you exciting the 30 Hz signal? With REW? A signal generator?

If your high pass filter is set at 80 Hz, there is still a roll off value. So it'll take some distance (in frequency) to drop the amplitude. Still, I think that 87 dB at 30 Hz is really high. What is your SPL measurement using the same setup at 60, 80 and 100 Hz?

-- Otto

-- Otto
post #20 of 21 Old 06-05-06, 02:41 PM
jbarcelona4
Inactive

Otto,
I tried the different crossovers, but at 30 Hz it didn't make a difference. I'm really lost on this one. I know there is a rolloff, but there must be something remiss in my preamp. I am still fooling with it and if I find a solution, I'll reply.
Thanks again,
Joe