Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 187 Old 04-21-10, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Re: Thoughts on Behringer Studio Monitors (2030 and others), active and passive

Thanks for the reply, they're supposed to be here on Monday, and though I won't have a chance to open them for another few weeks (moving day next week), I'm excited to give them a listen.

I'm also definitely going to try out the $20 mods listed here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-mod-list.html

Now I just need to find someone to sell me a single sheet of OC 705.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 187 Old 04-21-10, 12:43 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Eugovector,

I have no less than 10 B2031A's and I've had them for many years. I have only had one problem and it was a defective amp on one speaker, but it did not work when I received it. It wasn't like it just quit one day. Otherwise they've been flawless. I prefer them to the passive version's personally. They are an incredible value IMHO passive or active.

Also in the first post of this thread it was noted that the off axis response is not that great and i beg to differ. The measurement posted shows what looks to be very good performance at up to 90deg off axis due to the waveguide. It does degrade significantly from there, but you have to ask yourself if you plan on listening to these from that far off. Most people don't.

Anyway. My 2 cents.
yeah they certainly do have good off-axis response.
post #23 of 187 Old 04-21-10, 12:46 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
Thanks for the reply, they're supposed to be here on Monday, and though I won't have a chance to open them for another few weeks (moving day next week), I'm excited to give them a listen.

I'm also definitely going to try out the $20 mods listed here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-mod-list.html

Now I just need to find someone to sell me a single sheet of OC 705.
You can use rockwool as well.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Ro...f-6--RB60.html will do the trick.

http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--Ro...0--RB60-S.html single pieces.

Do use gloves. It's not fiber, but it's still not fun to get all over your hands.

post #24 of 187 Old 04-21-10, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Rumor has it there's an SPI in Portland, but I haven't visited yet. I'll probably be hitting them up for 12 pieces of 703 for some acoustic panels or bass traps once I need a new project, and while I doubt they'll want to sell me a single piece of 705 or equiv, it can't hurt to ask. Maybe they'll have some broken or damaged boards.

And yes, I'll definitely do gloves and mask while cutting, and probably wrap the pieces in polyfill to keep the fibers from coming out the ports.
post #25 of 187 Old 04-26-10, 06:07 AM
Sam

Did they arrive?

Im currently trying to decide between 2031p on some nice stands for the living room or Dali Concept 6's. Interested to hear opinions on the choice between the two

On and eugovector im planning a simple matt black finish for the stands, if i get the 2031P over the concept 6's then ill be building some 600mm high versions. A photo of how im currently using the 2031A's in my bedroom computer system.

post #26 of 187 Old 04-26-10, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

They are supposed to arrive today, but they are getting shipped to my Mother-in-laws while we move. Probably won't get to them for another few weeks, unfortunately. More pressing matters at hand.
post #27 of 187 Old 04-26-10, 10:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Any comments would be appreciated from those who have heard/owned both the active and passive. Which is the better sounding and why? Which plays better loud, assuming a decent amp for the passive?
Price locally is $A250/pr and $A439/pr passive and active respectively from a store just near work.

Reason I'm asking is I've been playing with some prototypes that will become my 4 surrounds and I think with the HE JBL 10" mid, CDs + WGs, they're overkill with the modest room dimensions and neighbour respecting levels I can use (typically no more than about -10 to 15dB). I can recycle them into later projects.

A quick test with my old KEF K140 sitting on the JBL2225 6th order ported box with the same 300Hz active xover cleaned them up a lot and sounded very good at reasonable levels. Yesterday my thoughts were drifting towards some B&C 6MD38 and SB29 tweeters but the B's might be a more cost effective solution.

Sides are about 1.5m and rears 2.5m and I've tried dipoles and omnis in my previous place (slightly bigger room) and didn't like them as much as monopoles.

I have enough amps and DCX's on hand to triamp everything and drive a wodge of subs already.

Sorry for rambling, but I have a monstrous migraine and it shuffles thoughts a bit.
post #28 of 187 Old 04-27-10, 11:39 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

I personally think that the active's sound a little better. It's something in the upper midrange around the crossover point most likely, but that could just be my imagination. With a stout amp (not a reciever) the passives should be able to go a little louder, but I'm not sure how much more power you'd really want the drivers to absorb.
post #29 of 187 Old 04-27-10, 06:38 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
eugovector wrote: View Post
Rumor has it there's an SPI in Portland, but I haven't visited yet. I'll probably be hitting them up for 12 pieces of 703 for some acoustic panels or bass traps once I need a new project, and while I doubt they'll want to sell me a single piece of 705 or equiv, it can't hurt to ask. Maybe they'll have some broken or damaged boards.

And yes, I'll definitely do gloves and mask while cutting, and probably wrap the pieces in polyfill to keep the fibers from coming out the ports.
703 would work fine.
post #30 of 187 Old 04-27-10, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

I thought it might, has to be better than what they typically use.

B2031As delivered yesterday and sitting in the mother-in-laws garage 1.5 hours north. Moving day is this weekend, so I'm sure it will be a couple weeks before I even get them, and several months before I start on mods, but it will be fun when I get around to them. Thanks for your help, and I'll be sure to post a video of the process as well as my before/after opinions (need to see if I can get up to speed with some objective testing before then).

Anyone who is in the Salem, OR area and wants some first hand experience with them, just let me know.